I have seen some interesting things of late that I would like to share.
There is a show on CMT called Crossroads.
I am not a big country music fan but I like this show.
They take rock icon's and add a country star and they do a one hour concert together.
The behind the scenes is interesting as well.
The latest Crossroads is with my man Steven Tyler and Carrie Underwood.
Walk This Way was interesting with Carrie.
I saw Martina McBride with Pat Benatar on Crossroads and that one was kick ass.
Loved it!!
I also saw something on OWN that was fascinating to me.
Oprah did a 2 part series on Hasidic Jews.
She went to Brooklyn NY where the largest community of Hasidic Jews live.
It is a larger community that I thought.
It really develed into their lives.
She asked questions I was hoping she'd ask and the answers just blew me away.
Some extrememly personal about sex etc.
Why they live the way they do, how it relates to their culture and religion.
I found it utterly fascinating.
I had a lot of misinforamtion about this group of people.
This was so eye opening and really a lovely story.
One thing that made me giggle was when Oprah told them that the latest report was that children on average in America spend 7 hrs a day on technology that includes TV the 4 mom's all had their mouths drop open.
They kept looking at one another and said, "how can that be?"
Oprah explained, texting, video games, cell phones, computers and television.
The one woman said, "what about play time, reading, art/creativity, school work and music?
Oprah explained that children don't "play" anymore unless scheduled.
They found this so shocking and sad.
To see the look of sadness and shock on their faces was startling to me, yet all in perspective.
They have no outside information, no magazines, no tv, no internet, no radio etc.
They truly live a very small but very happy life it appeared.
Made one think after watching this.
There were times when they said things that I actually thought, "Oh wouldn't that be nice?"
If you don't watch this series on OWN I would suggest checking it out from time to time.
This is my kind of reality show.
Another show on OWN that I really like, well there are 2.
One is Lisa Ling's show which is on hiatus now.
It's like a 60 minutes/Dateline type show.
Their is only 1 topic for 1 hour and while it's news driven it's not sensationalize.
It's a very very smart show. It doesn't bend right or left.
It is factual and she's a damn good journalist. I highly recommend it.
The other show is Rosie.
It is on hiatus until Feb 27th so right now they are repeats. (7pm EDT)
It also is a 1 hour show one on one with someone.
Sometimes a celebrity, sometimes just an interesting human.
It's not a talk show like Ellen or anything of that genre.
The first one was with Kathy Griffin. It was a side of Kathy that was so raw and revealing. She talked about being bullied as a kid. Called names and even how kids would bark at her because they thought she was a "dog".
How that to this day influences a lot of what she does. (plastic surgery)
The other celebrity that was good was Chelsea Handler.
Now I don't particularly like Chelsea. But I really saw a different side to her on this.
Rosie seems to get the celebrities to open up in a way you never see these people do.
Chelsea cried about her family issues, she was very open and honest and not as vulgar as she normally is.
Along the way Rosie will talk about something of her life that falls into the conversation and it always makes for an interesting show. My husband loves this show and that says something. It's not like he was some card carrying Rosie fan before.
And my last new show that I have been into is House of Lies.
It's not great but I can't stop watching it.
It's with Don Cheadle who I love. Kristin Bell, who I think is adorable.
And a few other actors who's names I don't know.
They are corporate managment consultants.
Which to me is a big word for bullshit artists who tell companies what they need to do to clean up their image after an issue etc.
It's on Showtime and it's on my DVR. Each week I think I don't care about this show yet I end up watching it and liking it and being curious about the following week.
Don't know that it will last for me but right now I'm diggin' it.
Now if only I could get a Nielson box and get paid for all the damn TV I watch in the winter.
7 comments:
I love love Our America with Lisa Ling! I cannot wait until new episodes start again. Another show that I can't help watching is My Strange Addiction on TLC. It's just crazy what some people are addicted to. The last episode a lady ate cat food all the time and other was a man who was in love with his car!
It breaks my heart that kids today don't like to play outside. Seriously, it use to be that if you took away outdoor activity time (we're not aloud to say recess, long story)the kids would learn their lesson. Now if you take it away, they are doing a happy dance because they don't like going outside. Way too many times I hear, 'it's too hot' 'it's too cold' "I don't like it." When my sons were little, they LOVED going to parks and playing at the play grounds. Of course I was there on the swings and going down the slides with them but it was great fun!
Now when I ask kids how they spend their week end, they all say the same thing: they played video games.
Carolyn - I have never watched the strange addiction show. I have heard about it though. Odd to me. And dare I even think about what this guy does in his car. Gross.
Mamma - sad isn't it? We have a new generation of wussies.
Peggy,
I love your thoughts but the one that struck me is the amount of time kids spend with technology and not playing. That is one thing we insist on is that our son play outside...
Happy Valentine's Day!
TMC? OWN? You must have that new fangled cable thingy.
If only I ever watched tv lol.
The last thing I need is to find another TV program I like. I still tape my favorites and watch them when there's no blog reading to do, but the DVR sure gets full!
Post a Comment