Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Random Thoughts from an old Broad

I saw a heading today online that asked, “Why do airlines keep going bankrupt?”
Gee I’m no Mensa member but I think it’s pretty simple.
They keep getting money to bail them out and they keep doing everything the same way they always have and we expect a different outcome?
C’mon isn’t that the definition of stupidity?

I have been attempting to get back into the work force outside of this self employed work force. Not easy. I’ve been out for 6 years. I’m old.
So what do I want to do when I grow up?
Gee, Andy Rooney has died and left a big ole vacant spot I could certainly fill.
By job description I would say he was just a big ole curmudgeon.
Hey, me too!
He bitched for a few minutes and called it a job.
Hey I can do that!
Could I go on 60 minutes once a week and rant about something thing that bugs the shit out of me? Okay that was rhetorical since you all know from visiting me here I sure can do that.

What a great gig that would be.
Just think I could even do that from my home office and they can film me here.
Business on top and my pj’s on under the desk.
If they insisted I head up to NYC that’s not a problem.
I will jump on the Acela Train and tape my piece.
Do a little shopping in the city with my new paycheck. I can do it all in a day’s time.
I will have to draw the line though at the bushy eyebrows. I prefer to tweeze mine.

If that doesn’t pan out I can always use my sales, service and negotiating skills that I used in my big old corporate career. However I don’t want to wear 4 inch heels anymore, travel 3 or more days a week, ass kiss stupid hierarchy or play corporate games.
Oh hell just pay me the six figures and health insurance and I can say I’ve been there, done that. Doesn’t work that way? Okay but no heels. I’ve been working in flip flops, sneakers or bare feet for 6 years now. I just can’t go back to the painful albeit beautiful shoes anymore for more than a few hours. I now refer to my old style shoes as my “sitting” shoes.

My final thought was that we baby boomers aren’t getting any younger.
Perhaps I should move into the District where in 2012 it will be legal to set up shop for medicinal marijuana. I could make some serious cash just with my aging friends, let alone all the baby boomers out there.
Hip pain? Here take a tote, you’ll be dancing in no time.
Hearing problems? No sweat you can try some of this new weed that came in yesterday.
Trust me you won’t give a shit if you can hear a damn thing.
I’d be doing double duty you see.
Helping the economy, the local bakeries, and grocery stores as well as helping the elderly.

I think I’m on to somethin’ here.

14 comments:

Bilbo said...

I think there may be a market for a cranky curmudgeon service in the local area...staffed with people who are willing to call a spade a pointy shovel...people who are not afraid to get in touch with their inner grouch and light candles at the W.C.Fields shrine. If you need help, I'm there for you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Bill maybe we can do this together. You know like a Huntley and Brinkly. Oops showing my age again, but you get the idea.

Julie H said...

I used to occassionally watch 60 minutes before my husband took over the tv. One that alway sticks in my mind is when he ranted about packs of batteries and how you could never find any that actually worked when you needed them, yet you'd always end up buying more than you wanted to use.

I didn't work for 7 years. Everyplace I worked before that 7 years is out of businesss. I am so LUCKY I got the job I have.

Carolyn said...

One of the reason's I love my job? Super casual. Jeans almost every day (although I do tend to dress up, b/c I like to) and any kind of shoe you prefer. I rock my flip flops in the summer and uggs in the winter. lol. I couldn't imagine wearing a suit and heels.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn, do they need anybody where you work? I can commute. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - you are correct. You are lucky. I have applied for jobs where they call to tell me I am over qualified? I am over qualifed to feed my family and keep a roof over my head? WTF?

Mike said...

'with my new paycheck'

Your new paycheck may not be as big. The last contractor job I had a the phone company paid 'overseas' rates. I.e. pretend you're in India.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah Mikey I've been applying for jobs at Home Depot and Starbucks - I realize I won't be getting the same $$ - I just want some $$ before we are living under a bridge....or India.

danneromero said...

hi peg, you can use me as a reference when you submit your resume.. i will vouch for you....

Ms. A said...

I think you could do an excellent job as a replacement for Andy! They might have to give you the entire 60 minutes, but I'm good with that!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Danneromeo...Thx for the reference...I am assuming that would be for head curmudgeon and not chief pot dealer since I have no experience in the latter.....yet :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms. A. - Thank you for your vote of confidence! Now if only we could get CBS to see thongs our way.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oops! Not thongs, but things.
If they see my thong I will never get a damn job!

mamahasspoken said...

I think you should have the Andy Rooney eye brows! It's one of those things that people will remember you by. You know what I mean, when someone goes you know Peg, and they give that blank look, they can say come on Peg with the huge eyebrows.
But seriously, it is a bite at our age to find new employment. Hubby is still unemployed with all leads drying up. He's feeling that it's his age but how do you prove that?