Wait, allow me to rephrase that…..when my hair began to go gray I wished I could wear salt and pepper well.
I see woman of all ages with this beautiful gray hair.
Short and spiky, long or classic bob, they all look great..
I would love that lower maintenance hair color.
Look at Emmy Lou Harris. Her hair is a beautiful color of white.
And Jamie Lee Curtis. She looks great with gray hair I think.
I began to gray early. I had gray hairs in my mid 30’s.
I began to color my hair as soon as it was the majority of color that framed my face.
I used to say, When I’m 50 I’ll just let it be gray.
For some reason 50 seemed so damn old at age 34 and so far away. HAH!
But then in my late 40’s I had surgery and I couldn’t color my hair for awhile.
The gray no longer just framed my face. All of my roots were gray.
I must admit I was shocked. Joke was on me.
I had 2 inches of hair growth that was this horrible yellow gray color and I was mortified.
As soon as I was able I got myself to the hairdresser for brunette hair STAT.
I used to tell Tracy, my stylist, that when I turn 50 how about we just let the color go and just go natural. She would always say no. I would laugh and say, “well it’s my hair”
She would laugh as well and say, “No we won’t be doing that.”
She said this with such conviction it would make me laugh.
Then I hit 50. I tried, oh how I tried. The problem is they can’t dye it gray.
So you have to grow it out and that is a very nasty look.
I gave up fairly quickly. I realized I may never be able to do this.
Unless I want to wear a hat forever for or at the least a year which I do not.
Now I say when I’m 60 I’ll go for it. But who am I kidding I bet I won’t.
I told my new hairdresser of my ambition she turned up her nose.
Recently while getting my hair colored I was moaning about the high maintenance of all this coloring. She asked if she could be honest with me.
Sure, I told her I won’t be offended; just tell me what you think.
She said, “Your hair color isn’t a pretty white it has a yellow tint.
I do not think this would look good with your complexion.
I am not telling you this so you keep coming to be colored honestly; I just think you’ll be very unhappy if you do this.”
Great so now my own hair color will look terrible on me.
Why don't men have these issues?
I know she’s right but my goodness I want to be rid of this feeling of being tied to hair color.
I have tried the do it yourself at home but it can tend to look flat.
It looks so much better when professionally colored.
A friend of mine has always colored her long hair or I should say bleached her hair.
As she got older I found her hair got blonder.
Then she got breast cancer and her long blonde hair went quickly after chemo started.
As it began to grow again her hair grew in the most beautiful salt and pepper color.
When she got enough hair to get a style she got a real cute short messy a bit spiky haircut.
A hair cut she never would have been brave enough to try otherwise.
She looks better than ever. (and best of all healthy now!)
Personally I find her new hair matches her personality far better and while she has the salt and pepper instead of the blonde I think she looks much younger with it like this.
She agrees and would never go back to coloring her hair or growing it long again.
She says she feels free. Oh my goodness I want that ....without the chemo part.
I’m beginning to think I may be the only old person in a wooden box with a beautiful head of brunette hair with low lights and highlights.
What age will I finally just figure the hell with it?
Why isn't there a way to grow this out to see for myself?
And can't they put a rinse over the yellowish tint to make it white?
Or is that just more maintenance?
Will you let your hair just be gray?
Are you waiting for a certain age when you think you’ll just go gray?
Or will you be holding on to your orginial hair color until the end?


11 comments:
Love that photo of Emmy Lou H. Will I ever go grey. No! It's in the genes. My mother is 91 and still dyes her hair flaming red. I really like being a blond, however, I love the salt and pepper look. It's so sophisticated.
Happy week,
Mary
all my life ive had a streak of grey hair right on the top of my head. when my hair is short, it mostly goes unnoticed, except by those really close to me or whoever may be doing my hair. when my hair is longer, its much more noticeable and i do get comments on it. i guess in a way, ive had my whole life to get used to the idea of going grey.
in the past few years ive gotten more grey hair here and there. mostly, it doesnt bother me. i do color my hair from time to time, but mostly just for a change, not to really cover anything.
who knows though....ask me again in 10 years.
Yellow-Grey?
Sorry that does sound yuck, I stay stick with the color.
I started coloring my hair in my 20's just for fun. When I turned 50 I decided to see what my real color was. At the time it was quite short and when it came in it was quite streaky instead of an all over thing. I've since let it go to a mid-length bob. It looks like it's highlighted. Only this one is for real. Why do they always tell you highlights look natural? Let's get real. Unless your hair is going grey there is nothing natural about highlights. We just pretend they are. But then there's nothing natural looking about an old woman (or man - and I work with one) with jet black hair and old people skin. Way ickier than going grey.
I'm 29 and dying my hair bc of the grays already... I imagine that one day I'll let it be gray but after reading this maybe I won't ever stop dying it brown!
Jamie Lee Curtis looks fantastic.
My twin sister & I dyed our mousy colored hair red for many years. A couple of years ago, she decided to go natural so she got a permanent which took out most of the color. I waited a year or so then decided to go "white". It took many months, but I got numerous compliments on my "pink" tips. I doubt we will ever color again as the white is very nice.
Ah, my twin sis is so funny! We'd probably color it again in a heart beat if it didn't have to be done every 4-6 weeks. We are just getting lazy in our 'old' age!
I started getting grey in my 20s. I don't want to think about what it would look like now if I stopped coloring it. My mother was completely grey (she tried to color it, but it looked awful) in her 30s and people used to ask if she was my grandmother!
i'm an older mom and I want my kids to think I'm young - so to the hairdresser I go!
It appears I may always have brown hair too. Got my hair cut last night and the opinion of all in the salon was keep it brown. Oh the peer pressure. :-)
I love that silvery grey(almost white) look, too! But, I think there is also some work and dying to get it that tone.
Don't know what I will do about my hair when it greys. Right now, I am still a naturally brown haired Gal who doesn't have to do anything to her hair--take after my father who didn't start to get grey hairs until he was 50.
But..I am fairly vain, so think...I will likely end up coloring it and covering it up.
Beautiful photo of Emmy Lou Harris!!
I don't think I could pull off the salt and pepper look so I will be fighting the gray until the end ;-)
Post a Comment