Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday

Clever post title huh?
Random thoughts….

Movie -Saturday night after a very busy Saturday, Rick and I decided to watch a movie on HBO.
As we got in the ole comfy seats we had really no high expectations for this movie.
But seriously too tired for much else so we settled in.
It was a pleasant surprise. No it wasn’t a great piece of cinema, a la Citizen Kane, but it was funnier than we thought it would be.
It was Date Night with Tina Fey and Steve Carell.
I loved Mark Walberg in this and the running gag of him not putting on a shirt.
When Steve Carell said, “For the love of God put on a shirt” towards the end that made Rick laugh out loud. I guess that really bothers men. Who knew? But when I mentioned that he said how would you feel if Brooklyn Decker only walked around in her bikini and you weren’t at the beach? You’d probably tell her to put on some clothes right? Point taken Mr. Rick!

We were laughing quite a bit during this movie when Rick said, “we’re either really tired or this isn’t that bad.” I think it was a bit of both if we’re being honest. But it was just what the doctor ordered. We needed the laughter, the relaxation after the day we just had and it was nice to be home with my Big Man, my awesome popcorn, drinks, and a sleeping dog.

Oscar opinions – I DVR’d the Oscars but did see some preshow. From what I have heard I shouldn't bother watching it because it was boring. Big surprise knowing who the hosts were. Why not keep comedians is what I want to know. So much better.
So my thoughts on what I say on the preshow are as follows.
I thought so many of the women looked great!
Did you see Jennifer Hudson? Va-va-Voom.
I liked so many of the dresses and all of my favs were so varied yet gorgeous.
But let’s talk about what I thought was odd....much more fun.
There were some very 60’s-70’s vibes. Or was that just me?
I thought Reese Witherspoon looked great in a very Valley of the Dolls way.
Not the drugged/drunk part but the hair and dress. I loved it.
I thought Melissa Leo was very early 70’s. Did not care for it at all.
In fact I had that same dress. Okay the fabric was different but I have that dress in navy when I was in the 11th grade. It was called a maxi dress.
The same collar, sleeves and exact neckline.
The difference between hers and mine would be the slit and the fabric.
It reminded me of all the dresses (called maxi dresses in the 70’s) that we wore in high school. Too casual for my taste for the Oscars.. And her hair? Ooh boy. I like a stylin’ pony tail but hers looked like she tied it back because she was going to throw on her shorts and sneakers to paint the fence. Didn’t do it for me for this occasion. I thought she was all wrong.

I also didn’t care for the men in white tux jackets. (Good Humor Men resemblance)
It also reminded me of my favorite game as a kid, Mystery Date. Anyone old enough to remember that game? The so called best date was the guy in the white suit jacket.

I felt uncomfortable when Kirk Douglas was going on and on. I know he is a legend but it was odd to me. I also think if I am looking at a legend and all I see his is plastic surgery gone wrong it’s sad.

Charlie Sheen –
On a flippant note...See what drugs and too much money will do to you kids?
20/20 tomorrow night should be interesting with his full interview.
His interview on GMA this morning was wild.
He looks like hell. And if he sues I don’t see a judge or jury awarding him a damn thing.
Possibly a narcissistic award or an award for Delusion.
Who is more delusional, Dina/Lindsay Lohan or Charlie Sheen?
On a more empathetic and serious note, I think he may be seriously ill.
I think he is acting maniac. He thinks he speaks the truth and must talk and talk and talk and that he is so damn smart. I only personally know one person who is bipolar and when she is in this state she is in constant talk mode. She thinks she is brilliant and can solve all the problems of the world when in this state. He seems the same right now.
It's all so sad. Really sad. It's like we are all watching a train wreck

Books
When I begin a book I want to read it until I am finished. It drives me crazy that I have to stop and deal with life in the middle of this story. The only book in recent history that I was so angry while reading that I had to put down was the book, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.  Ooh how that book still pisses me off.  It had so much promise.
But I digress…
I always feel like I am totally ensconced in this great world and I don’t want to leave until I have to. To me having to put a book mark in a book is like having to pause a movie for a day or a few hours and then get back to it. I don’t enjoy that. However as a busy adult I don’t often get that much time to sit and read a book from cover to cover in one sitting. I have had a book for awhile now that I haven’t had time to read. But this weekend I read it in 24 hrs. A lot of stops and starts but I wasn't leaving it for another day.

