Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Love Lucy and Television.

I love the I Love Lucy show.  

I have seen all episodes a zillion times in my lifetime but it doesn't matter. If it's on I will watch it.  The fact that I can watch it over and over again completely befuddles Rick. 
Now he watches fishing on television so do we really think he is someone who should judge?

This weekend he was reading the paper after we had just sat down with our 2nd cup of coffee. It was only around 7 or 7:30 am and I had the TV on in the back ground. I wasn't paying attention but I was thinking I was going to just sit for a bit and savor this coffee while Izzy was sleeping at my feet. I love early morning when it's quiet and calm like this.  Then I Love Lucy came on, now that got my attention.  Yea, an excuse to just sit and be still for 30 minutes. 

I admit I prefer when Lucy and Ricky are in New York.  I am not a big fan of the location shows. To me when the show is centered around their NY apartment, with Fred and Ethel is when it's best. This particular show was when the 4 of them were in California while Ricky made a movie.

Lucy and Ethel were at a famous designer's showroom.  Lucy told the woman what she was looking to try on.  The woman asked Lucy what size she wore and Lucy said, "A Size 12." 
I have seen this episode so many times but it was like I heard that line for the first time. 
A Size 12!  In today's society that is considered plus size.  No one ever considered Lucy fat but today she would be told to lose weight or she wouldn't get on television.  And if she did get a show they would have to write in something about her large size.  Are there any people on television over a size 4 who aren't on a show where they constantly talk about being fat?  Or who aren't older veteren actors like Kathy Bates? I couldn't come up with any.

In other television new by Peg....Did any of you catch the program Episodes?  We really enjoyed it. It stars Matt LeBlanc who you may remember as Joey on Friends.  It started out slow for us but it grew on us rather quickly. Sadly it was also over so quickly. We watched the last episode this week and I was so bummed that it was the finale already.  Matt was great in this show and role.  While I loved the character Joey on Friends I am glad to see he wasn't doing Joey.  This was a very funny look at the business of show business. Honestly I couldn't do it. All the lying, back stabbing, manipulating and ass kissing.  Not that anyone is asking.

Another show I love that I want to put on your radar is Raw Nerve. The host is William Shatner. I know, I know you're thinking really how good can this be?  I was shocked too. It's a 30 minute talk show with one guest. Shatner has a way of getting them to talk about things that will surprise you.  I can't say I've ever been a big fan of Florence Henderson but she was fascinating on this show. I think even she was surprised at where he took her on this interview. Hey not all of them are out of the park but for the most park it's a really good 30 minutes. I am usually watching this at 2am when I can't sleep.  (It's on the Bio channel.)

This is what I'm watching while Rick is tuning into his favorite guilty pleasure Tabatha's Salon Takeover.  Ha -You've now been outed Rick!
So what have you been tuning into that is a guilty pleasure?

21 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Horribly ashamed to admit it but..Bad Girls Club...ssshhhh.
This show is a reality show about a bunch of drunk, trashy, troublemaking women that all live in a big mansion. And basically all they do is get wasted and fight. Shame on me, I know.

Okay and the other ....The Bachelor. -sigh-

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Roc - that's why they are called guilty pleasures!

Carolyn said...

Sizes have changed a lot over the years though. A size 12 from when I Love Lucy was on is now about a size 8 or even a 6. That's a big difference!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn - I don't think it really is a 6 or 8. Watch her when she is wearing leggings and a shorter top. She's big by today's standards. I think it is a 12 or at best a 10. Neither a 6 or 8.

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA. i almost just snorted coffee out of my nose. Tabithas salon takeover!! i remember the first time i saw that i was like, WHAT IS THIS!? but then i watched four more episodes in a row and couldnt stop. so yeah, i get it.

i really like cartoons and could easily waste hours watching them. i will also admit to getting sucked into What Not to Wear.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - see? we all have our guilty pleasures. I have tons! But to me Rick's are way funnier.
I too have watched What Not to Wear. I will tune in from time to time. I love Clinton. I would not love to be in that 360 mirror with those horrendous floursant lights!!

