Friday, July 12, 2013

Nothing is Working!


It is finally Friday.
This has been one of the longest weeks of my life.
Everything seems to be breaking down at record speed in our home including us.
This week the following things have died while using them.
  • My husbands laptop died.
  • My husbands knees
  • Our TV died.
  • My blender/food processor combo died (i use this constantly!!)
  • My H2O mop died (so I have an excuse why i didn't wash the floor)
  • My flexible hose died and duck tape won't help it anymore.
We paid to get Rick's laptop repaired a few weeks ago.
It worked awhile and it will now cost another few hundred to try this again and they can't promise anything.
A few hundred here and a few hundred there makes us think we need to just bite the bullet and fork out the bucks to buy a tablet. We have finally determined it will be a Surface Pro. He needs it for work so looks like we'll be spending some cash this weekend on that.
We both know he needs it out in the field for counter top fabrication but seriously we didn't want to have to spend this money right now.

Rick's doctors appointment was interesting.
The doctor told him the cartilage in his knee is that of a 20 something.
He said this with such an excited manner that it made us both laugh.
Whoopee - Rick has young cartilage....that is about the only thing young left on the poor bastard. 
As with his shoulders he has some arthritis in his knees.
But that is still not what is causing him the excruciating pain.
Nope those are bone spurs on the top of his knees.
On the x-ray they looked like shards of glass that are tearing at his tendons.
Those are from him being on his knees every day for his job.
So they can only do a few things for him. They put him on this steroid pack to help with the inflammation that was out of control. They gave him some pain medication to help him sleep. If this doesn't give him relief then they will go in and clean 'em out. That will be a month or so off work.  For the self employed that is horrific news.

The doctor seemed to think this would give him some time, like a year or so.
So we must plan for this time off.  This also makes me the caregiver go into survival mode.
Y'all know I love my Big Guy dearly but my God he is a royal pain in the ass baby when he is sick or incapacitated. There will be whining, macho statements on how he's fine, and he will do things he is not supposed to do. Which will cause him pain or a set back.
Then of course we have the crankiness because he isn't fine and he thinks he should be doing everything because he's the man.
Oh I just can't wait. I may have to just keep him heavily medicated.
Is that wrong?

Last night as I was reading his medication packet I saw that it stated not to drink because it could cause internal bleeding. I read this aloud to Rick as he is on his 2nd cocktail.
"Didn't you read this?" I ask him.
"Oops," he says.
He didn't believe me so I handed him the information to read for himself.
"Well I'll finish this drink and I won't drink again until I'm done with my meds. I don't think I'll bleed out tonight"  And he laughs. Aargh!
Damn right you won't drink until you're done with your meds mister. Seriously. 
He just got yelled at for taking all the ibuprofen (like me) so then he does this.
What a big ole idiot. He can be so damn frustrating.

Now to my TV. It is our TV on the 3rd floor.  It just up and died this week.
It lived a long life of 13 years. I guess that is long in TV years.
I love watching TV on the 3rd floor. I love reading on the 3rd floor.
The TV room is between two bedrooms and a bath. It is cavernous with no windows.
I love being up there all hunkered down with a book, where it is darker and quiet.
Because the room has theatre seats that recline I have been up there more lately because as I mentioned before, it is most comfortable with my shoulder problem. But the TV began acting weird. When I  shook the Joey (satellite box) it would then be fine.

I wanted to be sure this wasn't the satellite box. I called satellite folks to see if they could help me.  They walked me through some things and they determined that I needed a new box. The arranged for their service person to come out to my home to install this new Joey and activate it.
Their man Mark comes out and puts in a new box. It didn't help. It's the TV we all assume. 
The TV is 13 years old and one of the first HD TVs. It is a 13 year old Sony HD that cost an enormous amount of money back in the day compared to what they cost today. I have a 55 inch smart TV and HD that was a quarter of the price of this big old Sony tube type from 2000. It also weighs over 200 lbs. 

