Some of you may be too young to remember The Andy Griffith Show.
Sadly, I am not.
I watched Andy, Opie, and Aunt Bee and their cast of crazy friends and neighbors a lot when I was a kid.
Driving to Columbus a couple of weeks ago, we drove through areas of NC we had never been to.
First sign - Mt. Pilot. Rick says, Hey, isn't that where Andy and Barney had to go sometimes for work? Yes, I say with such pleasure.
2nd sign was Mt Airy. We both recall this from the show, but don't recall why they went there.
The 3rd sign said, Aunt Bee's Cafe. ( I always thought it was "Bea"; apparently, I was wrong.)
This brought us such joy and giggles. For a 7.5 hr road trip, these are the little things that entertain you.
I read somewhere that the actress who played Aunt Bee was only 58 when she began on Andy Griffith. A very different 58 from today I'd say, wouldn't you?
When I was working in NY, I had to go somewhere that I don't recall the name of the town I was going to, sadly.
As I was driving, I saw the sign for New Rochelle. Again, my TV habits as a kid reared their head because the first thing I thought of was The Dick Van Dyke Show. Rob and Laura lived in New Rochelle.
I don't know where my phone or keys are at any given moment, but tv and music trivia I remember. I wonder why that is? Is there a scientific reason? Or am I just a strange bird, or both? If these were Jeopardy categories, I'd clear the entire category for TV and music trivia.
When my mom died, all my chores and taking care of everyone's needs would be done for the day. Usually by evening. I would retreat to my room. I had a small tv in there. 9inch maybe. It was my escape to other worlds where life was fun and everyone was laughing. I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, etc. If it was winter time I was found in my room when I could escape and get lost in books or tv shows. (Summer was all books and my bike)
Even today, when I see those shows, they make me smile. There is a channel called Catchy on Dish Network, and I catch these shows at 2am or lunch time, and I have to say it cures what is ailing me. Better than a drug, they just make my shoulders go down, my anxiety relaxes, and I find myself just smiling and feeling good. I don't know the reason. I'm sure many psychiatrists could tell me why. But I don't much care.
I enjoy these old shows, and they make me happy.
When I got older, there was a show called That Girl. Oh, how I wanted her life. Not to be an actress, but to live in NYC and have a friend across the hall. Years later, it was Mary Tyler Moore. I wanted to be her. A career, her apartment, her clothes, her friendship with Rhoda.
As I have said here many times, I wanted to be Mary, but one day I realized I was Rhoda.
The wisecracking friend who was always 2nd to Mary.
From Leave It To Beaver to today. TV has always allowed me to escape.
After Rick's stroke, it has done the same.
I am sure there are serious issues about all this. However, I don't wish to change now. I yam what I yam as Popeye would say. See another TV character I quote.
Yeah, I think there is something wrong with me.
But y'all knew that.
26 comments:
I watched all those shows too when I was young. Good times!
I remember and watched all those shows you mentioned. I think watching them now takes us back to a time when life was much, much simpler!
Hello! Welcome. You are probably right. My life was not easy as a kid though. But it was my escape for sure!!
😁
I also love those shows and watch them often. My all time favorite is the Dick Van Dyke show about aliens and walnuts. If I'm scrolling through to see what is one and see it listed, even if it's two hours from now, I'm gonna watch that one. Great nostalgia post!
Nina
Nina, I love that one! Laura comes out of the closet on all the walnuts!😁
Nothing wrong with watching those. Sometimes we do too.
When we were in North Carolina for our daughter's wedding (she met a guy online from Troutman NC and moved there from Oregon to marry him--so far so good), we ate breakfast at Barney's Cafe in Mt. Airy and then wandered around. Saw the Andy and Opie statue. We didn't know anything about the town--just wanted something to eat. Didn't see Aunt Bee's cafe, though. Ate lunch in Boone. Now there's a town I could see myself in if I had to live in NC.
Sheila that is so cool. Never been to Boone, all I know is it's close to Ashville. That area is beautiful in fall. We may have to take a trip there in fall.
They don't age well but sometimes that's what I like. 😁
The series I'm most familiar with among this is the MTM show and yes to anyone who identifies as Rhoda; she was endlessly entertaining. I'm very nostalgic for old tv too...although your youth situation sounds especially challenging, I think we all long for simpler times.
When I first began dating my husband we had an episode of MTM on in the background at his house. He said without even knowing how I felt about this show - "I always loved Rhoda. I didn't get why they called her fat. She was so damn cute and funny. She was the one I'd go after." I laughed. I didn't tell him what that meant to me for a long time. I mean I didn't wish to scare him away :-)
That Girl, Marlo Thomas, and Mary Tyler Moore were to die for. I was not going to be even near either one when I grew up, but they were the Miss America to my teenage dreams
I always say where I live is a lot like the Andy Griffith show. Not as much now as it was when we moved here 30 plus years ago but most people still wave and everyone knows the business.
I am thrilled that TV provided some distraction and relief during times that were anything but easy for you.
Trivia: Just as some of your readers were too young to have watched your programs, some of us were too old to watch them by the time they came along. The first "re-runs" that I watched upon being gifted with a TV in about 1990 was (The Original) Star Trek. Now, about the only non-news program that I watch is a different genre: Georgie and Mandy's First Marriage. I had to step AFK a moment to go watch the last 3 minutes. I forgot to watch, again!
P.S. I also enjoyed reruns of the program with Penny Marshall (can't recall name of program.)
I love that there are so many channels that show the classic TV shows, because I can revisit my favorites and see the ones I didn't get a chance to back in the day.
When I see the old black and white TV shows I think, why don't they colorize this!
Ob Mike. 🙃
Well put. No, never gonna be them but it was fun to dream.😇
Like Cheers, everybody knows your name...and business. 😁
It's a nice distraction from our scary world today too
No TV until 1990? No I Love Lucy? Oh dear. Are you referring to Laverne and Shirley for the Penny Marshall show?
I was always more into Rhoda too. I thought Mary was too much of a priss. Granted, I was just a kid. My dad, however, Looooved MTM, probably going back to the Dick Van Dyke show.
Yeah, I just cant rock a head scarf!
Yes and people yell your name when you walk into the bar haha
Post a Comment