When I was a teenager I could have slept my life away but now I would be thrilled for 6 solid hours of sleep every other night.
Last night I was watching old sitcoms on TVLand like Roseanne and Home Improvement.
The last one I watched at 4:30a.m. was Home Improvement.
The episode was from two points of view.
The parents were having difficulties with discipline and punishment and the difference in parenting each child.
The middle son felt he was being punished for the sins of his brother before him and the younger one. He felt that was so unfair. And rightly so.
This got me thinking about a time when I was young and how I didn't ever understand my parent's crazy logic about their discipline for me.
When I was a senior in high school I was 18. I had a job working at the local pharmacy as a pharmacy tech. I worked weekends and this particular weekend I am about to tell you about was a Sunday. I had to be at work at 9am.
In the meantime my family is having their breakfast, getting ready to go to church, etc.
That morning my father came into the bathroom as I was brushing my teeth and held a small pipe and a bag of pot in front of me and said, "What is this?"
I about swallowed my toothbrush!
I said, "I don't know" like an idiot with what I assume was probably a deer in the headlight look on my face.
My father then walked out of the bathroom.
Ooh, I was glad I was going to work at that very moment.
My mind was spinning.
My father was at the kitchen table with this sitting in front of him.
I had to walk by him to get to the garage where the car was.
Oh, I didn't want to go down the hall but I couldn't be late.
As I got to the kitchen my father asked me again what this was.
He knew what this was why did he keep asking me this question?
I asked, "Where did you get that Dad?"
And he spilled his guts.
Apparently very early that morning before we older kids were up my youngest of sisters (toddler) pulled my sister's (who we will refer to as PM, age 15) purse handle that was hanging off the desk in the kitchen. Out fell these items.
Quickly I said to my Dad, "Well I am sure those do not belong to PM. I would bet she is hanging on to this for her friend Paula. You know how Paula is Dad and PM is always protecting her and trying to keep her out of trouble."
That statement was true. But I didn't say it for its truth. My dad really didn't care for Paula. He thought she was too "fast" whatever that meant. She was always in some kind of trouble and she did get caught once with pot. So my quick on my feet thinking was blame Paula to keep my sister out of trouble. I thought it was brilliant.
My father appeared to be buying this b.s. from me.
Hey, I'm pretty clever and good at this I thought.
It appears to be much easier to think like this when it's not you that is backed into a corner.
He asked more questions and then said, "You better get going before you are late for work."
I never got to the car so quickly before in my life.
As I drove to work I began to wonder why Dad didn't just wake PM up after he thought it came out of her purse. I also wondered how the hell I could reach my sister and tell her the story that I had just told our Dad. It was important we be on the same page.
When I got to work I tried calling home thinking she would answer the phone next to her bed. But no! My father kept answering the damn phone. Thankfully there was no caller ID back then. Too bad there weren't cell phones so I could have just called my sister. Boy, that could have saved a lot of grief.
I continued to call several more times.
Seriously I called a dozen times easily.
My parents kept answering the damn phone.
I finally had to give up.
The pharmacy wasn't opened very long on Sunday. I got home late afternoon as my family was sitting down to a Sunday dinner. I went to my room to change my clothes and it was like nothing had happened. 3 of my sisters were playing out in the yard and PM was not home.
I thought that was odd that she wasn't home. Didn't she get in any trouble? Wow. Who is that man sitting out there who looks like my father? Maybe I was better than I even thought I was. I'm going to have to remember that bit about telling Dad it's a friend who he already doesn't like. It seems to be a winner.
As I sat down at the Sunday dinner table everything seemed normal.
My stepmom asked me about work. I asked where PM was and she said, "oh she's gone over to so & so's house for the afternoon they were going to go horseback riding."
Well, that is cool.
Just as I'm thinking I'm one smart chick my father says to me, "So young lady why did you lie to me?"
