Wednesday, November 9, 2011

And It's Only Wednesday

Life has been feeling a bit heavy of late.
I am trying to shake it but it still lingers.
Nothing the ole Mega Millions lottery can't fix though.

Anyhoo this post is more of some things I've been dealing with than a story today.

**I have never NOT voted. Ever. I would get all crazy ass on people who would not vote. It's not just a right I'd tell them but a privilege.  
Well yesterday, a day to vote here in Northern Virginia, I for the first time did not vote.  
I hate everybody. I am feeling like it just doesn't matter anymore.  
If the left is in office the right, even if they agree, will do all they can to thwart anything from passing.   
If the right in in office, the left even if they agree, will do all they can to thwart anything from passing.  God forbid should they actually want to help the people, the people who pay them, the people who pay for their insurance for life and pay raises while the people lose all of those perks   So after 37 years of voting I decided to try something new.  
The other way wasn't helping me any.   So I am going to be "one of those" people.
I feel guilty but my choices all sucked anyway. I am going to try to make peace with it.

**Our company does a lot of work for this apartment complex. 
Most of the work is very small.
The last few were small repairs so we only charged the service call fee of $200.
It took 90 days or longer to get this amount. Then the big companies (like Marriott) began being 90 days /120 days late and we made a decision that payment is due at the completion of the job. No billing what so ever. A credit card can be used  but no more billing.
I mean seriously, If a plumber comes to your home do you ask him to bill you or does he expect payment upon completion? We have one company that arrangements have been made and as long as they abide by the arrangement we are fine. Otherwise everyone pays for the job when it is completed.

Since the implementation of this new no billing policy there has never been an issue and we admit we were surprised. 
Then yesterday this apartment complex called us for a new job.
They said some things had changed since the last time we worked for them and they stated that  they were to use us we had to pay $95 to their compliance department.
Apparently this new compliance department will be sure we have the proper paper work, licenses, W-9, auto insurance etc.  How do they get all this paper work necessary you ask?
I have to fax them all the documentation myself and then pay them $95.00. You would think if I was paying them they would do all the leg work wouldn't you? But no they do nothing but put it all in a folder for $95.00

All other companies that we do business with and that request this information get it faxed to them from our insurance company directly. They ask me and I call my insurance company, it's done within 30 minutes end of story. One company handles all of our insurances for the company and it's never been an issue until now.

So I asked some questions about their new policy. I wanted to be sure I understood this because I kept thinking that this couldn't be right.
The property manager got a bit hostile with me. He informed me that they would not pay upon completion of the job but they will be billed.
So let me understand this, We have to pay you $95 to do work for you and then we have to wait 2-3 months for our money.  Yup that is the deal. Of course I didn't speak like that to him but you get the gist.

I told him I would discuss this with the owner (they don't know I am married to him) and get back to them or the owner would. I knew damn well we weren't going to do this. These people don't give us real work, it's all piddly stuff and they are out in the boonies. But it needed to be discussed with Rick first. 

We discussed it and Rick felt it was not something we wanted to do.
He called the property manager to explain to him our reason for declining the work.
The property manager told Rick, "Just pay the $95.00. We've used other refinishers and no one does as good a job as you guys. We much prefer working with you."

Rick again thanked him for their business but we no longer bill and we will not pay to be on their vendor list in hopes of getting these jobs. 
The property manager again said, "Will you do it if we promise to pay within 90 days?"
Rick had to stifle laughter and just said, "John we appreciate all the business you have brought to us but we want to be paid upon completion of each job and we will not pay you to do work for you. We have to decline this offer. I wish you much success."

John then got combative with Rick.  He yelled, "What the hell is the big deal if you have to wait 90 days or 120 days we eventually pay you."  
He also said he knew it was not the best scenario to have this new compliance fee but this was implemented by his company he had nothing to say about it. And then he actually said, "Please we need your artistry on this job.  We've tried others and then we end up calling you to fix it. C'mon we've done business before with you"
Rick again thanked him and said I'm sorry John I would like to recommend XYZ.
John then told Rick to go fuck himself.  Yessirree bob he did!
I was in the office when Rick was on the phone with him.
When he said those nice words to Rick I saw Rick's face and I knew he said something "good"
Rick put down the phone and looked at me and said, "he just told be to go fuck myself and hung up." Then Rick laughed.

