Thursday, October 11, 2012

Rituals

We have our morning rituals.
All of us in our home are creatures of habit and enjoy our patterns for the most part.
Rick and the dog both like their habits and I find them comforting as well.

In the morning I don't like to be chatty Cathy like my husband.
He wakes up all happy and whistling and singing and I want to punch him.
After my 2nd cup of coffee I begin to chat.

By the time he is leaving for work I ask the same questions every day.
You would think by now he could remember these things on his own wouldn't you?
He rolls his eyes most days but it never fails that he has forgotten something.

Rick do you have your cell?

Of course I do Margaret - right here on my hip.  He always smiles that mischievous smile when I ask him this like a kid who did something wrong.

Rick did you read all the work orders in case you have any questions?

No worries I'll be fine.

Rick do you have your extra XYZ product because remember this home has a baby and you'll want it on the truck.

Thanks I remembered and I read it on your paperwork!  I appreciate it, he says with another eye roll.

Okay that conversation is how it works maybe once a year.

Normally it goes like this.

Rick do you have your cell?

Oh yea....as he walks back to the charger to get it laughing. I laugh too because seriously people, every day I have to ask him this! Every day!

Rick did you look over the work orders? Do you want to go over anything so you don't have questions and have to call me?

Oh shit I didn't look at them. He puts his water jug, his binder, his lunch cooler down and now reads them making him 5 minutes late. For "Mr. I must be on time or all hell will break lose" He is now in a panic. Then he just grabs everything and says, I'll  just call you if there are issues.  Of course there will be issues. Why he asks for this information on there if he isn't going to read it drives me bat shit crazy. Yet he doesn't look at them without being told.
I'd fire him if I could.

Rick don't forget to put the XYZ off the shelf from the garage in the truck for this job because you will need it, they have a baby.

Jeez, now I'm going to be late. Damn it why didn't you tell me that earlier.

Its on the work order just like you ask for it to be so if you read them you would know.

Yep this is mucher closer to how my morning ritual actually goes.
Mr. Happy Singing and Whistling man becomes an idiot.

Yesterday morning I was not home when he was leaving.
He left his phone here and who knows what else.
Once I zeroed in on that phone I didn't continue to look at his trail of items left behind.
I came back into the house at 8:15am and saw his phone in the charger.
I just shook my head and said, This is going to be a bad bad day for us.

I get to the office at 8:30a and there is already a voicemail.
It is Rick's 2nd appointment who forgot he has physical therapy and won't be home.
He wants to reschedule for later if possible.
Sure, but now I can't call Rick to tell him not to drive to that city because the customer won't be there.  I instead call the customer to reschedule him and thank him for the heads up.

Next I call the 1st customer and I tell her that Rick left his cell at the office and when he is finished if she could please have him call his office.
I felt silly and unprofessional to do that but what other choice did I have?

Thankfully she laughed and said she would indeed tell him to call when he completed the job. She was laughing when she said with such pity to me. "you poor thing it's like you have a 2nd husband you have to take care of." 
I laughed and said, "Oh you have no idea!"

She doesn't know he is my husband because if she did I would tell her working with ones mate is sometimes very frustrating.
I'm sure Rick would say the same thing like when I send him to the wrong address.
But I'm not telling you that story today.

So yesterday when all of our morning rituals were turned upside down our whole life went off kilter. Rick was out there with no phone. He couldn't call a customer if running early or late. He couldn't call in for messages.  Without a phone he couldn't take credit cards and the customer had to call the office to give me the cards. No phone meant he didn't have his contacts while on the job for other contractors numbers if necessary....and it was necessary.

He called me from a customers home from their phone. Our conversation was making me laugh. He had on his professional voice and was speaking to me like I barely knew him and I got what was going on. I just had to play with him. He was asking for this company's phone number to give our customer to help them with some additional work.
I, of course, did not help him by whispering, "whatcha wearing big boy?"  and a few other dirty ditties. I know not nice but c'mon it was fun and he deserved it a bit. 
He just kept talking in his professional manner in front of  the customer and I kept busting his balls. Okay that was mean but way too much fun and easy.

I envisioned him coming home a bit cranky, but he surprised me.
Mr. Forgetful arrived at home tired with no whistling or singing at the end of his day.
But with his humor in tact.
His mean wife just kept laughing.

This morning we went through our ritual list.
Today should be smooth sailing.

13 comments:

regan said...

OMG! That's us every time we leave the house! "Honey, do you have your phone? Do you have your wallet? Where are your glasses?" Crap.....same thing every time! What the hell! And if I don't ask, sure enough, he'll leave at least one of them home! Sometimes all three! Jeez!

I then tease him, and call him Mr. Altzheimers.....but it's no joke! It makes ME crazy! Is it just women who do the checklist thing in the morning? Cuz this guy never thinks about it as he's walking out the door!

But on more than one occasion, he's remembered MY lactose pills when we get to the restaurant, so I guess we're even! Dang it!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Regan - ah, the lactose pills. is that the equivalant of me sending him to the wrong addresses a few times?....tee hee

Men can't multi-task and I think picking up his stuff and thinking about where he is going is 1 extra thing he just can't do.

Funny thing is he's a smart man otherwise. He said last night - well i used to be an idiot savant, now I'm just an idito.
That cracked me up!

Mike said...

You should get him a throw away cell phone to leave in the truck.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - ha ha ha ha....you say that as if he wouldn't lose it! Oh you funny man.

Ms. A said...

You, too??? If I don't track hubby and remind him, I swear he would forget his a$$! (if it wasn't attached) It's the same thing, every day he works. It's like I'm his mother!

Oh, he wakes up happy and whistling, too, and that always ticks me off!

mamahasspoken said...

My hubby wakes up that way too! Drives me nuts. Thanks goodness I don't have to tell him all that stuff though, it would drive me nuts! However if he's home I do leave him a list of honey do jobs so that he can't use the excuse that he forgot ;o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms. A and Mamma - must be a man thing!!

and being so damn happy when you wake up is all sorts of wrong!

Julie H said...

Too funny! It's a good thing my husband doesn't need me to do that because I go to bed before him and get up after him. I need my beauty sleep ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie too funny! lucky you - i don't sleep much - maybe that is why i'm ugly.

Lizbeth said...

I swear to God, we married the same man. I have places for everything in this house so he doesn't forget where he puts things but he never puts anything where they belong. Keys wind up in the kitchen, not in the key tray, the phone winds up where ever he takes off his socks and God help me if he ever puts those same socks near the washing machine. I may fall over dead from a heart attack.....

Anonymous said...

this is hilarious.but now i want to hear the story about when you sent him to the wrong address.

Leisa said...

I'm the first to wake up in our house (apart from the dogs) so I get the whole house to myself to be as quiet as I want in. I don't like a lot of chatter in the morning either, though it's got nothing to do with still being half asleep. I just like the quiet. Then the ritual is to get into a tracksuit, take the dogs for a run, reakfast, shower and then the mad school drop off and getting to the stattion in time to catch a train into the city for work.

I do the, "Have you got your.....?" conversation with my daughter now. It didn't work this morning. We got half way down the road and she remembered a vital something she forgot so we had to turn back. Late for school and I had to drive to work...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Leisa - you know an hour of total quiet with my coffee in the morning would be nirvana. I'm jealous.