WHAT? My heart began beating so fast and I swore it was beating rapid-fire and incredibly loud like a drum solo. Oh no....let me have a heart attack right now was my only thought.
He proceeds to tell me that "Your sister told me this was hers. She flushed it all down the toilet and I threw away that damn pipe. She said she just wanted to try it but didn't get a chance to. It wasn't Paula's. Why would you lie like that to me Peggy?"
I said, "I didn't really lie I thought it probably was Paula's. I knew PM didn't do that stuff Dad"
"But you didn't know if it were Paula's so you made that up, isn't that a lie Peggy?"
I didn't even bother to try to explain I knew I was going to be in trouble here.
He went on, "You are the oldest you should know better (if only i had a dollar for each time I heard that line) PM had the decency to tell us the truth. We are taking the car keys from you for one week for lying to us like that."
Oh, how I protested once that was said but it only got worse.
My parents kept answering the damn phone.
I finally had to give up.
The pharmacy wasn't opened very long on Sunday. I got home late afternoon as my family was sitting down to a Sunday dinner. I went to my room to change my clothes and it was like nothing had happened. 3 of my sisters were playing out in the yard and PM was not home.
I thought that was odd that she wasn't home. Didn't she get in any trouble? Wow. Who is that man sitting out there who looks like my father? Maybe I was better than I even thought I was. I'm going to have to remember that bit about telling Dad it's a friend who he already doesn't like. It seems to be a winner.
As I sat down at the Sunday dinner table everything seemed normal.
My stepmom asked me about work. I asked where PM was and she said, "oh she's gone over to so & so's house for the afternoon they were going to go horseback riding."
Well, that is cool.
Just as I'm thinking I'm one smart chick my father says to me, "So young lady why did you lie to me?"
WHAT? My heart began beating so fast and I swore it was beating rapid-fire and incredibly loud like a drum solo. Oh no....let me have a heart attack right now was my only thought.
He proceeds to tell me that "Your sister told me this was hers. She flushed it all down the toilet and I threw away that damn pipe. She said she just wanted to try it but didn't get a chance to. It wasn't Paula's. Why would you lie like that to me Peggy?"
I said, "I didn't really lie I thought it probably was Paula's. I knew PM didn't do that stuff Dad"
"But you didn't know if it were Paula's so you made that up, isn't that a lie Peggy?"
I didn't even bother to try to explain I knew I was going to be in trouble here.
He went on, "You are the oldest you should know better (if only i had a dollar for each time I heard that line) PM had the decency to tell us the truth. We are taking the car keys from you for one week for lying to us like that."
Oh, how I protested once that was said but it only got worse.
If I had just shut up. But no I had to try to save my arse. Didn't work.
The more I tried to defend myself the angrier my father got and he tacked on another week.
I never did learn to just shut up or not be a smart ass. Spent my life grounded or in trouble for being a smart ass. (nothing has really changed there)
I got grounded for 2 weeks for trying to help my sister and yes I did lie to my dad.
But my sister had pot and paraphernalia for heaven's sake!
My father even bought her lame story about wanting to try it and her dramatic gesture of throwing it down the toilet. Oh brother.
But I tell a little lie and I'm grounded. Wasn't that sisterly love he always talked about for Pete's sake? I learned what the phrase, Damned if you do and damned if you don't, meant that very weekend.
That night when my sister came home I told her what I walked into when I came home from work. She apologized to me for getting me grounded.
The more I tried to defend myself the angrier my father got and he tacked on another week.
I never did learn to just shut up or not be a smart ass. Spent my life grounded or in trouble for being a smart ass. (nothing has really changed there)
I got grounded for 2 weeks for trying to help my sister and yes I did lie to my dad.
But my sister had pot and paraphernalia for heaven's sake!
My father even bought her lame story about wanting to try it and her dramatic gesture of throwing it down the toilet. Oh brother.
But I tell a little lie and I'm grounded. Wasn't that sisterly love he always talked about for Pete's sake? I learned what the phrase, Damned if you do and damned if you don't, meant that very weekend.
