Monday, October 8, 2012

Things You Love that I don't.

Today I read at Irregular Tammie  a blog post she wrote that was one of the funniest list of things she hates that others find wonderful. She has done this before and they never fail to make me laugh. 

We all know I could do this list and it would be oh so much longer being the curmudgeon I have become. So I decided to discuss only 1 thing that you all love that I hate here on my blog today.

For me the biggest thing on a 'list of what I hate that you probably love' would be Facebook.
I know you gasped just now didn't you? 
Okay calm down, take a deep breath it will be okay.

How could I say that you ask?
Mark Zuckerberg is a brilliant man with such foresight.
I check facebook 100 million times a day.
I couldn't live without facebook.
I have heard all those things uttered.
yea, yea, yea.

In fact on Friday I got a text from my neighbor, Pretty Carrie.
She asked if the power was out.
I wrote back and said, "yes it was. Are you home already?"
She replied, "No I'm at work."

So being the slow old woman I am I wonder, "how the hell does she know we have lost power in our town when she is in Arlington?" So I text her back and ask her.
She responded quickly with, "Duh. I was on facebook"

OMG. Do you all really just update and stay on this page 24/7? She was at work!

Oh my God do I feel old and antique.
But hey antiques are interesting unless of course you are Billy Bob Thornton and you're afraid of antiques.

I just don't understand how I would use this in my life.
I have a blog so if I want to show you all the minutiae of my life it goes here.

Those with children and family all over the world I sort of get how they can see how gorgeous Susie and Johnny are and how big they have gotten. I sort of get that.

But now you're really going to squeal.....I find it like high school and juvenile for the most part.   "She wouldn't friend me"  Oh please.
If you're an adult man/woman and you have uttered that phrase in your life - slap yourself!
Now do it again. You know you deserve it!

While I do understand why a blogger would make a facebook page for their blog to put their readership through the roof, I don't get why for any personal needs.
That is where you lose me.

Do really you have 288 friends?  Well then I'm a big fat loser because I can count on my one hand my true friends. Then with acquaintances and people I used to work with it would add up. But do I really want to tell them all my business all the time? (believe it or not I even edit here and you don't know everything....I KNOW -GASP!)

So am I missing something?  Gee I don't think so.

I am attending a party later this month for an old boss who I adored.
(Best boss ever....in the history of bosses!)
He has returned to the states and will be here for a short time.
Since leaving the U.S. he has been living in India, South Africa, Ireland, England and probably more that I have forgotten.
A woman who lives in my state is having a party for him and all those who worked with him, for him, and who know him in the U.S. are coming to this party.

I wrote to him to say, "Welcome back to the states."
(he and his wife are from Ireland not America)
I told him that I was so excited to see he and his wife and couldn't wait to share some red wine and talk.
We used to do this for hours on end when we traveled together for work. 
Oh how we'd laugh. A lovely man with a lovely wife and a great life.
They are so damn  interesting.

So what was the first thing this man asked me?
"Are you on facebook Peg?"
Geez!  It actually disappointed me.
Really? You are 48 and you ask me if I am on facebook?

Oh well, he is smart, gorgeous, funny as hell I guess he had to have a flaw somewhere.
I do get a lot of peer pressure about this facebook thing and so far I have rebelled.
Wonder if I can keep this up?

But for the love of all things good I do not know what the hell I would put on a facebook page. Do you?   So unless I am hit by lightening or paid to do it  (yea, I'd whore myself for the money and do it.) I don't think it will happen any time soon.

What do you hate that everyone else loves?

15 comments:

regan said...

I think we're the only two in this world that think the same about facebook. I can't understand what makes people think I need to know when you are driving up to Starbucks. Or standing in line at the Target. Or deciding what they're going to make for dinner! What the hell!?! Get a life.....and don't share every damn detail of it with me! Just live it!

The biggest gripe I have, that everyone else loves.....is texting! I don't do it.....I don't know how, and I don't want to learn! And it makes me crazy when that's all people want to do......even in the middle of a conversation. It's so rude, and they don't see that! And it's not just kids being rude about it, it's adults, too! Sheesh! I think I'm going to post a sign at my house......"Smokers and Texters....go outside!" LOL

Oh, that little rant felt good! Thanks Peg!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Regan - glad I could help!!
I agree with your sign - I may have to make one of those for myself. I too find that incredibly rude and see it all the time.

Lizbeth said...

FB is something that I love to hate as well. One of my friends laughs and says I couldn't figure my way out of FB with a compass and a map. I have both my personal account and my page for the blog and I'm an expert at royally messing things up. How I manage to post things there is a medical mystery.....

Anonymous said...

ha. Facebook. im on it but i dont do much with it. im mainly on to keep in daily contact with my friends who love facebook and do a lot with it. if you were to log into my fb, youd be seriously bored. there are no pictures and the page itself doesnt say much about me. thats why i have a blog!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - i may run right over to your fb page and see if you'll friend me. :-)

Jenny said...

I'm laughing here.

I get on there to check for grandlittle pictures.

I keep requesting e-mailed pictures but apparently facebook is the way to find out how your Grandlittles are faring.

Sigh.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jenny - i get that!!!
I still ask for emailed photo's from my nieces and nephews and they laugh at me. I will be in a museum some day I tell them...last living human who would prefer the phone (attached to the wall)and a conversation in front of someone. They hold their hands over their mouths and gasp and then look at me like I'm an alien. Guess I am to them. :-)

Julie H said...

No help here since I'm a Facebook addict lol. It's just a social outlet for me.

Years ago I used to go on mommy message boards to chat. They have all closed down over the years so Facebook has kind of taken it's place.

Mike said...

I have about 20 friends on facebook. I got on it to follow my kids but that hasn't worked to well.

'What do you hate that everyone else loves?'

Mexican food. I can't stand that mushy crap. Or the corn chip everything.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - I get the kid thing/reason.

Mexican food huh?
I like it but I can also understand what you are talking about. Thx for playin'!

Ms. A said...

I loathe facebook! Something we have in common.

mamahasspoken said...

Guess I'm one of the few here that loves facebook. Though I have to agree there are way too many times I have those high school feelings of not being included. However I love looking at everyone's pictures!

Arnebya said...

I used to love Facebook (but I admit to being somewhat of a snob to the "I'm at Starbucks" updates). I learned fast to generally not care. I also learned fast that all those people I reconnected with at the high school reunion do not deserve to be on my page. I try to pay more attention to the page for my blog but I can't access it at work or from my phone well, so it sits bored until I get home. And if I'm tired? Oh well, another day gone without page activity. I figure people who are truly followers of the blog will check the blog. I've stopped accepting new friend requests unless I absolutely know or remember the person. But, I don't decline the request. I just leave it sitting there.

Something that everyone seems to be into that I can't get past? Reality tv. I've tried a few and even enjoyed a few. But I guess the ones with women fighting? Not for me. Also, I like Twitter. Ha.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya - My hubby has a facebook and he too does the requests just sitting there thing.
I watch HGTV and food network and that is reality tv. As for screaming people and backstabbing things i don't watch either. Oh and I dig The Voice. that's reality too. But I am proud to say I don't watch any screaming women, backstabbing people on islands etc.

Anonymous said...

i would totally friend you!