The topic of this book is me. 'Confessions of a She-Fan'
It is about a woman who is obsessed with her baseball team. This was not fiction. This book is from the writer, Jane Heller who writes fun face paced novels with great humor. So if I like her writing and I love this topic why didn’t I read this since it’s been on my desk for a very long time? Because I had a preconceived idea of what the book would be. I thought it may be stats and play by plays repeated about certain games. I thought it would be more insider than what I would enjoy. But I couldn’t have been more wrong. 'Dumb ole Margaret' to quote Dennis the Menace.

I loved this book. I would laugh and then read out loud something that I particularly loved while my husband  is working on his laptop and would hear these random words across the room and say, “Who are you talking to Margaret?” or “What the hell are you talking about?” Oh yea, I forgot he wasn’t reading this along with me. I loved that this book was exactly how I view my team. It was exactly how I feel when we suck or win. It was how I feel about the players. More feeling and emotion than ESPN. Who the players are more than just who bats left and who may opt out of their contract. I loved reading about the rituals you don't get to see that are happening when I am watching a commercial.
She is me. That was comforting.

Her husband, Michael, was Rick.  Loving wonderfully supportive husbands.
Rick loves me so while he loves this team, he does most of what he does for me.  She was living my dream except for the bad hotels, the lousy hot dogs, and the foul mouth opposing teams who are not smart enough to say anything more than my team sucks. So when it comes right down to it this book did exactly what any good book or movie will do. It was character driven and I couldn’t put it down.  She had me from the first page and I didn’t want it to end. It was great story telling like a girl friend and I were just chatting. Now if I could find a girlfriend in real life who could understand me this well……

10 comments:

Raquel's World said...

I loved Date Night!

regan said...

I've always said, "Mark Wahlberg should ALWAYS have his shirt off." I haven't seen the movie, but now I guess I must! Sweet!

And I too had a friend that was bi-polar.....had.....cuz she was just too much to take. She was the only one that could be right, and from one minute to the next, you didn't know what to expect from her mood, but when she was in 'happy-fun' mood, she was really great....it was just the other 80% of the time, she was a nightmare! But you can't tell them they have a problem....they think YOU do! And they get so angry about it, too! There's just no getting through to them, so I don't see how Sheen will ever really be helped! I'm sure he doesn't trust anyone enough to listen to them. I guess we'll just watch the train wreck!

mamahasspoken said...

I watched the train wreck this morning too. I think he's too full of himself and only cares about himself especially when they were talking about one of his guest at his party reported about feeling uncomfortable at his party due to the drugs being used. His reply was basically too bad for her. What a great host he is! OH and when he was confronted about being bi-polar he was a total ass with his response.

Anonymous said...

i loved date night too, and i really dont normally like *those* kinds of movies. in fact i really try to avoid typical comedies or romantic comedies because they usually just irritate me but this was a good one. i mean, then ending was ridiculously far fetched but yet it fit. plus, i just think that tina fey and steve carell seemed like a married couple.

i didnt watch the oscars. i saw melissa leos dress this morning though and yeah, its pretty ugly. but i LOVE her. ive loved her since she was on my favorite show of all time ever, Homicide: Life on the Street.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mama - I am beginning to feel terrible that I wrote that about Charlie. I really do think he is ill and when he thought he was doing fine he stop his medication. He fits that profile so well. His response to the bi-polar questions was in fact standard text book.

Tammie - I know what you mean about how they seemed like a normal married couple. I have to say when she had her mouth guard in I howled. So me,only with my retainer. :-)
Never saw Homicide: life on the street before.

Anonymous said...

Homicide was SOOOOOO good. andre braugher was on it and if i remember correctly you like him-from Men of a Certain Age.

Jane Heller said...

Thanks for that wonderful review of "She-Fan." I'm so glad you finally decided to read it. Yes, we are the same person for better or worse! xxoo

Carma Sez said...

I can't believe we have yet to see date night. I love Tina on 30 Rock and of course, Steve is always good but I did not know Marky Mark was in the movie - now I really need to rent it!!!! What was the name of that movie where he was the pRon actor - still remember the bathroom mirror scene to this day.

But I digress. You did not miss much with the Oscars - at all.

Jennifer's dress fit well except it made it look like her boobs were grapefruits just glued to her chest. It was a weird vibe.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carma - the movie Mark was in Boogie Nights/Dirk Diggler. :-)

Yea, Jen's boobs were odd. I think they taped them there and it was a bit high wasn't it?

Gal Friday said...

I did not watch the Oscars, either(guess I did not miss much), but I alsways check out the pics from the red carpet the next day. I thought Mila Kunis's dress the most lovely.

Thanks for the tip on a new movie to watch and a book to look out for!

I used to LOVE the TV series "Homicide"--it was set(and filmed) in Baltimore -loved all the characters and actors on that show(especially my man Denis Leary).