Saturday, May 30, 2026

Sports Night

The area I currently live in had an enormous soccer event. Everyone was in a tizzy to see all these famous international as well as the national players. 

On the local news, they showed all this soccer. I said to Rick that I just can't get into it. He laughed and said, "Why is it that if they're on ice, you like it. Close to the same game, one on ice and one on grass." I laughed because I had never thought of it like that.

We've been watching NHL hockey since our Carolina Hurricanes are going to be in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  While not exactly the same, I got what he was saying. I do believe we will win the Stanley Cup to Canada's dismay.  

I have a friend who asked if I was going to see the Hurricanes play. Oh hell no. We saw what the ticket prices were, and they also mentioned them on TV. I could probably do the nosebleed sections for several hundred instead of thousands, but I have a great seat on my sofa, and I don't have to wear a bra. :-)  (There seems to be a theme to my life, isn't there?)

But when the Carolina Hurricanes are playing at the same time as my Yankees, and both are televised.  I have to go with the boys in pinstripes and no skates.

There was a semi-pro hockey team in my hometown, and before them, I didn't know a lick about hockey. I never even ice-skated. I know, I know!  I lived on a frozen great lake growing up. I used to see all the skaters on the bay. But I had difficulty rollerblading, so I knew this was not my thing. I needed all 4 skates to move forward and backward. I'm clumsy, remember.  I needed the stability of the 4 wheels to skate.

We went to hockey games all the time while growing up in my hometown. We were just a junior hockey team. We competed in the Midwest Division of the Ontario Hockey League.  Now you ask yourself, how the hell does she know this when she was never a fan of hockey before?  I met a hockey player, and we dated for a good while, and I learned fast. This young man had the thickest Canadian accent, and I used to tell him I needed closed captions under his chin sometimes because I couldn't always understand him.  The 'eh' I got. The out, about, and house were typical, but some things he said it was like a foreign language to me.  Yes, it was English, but a different English than I was used to. So he schooled me, and I him.  He learned bad words in Italian from me. Hey, I did not say I was a good influence on this gorgeous young man.  
Okay, gorgeous with his teeth in. 😁

Saturday, I don't get a baseball game televised, and the hockey games are over for now.
What's a girl to do on Saturday night?


9 comments:

DB Stewart said...

Hmm...a thick accent from Ontario? I suspect he omitted something: he was actually from Newfoundland, ha. (Basically Ireland.)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well that's interesting. I was 19/20 yrs old and wasn't smart enough to ask more. Besides I was young and stupid and swooned over how handsome he was...with teeth.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I did not say he was from Ontario. Honestly I don't recall where he said he was from other than the Great White North. It was 50 yrs ago.

Julie H said...

I've never watched a hockey game. For awhile they had a lot of hoopla for a minor team close by and we almost went to one but it never happened. Never hear about them anymore.

bluzdude said...

For me, and a lot of other Americans, the difference between soccer and hockey is physicality and toughness. The "diving" culture in soccer is off-putting. Watching these guys get nudged and then dropping to the ground and writhing like they've been shot is offensive when compared to what happens to hockey players. It's a matter of honor to not lay on the ice, no matter how injured. I've seen guys get hit in the face with pucks, leave a trail of blood on the ice on the way to the locker room, then come back out for the next period.
Former Penguin/current Hurricane Jordan Staal did that very thing many years ago after taking a puck to the nose. After the game he told the press, "I thought my nose was off," like he was the Black Knight from Holy Grail. "Tis but a scratch!" But he still didn't want to let the team down by staying in the locker room.

As for the sports conflict, I'd have to go with the hockey. There are 162 regular season baseball games, versus only a handful of playoff hockey games. Always go with the playoffs, in my book. (Although I acknowledge you're not a hardcore fan of the local team, as opposed to your Yanks, so I understand.)

Blondi Blathers said...

What Canadian accent? You southerners are the ones with the lovely drawl. -Kate

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well, Rick said the same thing. We can dvr your boys. So I think that's what we will probably do

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Kate i so wish I could remember where he was from. It wasn't French Canadian I do know that. If my Uncle hadn't passed I'd call him. He introduced me to him. I don't had that sill drawl because I'm from the north. (On lake erie) But I have caught the y'all bug. 😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Interesting. It's fast pace and except for the fighting I really like it