Seriously when we don't get paid, be it only $200 or $10,000 it is like doing the job for free.
I wonder if he would like to go to work and wait 3 months for his pay check.
I would love to see how he likes paying his bills while having to wait 3 months.

**Adding to my Monday of joy is that somehow or another I got debit card fraud on my company card. I don't take it out of my purse so no one holds it. It was for video games. When I spoke to the person at the bank they questioned me like I was a not being forth right.
Did you buy something from your phone?
No, if you knew how pathetic I am with my smart phone you'd find that very funny. No I have never bought anything from my phone.

Could one of your children have purchased these?
I do not have children.

Could your husband have purchased these?
No, my husband and I do not play video games, we do not own a video game console.

Are you sure?
(I actually laughed when he said that one.)
Yes I am sure.
I do not own a video console and I have never ever even played a video game since Pac-Man.

So I received a temporary credit for this while they investigate.

It's been a helluva week so far and it's only Wednesday.
Hope your week is going a bit better for you all.

12 comments:

Lizbeth said...

Oh Lord...this is one of those days where you say, it's gotta be noon somewhere because I need a drink.

I love how calm and cool RIck was with John--what you are asking for is nothing but payment when the job is finished and that is NOT unrealistic. At all. I don't know what to say about that guy!

I totally saw that where the kids were told the parents ate all their candy--my kids would have skinned my alive the day after Halloween. Now they've given it all to me. Yay! I think....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yep a bloody mary for breakfast should not be out of the question at all! :-)

I loved those videos. I adored the last 2 boys.

Carolyn said...

Yikes! I hope your week turns around. That's crazy they would make you pay $95 to put in forms! We have to get W9s from people all the time, it baffles me that someone would charge that person for it!

Mike said...

I have to laugh at the apartment manager. Big companies think they have the upper hand and can do anything they want to workers and contractors right now. That manager is stuck in the middle and can't deal with the frustration. If he likes Rick's work that much he would be figuring out how to beat his companies stupid system to pay Rick.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, my hubby said the same thing. It's not the actual $95 to pay them, it's the principal that bothered us both. And you are so correct people are saying and doing things right now because they think they have the upper hand and it's so frustrating.

Linda said...

My hubby used to do 'repair' work, and there are still people out there that haven't paid. He now drives a semi, and it isn't the best money, but the company he drives for pays within a week of getting our invoice. Your Rick held on to his wits very well.

I don't know what is going on with Blogger, but I have to open a new tab to make comments. Do any others?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda - actually I always get a new window when making comments so I am not sure what you mean. Sorry can't help.
rick has a saying that sometimes it's better to let a customer go because the grief is more than they are worth. I don't always agree but you're right he held his tongue well. :-)

Ms. A said...

That compliance fee, is freaky. I've never heard of that. (at least not the way you explained it)(I have heard the term) Call me an idiot, but if your insurance company has always provided this info, why the need to charge you to provide what has always been provided?

The card... do you think you were swiped? They can do that with it in your purse. It's been happening around here.

mamahasspoken said...

Sorry, but having to pay ANY money in order to get them to let you work for them sounds like extortion in a 'mobish' way. I would have told John that if he wanted your work that badly, he would pay the extortion fee AND bill. He can wait the 90-120 days to get his money back ;o)

Julie H said...

Wow that guy is a real dick! Just another example of how big companies thing they can bully everyone around.

UGH we had so much with the fraud. Knock on wood it's been better since we changed banks. My favorite was when my husband went to the corner store and used his card and 4 minutes later it was used in Vegas at the bank's ATM. They couldn't question that one too much.

Julie H said...

Oh and after reading the other comments my husband DID eat a lot of my son's candy. I found probably 10 skittles wrappers in his sweatshirt pocket when I was doing laundry. I of course never touched it ;)

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

My youngest daughter made my hubby andI watch this! It is so funny and I agree--those last two boys were adorable!