I wish I were given patience. I had a 1pm Zoom call with my physician.
It's 1:046. No text or email stating running late. Are we still on? How long do I sit here?
I go out of my way to be on time; I wish others felt the same way with time.
It frustrates me so.
I recall when I first met Rick, he asked me something about being on time. I said, Oh, I'm early. I do not like to be late or keep anyone waiting, so I am generally early.
He smiled and nodded. I assumed that was the right answer for him.
Fast forward a year or two, and I now realize that this man must be very early, or to him, he's late. We were going to a movie. I asked what time he wanted to leave.
He gasped. I laughed. I asked if that was the wrong thing to ask? He said, "Oh no, I love it. I would like to leave by 7:35p"
You see it helps me to plan my dressing/hair/makeup, etc.
He was so tickled by this question, he told me about his last girlfriend, with whom he shared an apartment. She was notoriously late. I knew this already because he told me it was a pet peeve. Anyway, he and his gal were going to the movies. He told her we have to leave by 7:00pm. The closer it got to 7p he was pacing. He kept going into the bathroom or bedroom where she was and was attempting to hurry her up. At 7:20p he left without her. He got there in time to see the beginning of the movie. Only missing about 3-4 minutes. No previews or anything.
I asked him how was it when you got home? He said, "Oooh it wasn't pretty."
I bet it wasn't! Oh, I'd be angry too, I told him, if you just left me like that.
He told me that he went into the bathroom at one point and said if we leave now we can make the movie, not previews. She laughed and said 10 more minutes.
He gave her 15 then left.
I see both sides. I would be so angry at him if he did that to me. But then again, I would never be that disrespectful to do that to anyone. Yes, if Rick isn't somewhere at least 10 minutes before he has to be there, he gets all itchy. I appease him.
I asked if she ever did that again. Nope. I can't believe he did it. I would have exploded if I were her, but he gave her lots of opportunities to get it together.
So I have learned over these decades to never be late or heaven forbid get the gas below a 1/4 tank. Oh my goodness, that can make his head explode.
The gas was in the 1/4 tank zone and about to have the light go on. I have another 2 gallons at that point. I was going to get gas, but that is all he would let me say. "You've gotta get gas, you've gotta get gas, Margaret."
I said, "The light has not even come on, calm down mister."
He got all snarky and said, "How many times have you run out of gas?"
"once"
"Wasn't that a lesson? How far did you have to walk to get gas?"
"You're not gonna like my answer to this."
"Try me"
I ran out of gas in my VW Bug. I was all of 22 and coming from work. I was wearing a mini skirt, heels, and a blouse. I was on the side of the road, and I began to get out of my car to walk to the gas station only a few feet ahead. I wasn't thrilled because the gravel and heels are not a good combo.
As soon as I got a leg out of my car door, 2 vehicles pulled over and asked if I wanted help. Yes, both young men. One young man drove to the gas station, filled up the can, put it in my car, and refused money. He asked me out.
I said, "I have a boyfriend, please take the money." He did.
Rick said, "Only a woman gets lucky like that."
Yep, we have to have something good once in a while or an advantage.
So no, I've never had to walk and get gas.
Now today, no one is going to stop and help a white haired ole woman on the side of the road. I'd end up walking and doing it myself.
I now realize I just didn't appreciate being young.
29 comments:
Trying to date someone who is habitually late would be a dealbreaker for me. A dealbreaker.
I'm always on time too, and that means driving the speed limit to get there and not make up time by speeding. I lost a good friend because she was always late. The time I blew up was not even that important. It was just the last time I could take it. She tried to make up over the years, but I knew she would never change, and I would always be irritated, so I let the friendship go. As for leaving somebody, I have never done that, but I could see myself presenting an ultimatum to someone. It is rude to be late. Waiting for a doctor is another of my burn-to-the-boiling-point situation.
One of my favorite things about retirement is that I can always be on time, stress free. When I had a medical appointment midday while I was working, it was difficult to get out of the office so I was always rushing. I am totally on Rick's side, leaving her at that point. And yes, it sure was nice having guys lend a hand all those years - wish I had known it at the time!
