Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Blues

My baseball team is in the toilet, it's still raining and gray, and while it's a short slow week at work I still don't want to be here. Add to that the pain in my shoulder and I'm not having a great day. Surgery is looming.

I had a very very cranky man call last week.
While that is nothing new the rest of the story is.
This man was such a cranky Gus to me but we moved along and I booked an estimate for him.
Rick reads his paperwork before he goes in and he saw that the man was "cranky" and bordering mean on the phone with me so that he would be prepared for what was ahead of him.   (Although many times they are just rude to the "girl" in the office and not the "man")

Rick walked in to view the 2 bathrooms he would be working on and the man said to Rick, "Can you believe my tenant took brown paint and fucking painted her wall tiles with it?"

Then realizing what he had just said out loud, he began to apologize.
He said, "Aaah, Sorry about that word, I'm a cranky old bastard and this whole thing is really pissing me off I hope I haven't offended you."

Rick replied, "I'm a cranky old bastard myself so you did not offend me sir"

Well that was all it took, the man laughed a big loud hearty laugh and patted Rick on the back.
(Come to find out he is only 3 yrs older than Rick)
Then he showed Rick his issues that the tenant left behind and explained the remodeling that was to take place. At this point Rick said it was like they were old pals. The guy was laughing but as salty as ever and Rick said he liked him. He was funny, salty and he had a gruff demeanor until you broke through.

Rick gave him an estimate and said he was to call me if he wished to get on the schedule.
He made a noise and Rick wasn't sure what the hell that meant. So he said, "pardon me?"
The COB (cranky old bastard) said, "Oh that gal is your office is little miss sunshine and that happy shit annoys me. Couldn't even get under her skin.  Is she working today?" 

Rick laughed and said, "Little Miss Sunshine gets Saturday off I'm the only one working on weekends."

Of course my husband called me immediately to tell me this because like you, he knows I am not little miss sunshine for real. I just have my "peggy face" for work.

Guess who called me today? Yep, COB and he was so damn funny and pleasant.
He actually called and when I answered he said, "This is 'insert name',  the cranky old bastard who you talked to last week.  I know it's the same person because you are so damn chipper.  You do know that being that nice is annoying to people like me don't you?"

OMG this man was making me laugh.
I told him I was really a cranky old wench and that if he'd prefer I could be cranky too.
He said, "Ah, I don't think ya have it in you babe."
Okay I ignored his "babe" remark. (But then he did tell me he worked on the hill / Congress so I realize they only know how to be politically incorrect and treat women like 2nd class citizens.)

Now if he only knew what a misanthropic gal I really am he would change his tune wouldn't he?

10 comments:

Mike said...

Did you attach a COB upcharge to the estimate?

Kathleen's Blog said...

Love this story---ha ha!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - boy that would be a fun surcharge - banking that after a week I'd be in Hawaii!

Ms. A said...

He probably makes plenty of money for you to seriously consider that upcharge.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms. A - no worries we're doing okay on the job. He gave me his credit card because he will be out of state for the next 3 weeks. He told me not to go shopping with it. I laughed and said, "Damn! and here I was just thinking Nordstroms here I come"
He replied, "Macy's maybe but not enough left foryou & Nordstroms."
So he became quit nice to me. Go figure.

mamahasspoken said...

Reason number 356 as to why I couldn't do your job. The teacher in me would have put him in his place.....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie- The cranky old wench in me wants to out him his place too!

I Wonder Wye said...

OH geez, 'unload' on COB.....it would set him on his heels......I can't work with the public.....too much of a misogynist at this point....

Barbara said...

Cute story. Sometimes it is really hard to be nice. Glad it worked out in the end and lucky for him you couldn't reach through the phone line and give him a one-two punch.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wonder - I don't know how I do it most days. But I don't like to be on the phone at night or chat either. After work is done it's all out of me. look out. :-)

barbara - oh yea, I could give a lot of people the one two. Especially the old men who tell me they wish to speak to a man. Thankfully the man gets on the phone listens to the issue and tells them they have to speak with me. makes me laugh every damn time!