Julie H said...

I hardly ever watch TV anymore. Everyone else is always hogging it.

I was just reading an article how barbie and princesses and brats dolls all make girls so shallow and vain and wanting to be anorexic etc. I don't really agree with it but we do seem to have this image of what's "healthy" and "attractive" and "sexy" and it's usually not a size 12.

Anonymous said...

i love clinton too. hes my gay boyfriend, well, one of my many gay boyfriends. frankly, i think i need more male gay friends. because most women just piss me off.

back to tv: during the day i really try not to turn the tv on other than for kids shows because i just really dont need to be sitting around watching tv. BUT the other day i turned on the tv and there was a Law and Order criminal intent marathon on. peggy, that really isnt even my favorite law and order but i still watched three episodes! i kept trying to find chores i could do while remaining in my room and in front of the tv. i dusted all the bedroom furniture, folded laundry, and ironed a lot of jays shirts that day. :)

Tracy said...

Lucy? a size 12? no way!!! I'm a size 12 and she's definitley smaller...
Anyway, My husband's show of addiction is House Hunters on HGTV...we can watch the same episode over and over. Oh well, he says, 'I could have a worse addiction!'
...touche!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - I have a lot of gay male friends. I worked in the travel industry.....I could count on 1 hand the straight men! Oh the stories I could tell.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tracy - that is my thing! - I watch almost everything on HGTV and now I have some on DIY. my DVR is almost all those 2 channels. My hubby always gets what house they'll pick on HHunters. I am the one who is always screaming at them - pick 2, pick 2. And of course I am always wrong.

Your hubby is correct - it could be worse like Dog the Bounty Hunter or something of that ilk.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tracy are you as tall as she was? I read where she was 5'6 1/2"
I think Carolyn could be correct and she was a 10 but she was not smaller than that!

Yankee Girl said...

I am the same way with Friends. I can watch it all the time and never get sick of it.

Haven't seen Episodes though. I do want to check it out.

Christopher said...

I love Lucy also. Sheri and I will watch it all the time. Someday we want to watch it all the way through from start to finish.

Also, digging on episodes.

My guilty pleasure is still Survivor. I shouldn't like that show but I do.

Jane Heller said...

Who doesn't love Lucy?! I'm like you. I could watch any episode any time I happen to catch one. I, too, prefer the ones set in NYC but the one where they're in California and she meets William Holden and sets her nose on fire is just a classic.

Unknown said...

with the size things, Lucy was most likey a size 8 by today's standards. I love vintage clothes and you always have to buy a size way bigger than you actually are to get it to fit! Also marilyn monroe was considered a size 16. Today that's more like a size 12 or 10.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Carolyn you are just a wealth of information. Thx! Yep I knew Marilyn would be considered fat by today's standards.

Carma Sez said...

we didn't have a tv back in the day (we were the weirdo family) - but we used to watch I Love Lucy at our grandparents bungalow in upstate NY.

Is Joey's show going to be renewed? I've heard great things about it but we don't have cable (newer version of the weirdo family) :D

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carma - I don't think that makes you a weirdo. I wish I could say i didn't love my idiot box.

I don't know about Matt LaBlanc's show being renewed. I so hope so.
If you can watch it online somewhere you may want to go that route. There weren't very many probably less than 10.

mamahasspoken said...

I think what was decieving on Lucy's size was the style of clothes she wore. The tight on the top slim at the waist and flare out into a tent on the skirt. Boy I wish that style would come back. It would hide so much!
My guilty pleasures are so horrible I'm afraid to tell them to you......
Teen Mom 2, Toddlers and Tiras, Hard Core Pawn, oh the list goes on and on. I call them train wreck shows. You know you shouldn't watch but you can't help yourself because all I do is sit and yell at the tv at how stupid some people can be. Serious, I do that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

mamma - dont' we all?