I have been glutened.
Man, I've been feeling bad. As I tend to do, I am plowing through but I don't wish to.
Being glutened is like getting the flu. It takes 2 weeks for me to feel good again. I did this to myself. I knew better.
Last Thursday, Rick wanted a Jersey Mike's Big Kahuna sub/hoagie.
He ordered it, and I went to pick it up since I was out and about, and it was on my way home.
When I got home, I saw that mine was not a bowl but on bread. I said I can't eat this. He said they told him this was gluten-free bread. When I held my sandwich, I saw that it was gf because it was dry and falling apart.
But cross-cantamination is a real issue.
Rick said, "Oh, I asked, and they promised it does not touch the other bread surfaces or use the same knife. "
Well, it was great that he asked them, but I know better. They lie.
I doubted eating it, but then Rick began apologizing, and I felt bad.
I ate half of it with the lousy bread and then took out the insides.
Within an hour or 2 I felt it. I knew. Damn it. The diarrhea, the vomiting and oh, the stomach pain. I haven't been sleeping due to this. I want to scream. I know you can't eat what "they" call gluten-free in a restaurant - ever. I've done it twice - got sick both times in 20 yrs. So no more.
If I do ever cheat, it will be something far better than Jersey Mike's!
Rick's birthday is Tuesday(19), and I have a lot to do.
He wanted lasagna. He wanted apple pie.
I made both on Monday.
I'm going to wrap myself in a blanket and crawl onto the sofa.
I'm taking a couple of days off, probably from here.
Here is what happens if you get glutened.
I know you didn't ask, but sometimes folks really don't understand Celiac Disease. May happens to be Celiac Awareness Month.
Trust me, I get all of this and severe swelling in my limbs, face, and abdomen. Fun times.
When you have celiac disease and consume gluten, your immune system triggers an autoimmune response that attacks the lining of your small intestine. This damages the villi (tiny, nutrient-absorbing projections) and causes systemic inflammation, potentially leading to gastrointestinal distress, fatigue, brain fog, and joint pain.
Immediate Immune Response
Within hours (typically 2 to 4 hours) of ingestion, your body mounts an acute attack. The reaction intensity varies greatly from person to person, but common acute symptoms include:
- Nausea and severe vomiting
- Diarrhea and abdominal cramping
- Fatigue and extreme lethargy
Delayed and Systemic Symptoms
Even if your gastrointestinal symptoms subside quickly, the immune reaction often causes widespread inflammation. Delayed effects can last for days or weeks and can manifest as:
- Neurological: Severe "brain fog," migraines, and mood changes.
- Dermatological: A painful, itchy blistering rash calledp0 dermatitis herpetiformis.
- Musculoskeletal: Joint and muscle pain.
Crucially, you can have "silent" celiac disease. If you ingest gluten but feel no outward symptoms, your small intestine is still being damaged. Repeated exposures prevent the villi from healing, leading to long-term issues like nutrient deficiencies (e.g., anemia), osteoporosis, and fertility issues.
What to Do If You Get Glutened
There is no medication or quick cure to instantly remove gluten from your body. Recovery requires a focus on supportive care and hydration:
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water and electrolyte-rich fluids to replace losses from vomiting and diarrhea.
- Eat Bland Foods: Stick to small, frequent meals of easily digestible, gluten-free items like broths, bananas, rice, and plain chicken.
- Rest: Allow your immune system time to calm down.
- Monitor Symptoms: Reach out to a doctor if you experience signs of severe dehydration, uncontrollable vomiting, or high fever.
22 comments:
I hope you feel better soon. Please rest and take care of yourself!
If I were you, I would.be tempted to post the above iinformation on the front door of the Jersey Mike's that you used. While you're at it, send the info along to the headquarters, addressed to the president (I worked in the President's office, and believe me, this works).
I do hope you are recovering. I don't have a gluten allergy that I'm aware of, but my digestive system is always on high alert to keep me posted about what it doesn't like.
Nina
Sounds absolutely horrible. What a cross to bear in life!
Ah, could be worse. I can still have wine and gin!😁
No allergy, autoimmune disease. But you're right, my husband told me to do that too. I don't know, I'll let you know.
Thx. I'm trying
Yikes. Sorry to hear this. I just learned how to make GF blender muffins...quite easy and tasty. Hope you feel better soon.
Jeez, that sounds awful. You're smart not to trust "them". So sorry that happened. I have a coworker with celiac disease. He is the chief cook in his house for good reason. Feel better soon!
And you're not sending the recipes or muffins?! How rude of you, and you call yourself Canadian?!!.🤣🤣🤣
Abby, oh I will. I whined and now life goes on ya know? Just need to vent it. Poor blog readers
That really stinks. I know those places offer GF but they cannot guarantee no cross contamination & the should have told Rick that. Our friends can go there & she doesn't get ill. But everyone has a different level of reaction. I hope you're feeling much better very soon.
Hope you feel better soon. I've only eaten at Jersey Mike's once, and that was enough for me.
Yikes! Poor you.
I would agree. My first and last too!
Ah, it's just a pain in the butt cuz I did this to myself really! This too shall pass, right?
Paula, I thought he knew better but stroke Rick is different. Every store is different as well. One store may have strong protocols in place and some don't. So to be safe I won't eat out often.
Haha. Well-played. Here's the recipe:
Chocolate Blender Muffins
2 ripe bananas
½ c Greek yogurt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅓ c brown sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa + 1/4 cup protein powder
2 cups rolled oats
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin. Add the bananas, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, sugar, cocoa powder, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a blender. Process until well-blended, scraping down the sides as you blend. Add 1/2 the chocolate chips and stir with a spoon or spatula. Portion the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips. Bake for 16-17 minutes until the muffins spring back; don’t overbake.
OMG you sent it!! Like my mother, guilt works!! Ha ha. Going to get myself some gf oats and I'll let you know. Thank you. Was really kidding, you called my bluff!😇
Hope you are feeling better now!
I'm doing much better. Broth and water. YIpee. I think by tuesday or wednesday I should be done with this. But I feel so much better today and that's always a good thing right?
Wow, that sounds truly awful. I hope that you recuperate sooner than 2 weeks, yuck.
I am feeling better every day. I think by middle of next week I'll be back. You can see my knuckles if I make a fist now. The swelling is going down!
Post a Comment