Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Organized Religion - Oh No She Didn't!

So you are saying to yourself, Margaret, you said you weren’t going to watch the news and continue in your state of delusion. Okay I do prefer my Leave it To Beaver world I admit but there are just some dumb ass shit that has to be addressed.

I was at the doctors office and I was reading a magazine that lists the “new sins” that the Pope has come out with.

Now before you go on you must understand this about me.
I don’t happen to enjoy organized religion.
If you get what you need from it spiritually, emotionally and peacefully then by all means it’s good for you. I am also happy for anyone who receives what they feel they need from this religion of choice. However, Do not try to convert me or do not try to ask me for money. This country was founded on freedom of religion but it seems to be infiltrating our society in a very negative way to me.

This is just my humble opinion and while you have every right to your own blog pontificating your views and beliefs of what ever cult you belong to that is just fine. I think whatever works for you is fine as long as you aren’t telling me I am going to hell, a bad person, or overall immoral because I do not agree with you.

Why can’t we all live our lives as we wish without others imposing their shit on you? If you don’t like what I say – move on. If you don’t like that TV show – change the channel. If you don’t believe in same sex marriage, then marry someone of the opposite sex, if you think that L.Ron Hubbard is your leader then by God go to the mothership. But do not tell me I am wrong because I don’t believe it. Don’t tell me I am going to hell because I do not fear my God. Do not tell me that I am going to hell and am immoral because I wish to marry someone of my own sex. You see where I’m going here. Basically leave me the fuck alone.

Catholism is a hot point to me only because I was raised this way. When I asked questions I was punished. I don’t believe in most of what I was taught but I learned early on to shut up so you can move on. I was smart enough to at least learn that and when around my family I live by that. And it ain’t easy. My Dad would put on the Nike's and drink the Kool-Aid if Pope Benedict told him to....and i am not exaggerating.

That brings me to the Pope’s new sins he came out with a few weeks ago.
I read where some archbishop said the new sins were needed to be more relevant.
The first one I found tragic and a bit humorous. But most I thought fell into the category of the original 7 deadly sins but apparently they needed tweaked and updated which makes me scratch my head a bit. Are we now dumbing down our sins too like the rest of society? If it wasn't so tragic it is funny.

One of the new sins is pedophilia.
Hard not to laugh at that one isn’t it? Do you see the irony here?
Excuse me isn’t the Catholic Church one of those that engage in this activity? Aren’t they the ones that when informed of a priest at a particular parish is committing such a “sin” that they move him to another church? I guess instead of damnation or punishment for said sin they reward the priest with a new crop of kids to abuse.
Fresh meat so to speak. It sickens me.

The new sins are drugs, pollution, genetic manipulation and social and economic injustices. If this is the case then the only comfort I get is that the whole damn lot in the Bush administration is going straight to hell. (Oops that’s politics isn’t it?)

Why not add war in this list? They should add torture to this list.
Bottom line – was all this hoopla necessary? Are the Catholic followers really so slow that they don’t know what is right and wrong? Are they really so gullible that they now know that pedophilia is a sin and they didn’t before they were told this by a man wearing a robe and a big hat? That is what frightens me most. I need to believe they knew and they too are shaking their heads at how out of touch their leader is.

The Pope is here in DC today and it has caused great congestion and traffic and I guess this event will be like a rock star visiting. I will not be there but I know it brings a lot of happiness and fulfillment to those that are attending and for that I am happy and I pray that some peace comes from them all even for a moment.

My hope is that next year this leader will come out with a new list of sins about religions who preach hatred of certain groups and exclusion of certain people and he then only preaches equality and compassion.

A girl can dream can't she?

No comments: