The insurance nightmare goes on and on and I swear it is like being a guinea pig on my wheel. Round 'n round I go and there seem to be no way to get off.
To update those that don't know here is a synopsis.
Rick and I had corporate jobs that had wonderful insurance.
We both lost our jobs within 6 months of one another.
We took advantage of Cobra until we found our own policies.
Our policy started at $900 per month. $2500 deductible per person.
The 2nd year it went to $1800 per month. WHAT? Called Blue Cross and they said it was just a rate increase across the board.
The 3rd year it went to $2100 per month.
Before the 4th year began we got a letter saying that Blue Cross was raising rates 33% across the board. (that seems to be their favorite phrase, across the board)
Two days later we saw on the evening news the same report about Blue Cross saying they were raising the rates. I felt it was time to shop because now this seemed like a 3rd mortgage payment and we just couldn't afford it.
We met with some brokers, picked one and picked a policy.
We gave him a check. He said that by the 15th of the month our policy would begin.
Then I did a very bad thing. I did not make my 15th of the month payment to Blue Cross thinking I would have new insurance for only $900 a month so why spend the $2100+.
But we then received a letter saying we were denied. I called the broker and he immediately asked if we lied about anything on this. He went on to explain that if we told the truth there would be no reason to be denied. I told him we did not lie, why would we do that? He said he was sorry but suggested we get a look at our medical records because something caused this rejections. In the mean time Blue Cross dropped us for not paying. Lovely. My mistake obviously.
I then went on a hunt to get all my medical records for Rick and myself. I called all doctors who were listed to get our records. Do you know that some charge you? They are my records? I will pick them up. You can't make copies for me? Pissed me off. But that is nothing compared to what came next.
As I combed through these records I found on Rick's dated back to early 2001 that they have it listed that he has Stage 4 lung cancer as well as cardiovascular disease. He has neither nor has he ever had either. Besides if he did and he is so healthy today in 2012 he should be in a medical journal for still being alive!
I called the doctors office with this erroneous information and asked to speak to the doctor about this. Oh he was always too busy. I was promised he would call and he never did. This went on for over a month. I was always told he was very busy. Well lady so am I tell her on my last call and if I do not hear from the doctor by 5pm today then I will be contacting an attorney next. He called me within 5 minutes. Amazing how he was no longer busy!
The doctor was so damn cavalier and said his transcriber made this mistake. He said all that like it made a damn bit of difference. I asked if he could please take this off. He told me it could not be done because of HIPPA laws. I said I understand the HIPPA law because you can't take information off a record but that is if it were TRUE. THIS IS NOT TRUE!!
He insists he can't take it off. He told me that he would write an addendum and also give us a letter stating it was information about another patient and state the mistake and insurance would be granted to us. He made it sound oh so easy peasy.
It was not! We have tried.
They get the letters, the addendum and all other things to show this is an error.
No matter we have now been rejected by all companies and telling us "denied for life"
Great, that's even better yet.
Oh sure I have written letters to two presidents, congressmen, state insurance commissions, the AMA and on and on. Nada - no one gives a shit except me and Rick.
We were told that the computer reads your application.
Words are picked out and it is rejected. No human actually reads them.
We were approached by another broker to file an appeal.
We jumped through those hoops and were again rejected this past week.
The broker suggested we apply for the government's new insurance for those who have a preexisting condition. My response was, "but he doesn't have a preexisting condition. it was all an error." He told me to try.
So I went online and read all about this.
It made me cry because I may be able to get insurance but I am lying.
What if I am found out that he doesn't have a preexisting condition would it be insurance fraud? How can this be so fucked up? I don't need to end up in jail.
There was an option to apply online or you could call.
I called and explained the situation.
I shared my fear of being caught.
She said, "do you have a letter of rejection?"
" Absolutely. Yes, I do."
"Then you can apply."
"But it's not a real preexisting condition." I am thinking she wasn't listening to me.
She said, "I can't hear you. Did you just say you have a letter of rejection?"
I say dumber and louder, "Yes, but....."
Before I could finish she said, "I thought you said you did, so just include the letter with your voided check and your insurance will begin on xxx date"
The light bulb went off.
Dumb ole Margaret said it louder but what she was trying to do was just help me.
She was saying, I don't hear you to tell me to just do it. She heard me loud and clear. Someone was actually trying to help me. It has been so long I didn't even recognize it.
That too made me cry. Seems all I do lately is cry. I have become a big fat wuss.
So I sent in our voided check so this can be debited from our account.
I have done the paper work.
If we get insurance for Rick I will be so damn thankful.
He is now having heart issues. They just began recently.
I think it could be stress. Doctor said that doesn't help.
But after the money we just forked out for echo's and other tests we just can't keep doing this. I had to actually call my mom to ask for money.
Do you know how hard that is at my age?
I feel like a failure. It's all so much right now.
But Rick's new doctor has him on some medication that should help his skipping heart beats. If it doesn't then a pace maker. But some more tests are needed and hence why I had to make that call to my mom. Oh God.
And to think when we started he was healthy and no reason to be a preexisting condition and now he just may have one.
I am thankful for this new insurance and I say FUCK YOU to the insurance lobbyist and all those nut jobs who think I believe I am entitled to anything more than what is the right thing to do. We have been screwed over every which way possible. The doctor should be sued. No attorney will take it unless Rick dies I was told. How people can even utter that to someone blows my mind.
But yesterday I had a meeting with an attorney for something else all together.
He thinks he knows someone who can help. I hope it's true. I don't want millions.
I am not doing this just to sue. I am not the hot coffee lady at McDonalds.
I want reimbursed for all the money we've had to pay out for the years due to his mistake.
I want him to pay for our insurance for ever!
Blood work last month was $900 for Rick and I skipped mine due to the cost.
Sadly my thryoid has to be checked every 6 weeks. I am no longer doing it and had to have a talk with my doctor. I know she won't give me my medication for much longer without blood tests. But she has given me some time to get this worked out.
So here's to having this new opportunity for insurance before the possiblity of a new president who can take it away from us.
President Obama I thank you from the bottom of my heart.... we who do all the right things the right way and we still get screwed thank you.
To those who think I am the 47% who think we are entitled to something for nothing well I have 2 words for you and hand gestures too.
11 comments:
oh peggy.
everytime i hear about your insurance woes i get angry.
i really hope you both finally have insurance this time.
have you told this story to your local newspaper or another publication? it needs to be submitted somewhere.
Hey Tammie - done it. i appear to be invisible these days. :-)
What a nightmare. I really hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel and things get worked out for you soon!
thx Carolyn!
I hope this works!!
I know all about the denials for pre-existing conditions. They deny my daughter because she had tubes in her ears when she was 9 and the dr prescribed her some acne medication when she was a teenager. REALLY? My husband has had all kind of problems so they won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Keep working on finding an attorney to sue the stupid doctor that screwed your life up. I can't believe no one will take the case.
Mike - i'm working on it. :-)
Oh, Peg... I've read and researched how mistakes on your medical records can't be removed and the nightmares it can cause and now I'm hearing it from you, firsthand. This makes me want to scream, as well as cry. I don't understand why, if something is an outright mistake, it can't be corrected!!! And it scares the $hit outta me!
Crap like this is what pushes some people to guy semi-automatic weapons and take out half a block. Seriously, we're living in a world of the "haves" who don't give a crap and the "have nots" who get crapped on. God forbid Romney and his heartless sidekick should get elected. I'm only two years away from Medicare.
So sorry you had to go through this, Peg, but I'm glad you wrote about it and I'm sharing.
Geez, peg... I feel like that too.... You do the right thing, and you still get f'd....
Oh gosh. I think we might be twins.
Insurance is such a nightmare.
Post a Comment