First the drive. Then of course the family dynamics.
While I love my family it can be difficult and some days that is an understatement.
My Dad being older now he is very mellow and that sure is easier.
But at the same time it's sad to see him like this as well.
This trip was so much more light hearted.
What I find interesting in this whole thing is how we were all there at the same time and we all have different memories of a situation.
My reality could be completely different than a sisters reality of the same exact situation.
I would love to know the why, the how and what that all means.
But I suppose I need a therapist for that.
My sister Pam and I were the only 2 kids when our mom died.
She was so young (10) and she doesn't have the memories that I do.
Pam and I normally are the least close of all the sisters. We are oil and water.
But this weekend she was so easy to be around.
As my sister Jennifer said, "maybe she's mellowing with age"
Whatever it was she wasn't defensive and she wasn't snarky to anyone of us.
But as all of us spoke about this situation in a photo or that one we all remembered something a little bit different and I really find that fascinating. When I said that to all my sisters they laughed and said, "Only you would find that interesting like a science project when the rest of us don't even notice it!"
So it goes to show you that it's true, when you go home you revert to who you are in the pecking order of your family!
Here are some of the photo's from the 70's that made my sisters and I all laugh.
I will take you right through the 90's.
You have to promise not to make fun of me - I know the hairstyles and the clothes are damn funny though. The 80's were not good to me!
This is Pam and myself one Christmas morning and that little bald head in the bottom right hand corner is our new sister from our new mom and our dad. As you can see I am not a happy person in the morning - nothing has changed. Yes those are big ass rollers on the top of my head. Check out Pam's "Mrs. Carol Brady" hair do. She took a lot of shit this past Saturday about that look.
This is my cousin Betsy and I in 1970. Check out the poster!
I can't believe I am putting this photo into the universe.
I will have to find one to counter balance but it is funny I will admit that.
I think I had the "Rachel" before the real Rachel did.
Someone should have removed the tweezers from my hands for God's sake I plucked them to nothing! (15 yrs old here) I have skinny and not straight eyebrows here. Oh my.
You can stop laughing now!
These are my 2 youngest sisters.
Ann Marie is the toddler and Jennifer is the baby.
Ann Marie is the toddler and Jennifer is the baby.
I am 17 yrs old here. When I took these two places everyone assumed I was their mother.
I remember this picture being taken yet I can't remember where the hell I put my purse or my cell phone at any given moment. How does that happen?
Off of me for a moment PLEASE.
This is my favorite Uncle, Uncle Angelo and his wife Ruthie.This is my favorite Grandma, a.k.a.Grandma C who you can read about here.
Love Grandma C!
Uncle Ange and my Dad are brothers and never without a cigar in the 70's.
Back to narcisstic me.....Why in the hell would I wear a shirt like this?
I don't remember owning it.
I think I may have blocked out that time of my life for such poor taste.
I don't know who these kids are which I find hysterical.
And I wish I didn't know the girl in the stupid shirt with the flipped back hair on the sides.
Maybe it's not me but someone who looks like me. Yea, I'm sticking with that.
Okay I am going to leave you today with a set of 4 and then an old wedding photo.
(We will visit the 80's later this week.)
It is my guess here that it was my 19th birthday.
My high school sweetheart and now ex husband bought me this opal ring which I wanted so badly.
He first surprised me by coming home for my birthday (he was in the minor leagues then)
He then surprised me with this gift which as you can see from these dorky pictures I so loved! This was my last year at my parents.
And now to end the decade this below is 1979
That hat! The whole thing!
I have no words.

That's all for now folks.....I've bored you all enough for today.
Now damn it, stop the laughing!










5 comments:
Omg That was so enjoyable and personally I think you were hot in both decades. And I love the shirt!
Raquel that was just the 70's! The 80's are coming - dreadful perms.
if I still had the shirt I'd send it to you! Screw e-harmony!!!
Oh, my, you brought out so many memories for me. I loved the 70s.
Thanks,
Mary
Holy cow woman! I love it! You were such a pretty little thing! Oh I love these pictures (wait, did I already say that?)!
Thanks for sharing them with us!
I LOVE THIS! i love the christmas morning picture-the look on your face is priceless. i am a BEAST in the morning so my face usually looks like that. and your sisters hair!!! oh my. its brutal.
in the opal ring pictures, the big fork and spoon on the wall...do your parents still own those? i have looked high and low for a set my whole adult life. if they still have them and ever want to sell them, id pay good money (ok, id pay $20. tops.) for the set if they ever have a yard sale.
Post a Comment