Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Author David Sedaris

I was first introduced to this great comedy writer while delayed at the Boston Airport. I hate being delayed and I dislike Boston even more. But something good happened that day....even in Boston.
I picked up his book, "Me Talk Pretty One Day" while waiting for my flight to leave.
Having spent 7 years in speech class I was intrigued by the title so I picked it up.


We finally got to board our plane. Lucky for me I got upgraded since I was a premiere executive. (translation - poor son of a bitch frequent flyer with a ton of miles who has to travel most days of the week and is miserable so they put you up front to appease you)
There I sat sipping my Tanqueray and I was laughing non stop. I closed the book because it was causing me great discomfort trying to suppress my laughter and I sounded like an idiot - I knew that much.


The man next to me was reading a biography of our president Lincoln. I glanced over at this good looking well dressed man and thought it said something about him that he would choose his biography book over say, “Thanks Stadium Pal" To me I had a vision of this man by the book he chose already played out in my mind. And I wondered what he thought of this lunatic woman next to him that couldn't stop laughing aloud?


After we took off I began to read again. There were a few chapters that made me weep and I was trying desperately to stifle laughter. I finally closed my book and wiped my eyes. My seat partner leaned over and said to me, "What is the name of your book, it sounds so much better than mine."


I handed him the book so he could read some. He began to laugh and even read some things aloud to me. Okay that made me feel better - now I wasn’t the only lunatic laughing aloud. By the time we were at our jet way in DC he said he really wanted to trade books with me but handed mine back to me anyway.


While this link isn't the reading of this particular book it sure as hell is a funny story of David's just the same. I defy you to listen to this reading and not crack up. It doesn't hurt that he is reading it either.


Enjoy.

No comments: