Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Heat?....We don't need no stinkin' heat

Last Friday I was sitting at my desk and I was a bit chilly.
My hands were especially cold.
Now if you know me at all you know that does not happen often.
I have always been the gal who wants the window open in the winter to sleep.
I am always hot. It's been this way since I was a very young lass.
Then menopause.....hell I'm hot all the time.
So to be cold in my office on the 2nd floor was odd since it is warmer upstairs than on the 1st floor. (sadly enough)
I even have all the vents in my office closed so no heat can blow on me.

I meandered downstairs to see what the temp was set at on the thermostat.
It was set at 64. Normal, however it was only reading 59.  It wasn't running.
So I switched it off and then on again and turned it up a few degrees and nothing.
Oh no.

When Rick got home I asked him about it.
I told him I wanted him to do his "manly" thing before I called anyone in case it was nothing.
He fiddled and said that no gas was coming on. 
He laughed and said, "that is all the manly I have in me for this job."
Then he asked me if I paid the gas bill.
That made me laugh. Yes, money is beyond tight but we have the stove, the water heater and the fireplace all of which is gas working.  So yes my dear husband, the gas has been paid on time.

I dug out my home warranty papers and called them.
They gave me a number of a company to call.
I called the heating company and they told me someone could be out by Monday.
"MONDAY?" was my reaction.
It wasn't exactly summer nor was it freezing either but it was cold enough.
I called back the home warranty company and asked for another company and they obliged.

I called the 2nd company.
They said they would be there on Saturday morning.
Okay I can live with Saturday. Only 1 day away and that is reasonable. 
We awoke on Saturday to 24 degree temperatures outside.
I came back in at 6:15am from walking the dog to seeing my breath in my own home.
It was cold.
I turned on the gas fireplace in the kitchen as well as the oven to take the chill out.
Once it warmed us up and we had our coffee we turned it all off.
The day was warming up so no big deal.
We assumed everything would be fine once they got here.

A very shy middle eastern man came to our door.
He had a difficult time looking at us and speaking.
I felt like if I said boo he would turn on a dime and run out of here.
We showed him to our furnace.
Within a few minutes he came back downstairs to the kitchen to inform us of the control panel being "blown out"
We asked what did that mean in terms of when we'd have heat.
He mumbled something which we did not understand.
He then called his boss or so we assumed. They spoke in their native tongue.
He then hung up and told us that they had to order this part and he hoped it would be Tuesday.
I asked what he hoped would be Tuesday? The part coming in or he would return to fix on Tuesday?
He shook his head yes.
I again asked, "Will you be here on Tuesday?" 
He muttered something of which neither of us understood and he smiled and left.
I looked at Rick and said, "Do you think we'll ever see him again?"

We actually laughed because we had no idea what the hell was going on and he was so skittish we felt as though if we pressed him he'd have cried. It was so damn odd and frankly uncomfortable. I really feel awful when I can't understand someone. For some reason I feel as though I should.

Look I enjoy having this home warranty on both our homes. It pays for itself in a lot of ways.
This call was only $75.00 no matter what they find or what they must repair or replace.
I like that. However I don't get to chose my own contractors or HVAC.
That is what I don't care for.

Anyhoo here it is on Tuesday and I don't know that I will have heat before we leave for the holiday. I called 2 times this morning only to get voicemail.
I decided to call back the home warranty company to see if they could assist me in getting a fire under their ass.  They did indeed help me. I got a call immediately after hanging up with the home warranty people to be informed that someone would be out to my home between 3 - 6pm today.

So it looks like I may get heat for tonight.
Honestly it's warmer now and not as bad as it was a few days ago so we are fine with no heat right now. Sure it gets to 34 - 40 degrees in the evenings but the house doesn't get too cold and I like to sleep in a refrigerator so all is well thankfully.

I'm thankful for heat this holiday season - how about you?

14 comments:

Lizbeth said...

Ohhh, I hope the heater gets fixed soon. Still you are handling it much better than me. I always run cold and I'm getting the shivers just thinking about the heater being broken.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Lizbeth last night we wore a lot of clothes and drank hot drinks with liquor. :-) nothing better than hot cocoa and peppermint schnapps. We were fine. Watched some TV with a blanket on us. It really wasn't that cold out. To touch the staircase railing was cold and things like that. Once in bed in our toasty down comforters we were just fine. IT could have been so much worse like when the high is only 24 then I'd be miserable. Now it's just a nuisance. (sp?)

Ms. A said...

Mine was the opposite having been without AC. Fortunately, we haven't needed the heat yet and I can do without that until it gets really cold, however, it isn't hooked up. Got the AC, finally, but no heat. Guess you have to take what you can get, when you hire family to do stuff! Probably shouldn't have paid him, until the job was COMPLETE.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms. A - thankfully with the exception of my father and husband I have no family that can do anything. My father can only do plumbing, heating and AC. He lives 6 1/2 hrs away so it's useless. Those are the only things Rick can't do. So I'm screwed. Instead of home ec I should have learned HVAC!

Mike said...

Blown out? It's a good thing you have a home owners warranty.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - yes it is indeed. Larry Daryl and Daryl just left.
It took 3 men to do this apparently. We now have heat!! We have a new control panel on the furnace and a new filter. Wooo hooo!! Now it can get as cold as it wants to.

Julie H said...

LOL Larry Daryl and Daryl, love it :) Glad you got some heat :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - didn't think anyone would get that!! Thx.:-)

Anonymous said...

i remember larry daryl and daryl.

im glad you are toasty and warm.

danneromero said...

I love the warm.... But the hot flashes keep over riding the comfort causing me discomfort and yearning for the cool air... Blah!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Danneromero -I wish I had no idea what you we're talking about!

Carma Sez said...

Heat is my friend.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carma..we have arrived at the lake house and the heat has not been on here. Brrrrr ....the sofa was the even the cold and to the touch. Finally this morning its warm.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Go back upstairs, heat rises. Or better yet, come visit me in San Diego. It was 75 degrees here today and cocktails are on the patio at 5:00.