That night when my sister came home I told her what I walked into when I came home from work. She apologized to me for getting me grounded.
She said she was sorry but she didn't know I had told them that. She told me how Dad kept saying, "If this is Paula's don't protect her." She thought it was odd that he kept bringing her up but she just assumed it was because he didn't like her and he wanted it to be Paula's and not her stash.
He never even told her that I am the one who told him that.
Because Dad disliked Paula so much and PM liked hanging around with her she felt it would be better to tell him the truth. This way she and Paula could remain friends.
And luckily for her Dad bought the rest of her dumb ass story. (gee do I sound bitter?)
It was so typical of our life growing up. Just like on Home Improvement. What was good for one child wasn't good for the other. As a child, I sure didn't get this logic. I'm the oldest I got in trouble for everything I did and didn't do.
We laugh about this story all the time now. PM likes to tell everyone how I couldn't get away with anything ever and she got away with almost everything. Trust me she did. There are several of these types of stories. Not with illegal substances but her doing something and me being punished because I should know better scenarios.
Do you treat and discipline each of your children with different rules and punishments?
He never even told her that I am the one who told him that.
Because Dad disliked Paula so much and PM liked hanging around with her she felt it would be better to tell him the truth. This way she and Paula could remain friends.
And luckily for her Dad bought the rest of her dumb ass story. (gee do I sound bitter?)
It was so typical of our life growing up. Just like on Home Improvement. What was good for one child wasn't good for the other. As a child, I sure didn't get this logic. I'm the oldest I got in trouble for everything I did and didn't do.
We laugh about this story all the time now. PM likes to tell everyone how I couldn't get away with anything ever and she got away with almost everything. Trust me she did. There are several of these types of stories. Not with illegal substances but her doing something and me being punished because I should know better scenarios.
Do you treat and discipline each of your children with different rules and punishments?
15 comments:
My two older brothers got into a lot of trouble while growing up. Because of that, anytime I did something wrong it wasn't ever THAT bad so I rarely got into trouble. Basically my brothers were so terrible that I looked like a saint to my mom. lol
Oh you lucky shit Carolyn. I always wanted to be the youngest. What you are saying is how my youngest sister had it. By the time my parents went through all the crap with the first 4 daughters they let her skate.:-)
I was next to the youngest of six children and the only girl. I use to hear all the time that I couldn't do this because I was a girl. Made me mad that there was a double standard just because I was a girl! Now as an adult, we will talk with my dad about the 'remember when' times. Of course he doesn't remember those times like we do and his reasons for punishments.
Wonder what your dad says about the incident?
i parent/discipline both of my children very differently but i think that has more to do with the fact that they are so different in age and personality.
the worst thing my son ever does is be incredible lazy so we're CONSTANTLY riding him about that. otherwise his behaviour is pretty good, he doesnt get in trouble at school (in fact, hes downright fearful of being in trouble), and he communicates well with us. lucy on the other hand, is conscientous about her work and wants to help, but doesnt aim to please as much as she probably should. she had to be removed from her kindergarten class the other day because she wouldnt stop talking. when i asked her about it that night she was completely calm about it and like, "yeah, i just wasnt ready to stop talking."
even though we discipline so differently for each kid, we really try to always be fair. its hard though. im an only child and didnt have to deal with siblings, jay has a bunch of siblings but there wasnt a lot of parental oversight in his house growing up. so we're kinda making the rules up as we go. :)
Tammie - oh my goodness how do you not laugh when your daughter says stuff like that? That to me was funny. So innocently said and matter of fact.
I think all parents make it up as they go along or else they are lying to us. Because why else would the 1st kid have different rules than the last kid. They found that they didn't need to be so strict or whatever and could adjust as time went on. We tease my parents about this all the time. They agree!
Oh Good Lord did you strike a cord with me.