Nina
I agree with Rick... if she couldn't be on time, then that was on her. I would have left, too. I HATE waiting for my doctor. The patient portal says to show up 20 minutes early for your appointment, too. Nope. Not sitting in the waiting room for 20 minutes listening to muzak and sitting with a bunch of people coughing and wheezing and farting. LOL
I once had a friend who was ALWAYS late. She would get pissed if people called her out on it, too. One time I asked her to watch my kids so my husband and I could go to a music event. She was a half hour late. Meaning we arrived about five minutes after the event started. When I said something she said, "Well, I am watching your kids for free." Not sure what that had to do with her being rude by showing up late.
Apparently it was for Rick as well. :-)He said that being late was bad enough but she was so cavalier about it all. She would just laugh and I think that bothered him even more.
Oh yeah. For basically waiting. I am not patient. :-)
Me too. Now I understand when my parents would say, "youth was wasted on the young"
In other words be thankful she showed up at all since it was "free" Wow. It was a big priority for her. I hope she is no longer a friend....well she wasn't then either was she?
I'm the same way, never want to have someone waiting for me. I'm usually early for appointments and work shifts. Clearly, not everybody shares this opinion. Did your zoom doc every show?
I never found being on time a difficult thing to do. I really appreciate when appointments run on time however that is not often the case.
I laugh, I never appreciated being young until I hit 70. Now I appreciate every step taken without falling. Oh, I remember the days in the 1960s and 70s, when I got the looks, smiles from young guys. Now? They will open the doors for us, which is always appreciated.
I text her. She said she was w/a client give her 10 minutes. Ok I get that, but why not text me when you see you're running late? I was running around like crazy to be at the computer by 1p.
Ah sad but true. Hell, I wasn't even all that, just young and everything was up where God meant it to be.
Hmm, never the case in my world
I've learned to have some type of mindless activity I can do to pass time if someone is running late....right now a Mah Jong app on my phone is my favorite.
I'm always on time or early. If the doc is running late I take a nap.
You can nap anywhere can't you?
I have a game that I amuse myself with too.
I'm on Rick's side here. I had a gf in Cleveland, back in the 80s... we were both coming home from work and supposed to meet at her house at X-o'clock. It was February and I didn't have a key to her place. She left me sitting in my car for 40 minutes waiting for her. She had stopped off at her mom's to have coffee.
She couldn't understand why I was so upset. I should have broken up with her right then, because that was a big, burning, sign that she didn't respect my (or anyone else's) time. She never changed a bit.
Hunky Husband and I were nearly on the same page on promptness. He was a bit anal. Even when he was approaching end-stage dementia, he wrote appointments in his Day-Timer - with the time at which he needed to leave the house. Unfortunately, Elder Daughter missed the gene. She (now age 66), her husband (age 68), and her daughter (age 43) are chronically late. If they ever made it to anything on time, I would faint from shock. I know that when they text me that they are leaving their house to come to mine, it will be 15 minutes before they actually leave. I love that my iPhone allows me to track them so that I know their actual timing.
Oh that's funny that all of 'em are like that. But I suppose if they weren't they would annoy the shit out of one another.
Boy living in Cleveland in the 80s...me too. You following me?
lol my mom has a story about some guy driving a truck full of bananas trying to give her a ride when her car broke down. Scott and I are on time people too. Since it takes about 20-30 minutes to get to "town" I'm always doing the what time to leave, shower, etc lol
I have to day Rick gave her chances. And it sounds like it changed her behavior, so there is that.
I come from a family with our own time zone. LOL. But I married a guy who, like Rick, thinks if you're not early, you're late. It's easier for me to be on time now that I'm retired, but I still skirt the edge of timeliness way more than he would like.
*I have to SAY*... (fat fingers)
It depends on who got there first! I arrived March of 86 to manage my first record store, and stayed until August of 90, to go manage one in Albany NY, that was near our HQ.
Bananas huh? Yep, I still do the what time I have to leave trick.
Bananas huh? Yep, I still do the what time I have to leave trick.
Yes, he did give her chances. I wouldn't have had the balls to leave
Post a Comment