Because I had a TV left from the lake house I asked the man from the satellite company if we could put that one on the floor and hook it up to the box and be sure that it was indeed the old TV that wasn't working properly.
This extra television is a newer slim HD TV just smaller. 
My thinking was if this TV worked them we knew for certain it was the TV and not the satellite box. He was very accommodating and said he'd do that for me.
He turned it on and it appeared to work so he left.
I went back upstairs and turned it on and the remote kept turning on the old TV as well.
So I unplugged the old TV. Now the new one didn't work. So I called the man who had just left my home and he walked me through a bunch of things and nothing worked.
He suggested he come back today because he couldn't figure it out either.
I just want something to work well in this damn house this week.
I don't think that is much to ask for.
Apparently no one agrees with me.

15 comments:

Arnebya said...

We have a mouse (which means we probably actually have mice (as I cringe)). No one in my house seems to be at the same level of clean all the things but me. And then my mop handle broke. So, I feel your unclean floor pain.

Was the guy able to fix the tv today?

LL Cool Joe said...

I wondered why you wanted shake me!

Having young cartilage doesn't really go with arthritis does it? You'd assume that if you have great bones you wouldn't have arthritis. But what do I know?

Anyway, I hope you sort all your issues out. What a week! I have an ipad and hate it. I can't get used to the keyboard at all.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...


Arnebya - guy hasn't arrived yet. You know the ole noon to 5pm deal. So that means he'll be here by 6pm right?

Ah, mice come even if you are clean.But they freak me the @#$% out. Good luck with that.

I have to go buy a mop now since my h2o mop died. I'd like to put it off as long as possible and use that excuse though. Jeez, I vacuumed the hardwoods on the first floor / kitchen doesn't that count?

Mike said...

We have an old Panasonic HDTV that a friend gave to my son because it didn't work. We took the back off and found a blown fuse. Works like new now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Joe- I'm an idiot - I finally figured out what the hell you were referring to regarding shaking.
Oh my, is it happy hour yet?

Mike - well that sounds easy enough if I knew what to look for. Rick is utterly useless as i have written on the blog before with tv's computers and cars. He could build me something to put the tv in or on but he can't even configure the remotes, I have to do it. He lost his man card on technology.

Barbara said...

Sorry to laugh at you but it really is funny.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara - sadly we've been laughing at it too. So go ahead laugh away :-)

mamahasspoken said...

Hum, so when does hubby get the surgery because I need to make sure I'm here every day to hear the funny stories of his recovery ;o)
Not to sound mean, but have fun getting rid of that 200 pound tv. I had one of those too and couldn't find ANY place that would take it. Finally, Some company sponsored an event to get rid of this type stuff. Sons spent two hours in line waiting in order to get rid of the damn thing! Yea, lots of people were getting rid of their stuff that day.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie - Damn I never thought about the disposing if the big ass tv.
Well now I have to find a place to dump it I guess.
And I'll keep you posted on the surgery so you won't miss a single drop of my tears!

Bilbo said...

Rick and I are probably twins separated at birth, and complement each other. I'm good with computers and TVs and such, but utterly hopeless with ordinary construction, repair, and similar stuff. My man card is overstamped with "Do Not Allow to Fix Anything." And I have a bum neck. Agnes grumbles all the time about my being out of warranty. Oh, well ... tell your guy he has a long-lost brother.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bill that's funny! Rick is adopted you know so you could really be long lost brothers. :-)
We'll have to exchange services.

Yep, I think our warranties are beginning to be up sadly. I'm not sure anymore which is worse, puberty or old age.

Julie H said...

We have a tv that is like 2 feet deep if that tells you how old it is lol.

I just paid off my sears bill so I'm waiting for the next thing to die. I should probably buy a washing machine since I can hear it spinning in the house (it's in the detached garage out back lol) but I hate buying stuff before it's dead ;)

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Oh no! I thought flexible hoses never died.
TV's aren't what they use to be. But the crap on them isn't either. Men are the biggest babies when it comes to being sick. Your idea about drugging him for the duration would be the only humane thing to do for you both. Sorry you're having such a bad week. Thinks can only go op from here!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tia, now the A/C is acting up. Could be the fact that we are in the midst of a heat wave. But last night couldn't have gone any worse. It was so hot in here and Izzy was restless all night and we were up all night. Fun, fun, fun in our house right now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tia, the hose is great. It is the cheap plastic "thing" that is the sprayer that breaks. My neighbors did too. The hose is in great shape.