I had a fun Thursday, how 'bout you?
I had an appointment for a 3D mammogram.
Remember when I said that mammograms don't cause me pain, some discomfort sometimes, but not ever pain.
Well, this sucker was PAINFUL. Wowsa.
After the horrific test from all angles and pain points, they let me go back to the cubicle to sit and wait. If they need another imaging test, they'd let me know. The nice nurse came back and told me they didn't need anymore pics to get dressed, and she'll wait for me.
I did as told, got dressed, and opened the door. There was my little nurse.
She was a very nice woman who, I bet, has seen more breasts in her lifetime than a Playboy photographer.
The nurse leads me to a room. She opened the door, and it was very dark inside. The doctor stands up, introduces himself, and shakes my hand. The radiologist is a nice, calm man. A very calming face.
He puts up all my boob pics and begins to show and talk to me.
He explains everything I read on Dr. Google. 😊
In the meantime, my nurse is rubbing my forearm as if comforting me.
It was odd.
I'm thinking if it's good news, she wouldn't be doing this; they don't comfort you when you win the 800 million lottery. So this must be bad news.
I listen. I nod. I know this stuff.
My favorite line he said, and I quote, "mildly concerning that this could be malignant."
Mildly?
At one point, the room was so heavy, and I so wanted to blurt out, please stop rubbing my arm. But she was being kind, and I sure can't fault her for that. We need more kindness. I'm just a bitch. 😛
But I had to pick up the room from this dark cloud, so I said to the doctor,
"While you're in there, could you put it in it's orignial upright position that God intended?"
That broke the tension. Whew. The doctor laughed, but while the nurse laughed, she kept rubbing my arm. Is she nervous? Or just nervous for me?
The only time a medical professional has done that with me was when we weren't sure if Rick was going to live or die after the stroke. So this is in no way comforting, but they don't know that, so onward we go.
Needless to say, a biopsy is next.
Someone is to call me today, Friday. Due to the upcoming storm, they said things are being moved around, so you may not hear from them, but no later than Monday.
So there ya have it.
I believe it is nothing.
I refuse to believe it's something because I've had enough. More than enough." They" couldn't possibly dump more on me!" (famous last words)
In the meantime, we are expected to receive a bad ice storm. Thankfully, no snow. But they expect our power to be out for days. Really, you know this already? What are you doing to prevent this? Is there anything that can be done? The governor was on tv all afternoon scaring the shit out of the NC residents.
Having lived where the lines were underground, I have not had to deal with this. So my entire house is electric. So no food, heat, or toilets for days? OMG. We have filled up buckets (big Home Depot buckets) of water for the toilet so we can use them should we lose electricity. Rick also wanted to fill the one bathtub with water too. I thought that was overkill, but I'm letting him, he may be correct. No harm if not needed.
We have food, warm blankets, candles, batteries, battery-controlled lamps/light bulbs, flashlights, handwarmers, feet warmers, etc.
I know this is bad all over the Midwest, the Northeast, and the South. Be safe and stay warm!
I think snow up north is far easier!!!!!!!!
33 comments:
Good luck with the storm -- I hope you don't lose power. And good luck with the biopsy -- I hope it all turns out well.
I'll be having chats with the Universe for you...Ah, the ice storms - as you know up here they are horrendous. I've got the permanently lumpy ankle to prove. Nice thing about losing power when you live in an apartment building - emergency generator - keeps one elevator running and the emergency lights on but also power in the lobby - can charge phones/tablets there - which we've done in the past.
Ugh, no one needs to hear there's something weird on the mammogram. Sending you hugs.
Did you know there are rechargeable heated BLANKETS?? I did not know this. I have one that plugs into the socket in the car, and it's great when we travel and Mr. I'm an Outdoor Dog has to have his fuckin' window cracked even when it's 2 degrees out. I am going to order a rechargeable blanket next payday.
Hope you don't lose power and that you get a timely appointment and answers.
🤞im not optimistic about this power but, here we go....
Thank you Grace. I think we have to invest in a generator. I need a go fund me page. Lol. Stay warm up there
Cool blanket idea!! My dog was the same way. Rick said between the dog and my hot flashes he was never going to be warm again.
We've had winter power outages that lasted an entire day, and burning candles did provide enough heat for comfort while the sun shone. We also have a generator but it isnt always reliable if it hasnt been operated for a long time. I hope it works if we need it. This morning it was 38-below at 9a.m. and I dont think it's warmed up any. At least when it's this cold it doesnt snow or storm. Keep toasty, Peg. As impossible as it may be not to worry about that biopsy-- I've been there and am recovering from a lumpectomy and radiation at the moment -- thats easier said than done. Here's hoping all comes out exactly as you wish. -Kate
So when they read the 3D mammogram results, do they have to wear special glasses? I can just see it:
"Wow, it's like they're coming right at me!"
We're waiting out our storm as well. We're supposed to get snow, then freezing rain, which is better than the other way around. We ready.
So sorry you have to go through this!
Until you get the official word, I am going with it's nothing. I admit I am praying for you. I hope the ice storm doesn't knock out the power. We've had our share over the years & thankfully only lost power for a day or two.
Some time ago after a longish power outage, I put the phone numbers to all the hotels at a local shopping center. If the power goes out, I want to be the first to call to reserve a room (surely they have generators?!?) My mantra after many questionable mammograms is don't worry about it until if/when it is an actual diagnosis. I have had every kind of biopsy known to man and ultimately: no cancer. Not that I am complaining about that!
Nina
Winter weather is easier in the North because it happens on a regular basis. Fingers crossed that the biopsy returns no issues.
I'd probably snatch my arm away from the rubbing :/ GD it I don't like that news for you :( One of the reasons we never move is because it doesn't snow here. No thank you!
Its original upright position - omg you crack me up! Of course, I hope it's nothing, as you say.
We're freezing here. It's what we do most January's
My husband is 'Mr I'm an Outdoor Dog'. That's what he says when I complain. LOL
Kate, plz say you are in Canada or the north pole. Negative 38??? I've never experienced that kind of cold. I don't think i wish to either. I am glad you are doing well. I just have a feeling im gonna be fine. Stay warm!!
Oh Tony that made me laugh out loud. I read it to Rick who howled. He wanted me to tell you "good one!"
Thx Jean. ❤️
Here's to power and heat!
Well that was smart. But if our roads are a sheet of thick ice. im too chicken shit to drive to get to the hotel.🙂
Im certain im gonna be fine. As for winter, im ready for spring
I am too normally. It can be -10 and I'll be bundled under the covers but I need the fan on and a leg out.
😁 (whining) I don't want winter or to freeze in January, or February. Winter with out this ice storm is good enough
Oh I get the not moving. We moved here cuz it had barely winter. HAHA Before global warming.
I didn't know they buried cables in the north. It never occurred to me. Duh. Wish we could/would/had done that. We had that awful heat shield that hung over us forever last year. It was so awful. I hope this storm doesn't stay long. I guess, since there is no "climate" problem, being a roaming powerline agent might be the next great career since the "no climate problem" will not improve in the future, and more hot and cold episodes will keep the country in roving blackouts.
Fingers crossed for you. Also hoping that kind nurse gets a workshop on boundaries?
Barbara, I think we had them in the stea we lived because it was so new. We were 12mi from DC. But DC and other Va suburbs did not all have lines underground. I saw where the demented in charge said it's the coldest in x amount of year. See? There is no global warning. Omg! This is why books should not be banned and why education is important and why he and crooked cronies don't want us educated.
DB, I bet she was taught to 'comfort' like that. I did not get comfort. I felt like they were bracing me for far worse news. They may wish to hold off on comforting until the patient falls apart perhaps. I took the news well enough I'd 🙂say. Im gonna be just fine. I'm too mean to die ya know
You showed phenomenal restraint with Nurse Touchy-Feely. Every woman dreads this kind of news (and touching without permission.) I hope they can get you scheduled quickly and great news comes forward fast for you. I love your writing and can't bear that another challenging reality hits you now.
Only because I thought she was doing what she thought was a nice gesture. Thanks for the compliment. I too can't bear that another challenge could be on the horizon. But I am in denial mode and believe all things will be just fine!!
I'll vote for having your denial turn into fact - shortly!
P.S. I think you showed great restraint with the rubbing nurse. I have learned to accept hugs, but I don't want anyone rubbing on me, anywhere! (My husband thought I was crazy. He loved being massaged.)
Cop, like your husband I love massages and the like. I do no like to hug people until I know them. We are the opposite.
Post a Comment