Last evening was the premiere of the new show called Our America.
I really admire Lisa Ling. Yes, the Lisa Ling from The View. She was a journalist before being on the View but I didn't know much of her work.
I admire her because she did something that in today's world most would not do.
She walked away from a bucket load of easy money to do something more fulfilling.
How often do you get to hear that in today's culture?
I saw her in a tv interview talking about leaving the view after her contract was up.
She said she just couldn't fathom sitting there talking about clothes, only touching on real topics and interviewing celebrities about their newest movies or project, no matter the money. She wanted much more and she felt there was so much going on in our world that she had to tell those stories.
So when I saw that she had a new show on OWN I had to check it out.
Rick and I watched it last night. It was a topic that makes me angry because I honestly feel it manipulates people at their most vulnerable. While I didn't feel any different about the actual arena I did see some things I didn't expect. This was done to make you think. It didn't change my mind but it also wasn't slanted as it so easily could have been and I appreciated that. That isn't done anymore on a news program if you think about it. 60 minutes, Dateline, 20/20 etc all have their slant on the topic most of the time.
Sadly this won't get the ratings of trash tv but I hope she continues this journey through America and shows us all of it, the good, the bad and the ugly.
9 comments:
I've always admired Lisa Ling and wish her the best with her show. I do disagree about 60 Minutes though; I watch it every Sunday and find their stories enlightening for the most part. My one quibble? Andy Rooney. He needs to retire.
Jane, you are so correct about Andy (let's add Barbara is that okay?) I too watch 60 minutes every week and out of all of the shows I think they are most balanced. (we can agree to disagree) I loved Lesly Stahl's interview with Mr. Facebook. I don't watch the others as religiously.
So what was it about?
I have always like Lisa Ling and had no idea about her new show. I will definitely have to check it out.
ill have to see if i can find this show. ive always liked lisa ling too and thought she was 'better' than the View.
I don't get cable so I can't view it - but I wish her much luck.
Thought the same thing when she left: she was walking away from guaranteed easy money.
Which is exactly the same reason I'm exploring new career options when what I have is very easy - I want to be able to engage my brain and make some impact.
...interesting. I wasn't aware it was on but I do like LIsa LIng and have enjoyed when she use to 'report' for the Oprah show...she is very insightful!
I read your first line and thought you were going to talk about Larry the Cable Guy's new show on the History Channel. Boy I was disappointed ;o)NOT!
Mamma - trust me when I say that I will never watch anything that man is on unless he is holding Ron White's scotch!
Post a Comment