Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Relieved and Yet Very Very Sad

As I told you here before life for us is very different after losing our jobs.
Then we started a company and we were back to normal.
Or so we thought. It didn't last long enough.
Then we had a recession.
Crap.  Nothing is like it was.
Everything is upside down and we have a new normal that is frightening to me.

We knew if we wanted to continue to eat we had to sell our vacation home that was to eventually be our retirement home. 
It took 19 months to sell and it sold at rock bottom prices.
We sure aren't walking away with a bag of money.  No such luck.
We even sold it furnished. But we are walking away from a 2nd huge mortgage that will allow us to exhale.  We close in alittle less than 4 weeks unless something crazy happens and with our luck one can't be sure it won't. We had 9 great summers there! That is something right?

Here are some old photo's of the house before all the updates and changes.

This will be our first Thanksgiving we won't be there.
So we are incredibly sad.
A bit (okay a lot ) of pride and shame as well that we couldn't hang on to it.
But like I have said, we like to eat and we want to continue to eat so therefore we had to sell it.
We are keeping our boat moored down there. We can go on weekends and play.
We can always rent a place for a vacation just like people rented our home.
But we won't rent our home from the new owners. That would kill us.
I can't imagine Rick or I will be able to even ride by the house by boat for a few years.
It is what it is. We were so damn lucky to have been able to afford a 2nd home right?
it was fun while it lasted.
This gal is really going to miss the water!!!!!

These two on a Thanksgiving weekend. That Big Fella won't miss walking up that incline!
No more Rum Naps!!
But Izzy and I will still have our fun boat rides together!
We have a wooden sign above our dock that says, "We don't skinny dip, We chunky dunk."
We are leaving that for this woman who bought the house.
She better be chubby.

12 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm sorry you had to leave your vacation home.

Anonymous said...

im sorry peggy. i know how meaningful that place was to you and rick. (and izzy)

im happy that it sold but im sad you guys didn't get a good return on your investment. when you put a lot of work and time and energy and love into a place and then you get nothing financially back, it really hurts.

hugs to you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Pop Tart - thank you.

Tammie - you make me smile. I know you know about the work, time, engery and love that you put into it. Oh well. I must move on - onward and upward!

Carolyn said...

I'm sorry that you are losing your home, but glad you were finally able to sell it. I hope that despite the sadness, it will have a huge weight lifted off your shoulders now. This thanksgiving, it's just time for you to start a new and better tradition!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn - we have already invited some new friends who are new to the area here for Thanksgiving. So it should be fun. Wait until they find out we eat lasagna on thanksgiving....tee hee (we'll have the damn bird too but you know how it is)

Kitty Moore said...

That is very sad but, I know it's a cliche, at least you have each other and your health. And you know what? You'll be able to buy it back one day because you won't have died of starvation and you'll have managed to get back on your feet! Love and luck x

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Kitty - you are correct. We are well and that is better than any house. Thanks for stopping by!

Mike said...

Did I miss the 'Hey we sold our lake house' post? Selling it is a good thing. It's a stress reduction factor of 75%.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - no, this is it. until we are at closing we aren't screaming we sold our house. it's been filled with so many hills and valleys that until november 12th I am not screaming anything. yes it is a 50% stress reduction not quite 75. But getting closer.

Ms. A said...

Crossing my fingers that all goes well and closing comes off without a hitch. I'll cry with you as you adapt to life without the beautiful lake house.

mamahasspoken said...

This is a yeah great, boo bad post: Just not sure if I should cheer for your sale or feel sorry......

Julie H said...

Oh man! It's a relief I'm sure but so sad!