I got it from both sides. I had older sisters that were WILD. So my mother always thought I was doing drugs, or having sex and I wasn't. I often got beaten "just in case I was". Then I had a younger brother and every time he messed up I got it too. Because I was older and should "set the example".
I grew up hating him because I took many an ass-whopping for him and he could do no wrong in mothers eyes. (I like him now) We would both skip school but I got the beat-down b/c I was oldest. I hated my mom and him for that and promised myself that I would never be that kinda parent.
Now I have 3 boys and a girl.
I am sad to say that I do have a lot of different rules for each kid.
We have core family rules but each kid is so different. With one in High School, one in Middle School, one in elementary and one in preschool the rules and boundaries should be different. The discipline for each of them is different as well.
One of them, if you take his game away it is like death to him, but a spanking is no big deal. The other dreads a spanking and could live without the game so I have to get creative.
Roc - as I said to Tammie, I really think all parents are doing the best they can and each kid is so different from another. Unfortunatley as a child I didn't get that. I do now as an adult.
Like if I got a B it was the end of the world. My sister got a C and they were thrilled. When I asked them about this later in life my parents told me that a C was the best she could do I had A's in me. While I am still not sure I agree with that at least I understood their thinking even if I thought it was nuts. It wasn't meant to be "mean" to me. Know what I mean?
Luckily only have one child makes things very easy :D
But I know my sister is still very bitter because she thinks I had it "easier" growing up. I didn't but she likes to delude herself that way. She never could quite grasp the fact that there was now someone else to take away some of our parent's attention. We were looking at childhood videos the other night and I swear she tried to tackle me at least 3 times. One when I was an infant and it looks like she pushes me back and does a wrestler hold on me :-O
Carma - ooh that's horrible that she is still holding on to that.
I made some old films into DVD's and I felt badly for my sister in this story because it was mostly me. Being the first child I got all the movies and picures and with each additional kid they got less and less in the photo category. It's all the typical family dynamics.
My hubby is an only child and he longed for a sibling because he was blamed for everything that ever happened he claims and there was no one he could pin it on. :-)
The eldest is the beta test child... whatever they do, they're usually the first to do it. We get all the over-reactions.
One night, when I was in late high school, I was driving a car-load of neighbors home from the movies. It was winter on a two-lane stretch of highway and hit a patch of ice out of nowhere. I gallantly fought off the skid as the car's back end flew from side to side, but eventually lost control as we 360's our way off the road, just missing a telephone pole, and into a ditch.
Dad had to come out with the Jeep and tow us out of the ditch and back home, with 2 flat tires.
I thought my reflexes and defensive driving abilities warranted commendation. Dad thought otherwise. He grounded me from the car for a month for being careless while "joy-riding."
"Joyriding? We're just coming home from the movies! How else are we supposed to get home?"
That cost me another month. I was furious.
Years later, my brother had a bunch of friends packed into that same Jeep, spotted a car full of other kids they didn't like, chased them across town and into a parking lot, and rammed the car.
That warranted an appearance in court, which wouldn't be the last time for my brother. He was let off w/ damages paid. But I don't recall any other punishment for him. I mean, it's not like he flattened a couple of tires. That's serious.
So bluzdude you're the oldest too eh? Wow that wasn't fair. I love the expression, just joy riding. I heard that a lot too. And my sister who I was always protecting got arrested from a school prank and nothing happened. I did a school prank and well, you know what happened to me!
Oh, that's so wrong, Peggy! But kinda funny... "you're the oldest, so it's your fault!"
I'm the youngest and never really felt much pressure on me. Not a bad way to grow up.
Abby, you're right, you were very lucky. I also had an unreasonable father so that only added to it all.
There were only two of us, my sister and I. I was the oldest. It was OK when we were little kids, but the older I was the worse it was! I broke the ice for her, so that when she was naughty, they were already familiar with the antics of teenagers. Lets put it this way ~ I was not the favorite :-)
Y - oh yes you were. Most are if first born.
Post a Comment