Wednesday, October 22, 2025

Hungry!


I hate this meme because it is too damn true for me.  
Today, Wednesday,  I had to have blood work done at LabCorp.
I had a 3pm appointment.

I ate an egg salad sandwich at 4pm on Tuesday.  I never ate anything else.
I made Rick dinner, and I just wasn't that hungry.  
I woke up starving, and I walked down the hall thinking of scrambled eggs.
Then I remembered I was told not to eat or drink coffee. 
Fasting for 12 hours was required.
I should have stuffed myself the night before. I wasn't thinking, darn it.

At 10am on Wednesday, I could eat my arm off.  So I kept looking at the clock. Dear Lord, I wanted some caffeine.  Rick made himself some waffles. I don't even care about waffles, but the smell was intoxicating when you haven't eaten in 15 hours and all you had the day before was an egg salad sandwich.   

Finally, I grabbed my purse and said, 'I'm going to see if they take walk-ins.'
I arrived to see a full waiting room.  I told the receptionist that I had a 3pm appointment, but was hoping, as a walk-in, I could get in sooner. 
She took my info and said, Okay, have a seat. Then she called me back up.
No record of my lab request.  I gave my ID etc. In the meantime, she told me to check in at the kiosk.  

The kiosk told me I couldn't check in.  So back to the counter.
She was really struggling to find me.  Aaah, it's under Peggy.  All medical insurance and all important papers are in my full legal name, Margaret. She asked for my birthdate and then asked if I was related to a Peggy H.  Why, yes, that is me.  So I had to explain that my doctor, whose name is also Margaret, prefers to call me Peggy, so I go with it. I'm called both.  Everyone seems to have a preference, and I don't care one way or the other now that I am an adult. (well, sort of) 
She found me and changed it for insurance reasons, so next time I'll have no issues.

Then I was told to take a seat.
There was 1 seat left. I sat down, and it's now 11:45a.  
I got there at 11am.  A woman came to the lobby and announced that they would be going to lunch at noon.  All appointments will be finished, and those who are walk-ins, if you were not called, please come back at 1pm.  

I just felt defeated, I don't wanna go home was what I was whining in my head. 
I want coffee, damn it!!!
Immediately after I whined to myself, I was called. Whew.

I came home and made a big ole cup of coffee. I then heated up 2 meatballs from the other day. I wolfed them down. Then I sat with my coffee, and all was good with the world. For a few minutes anyway.

19 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, that meme made me laugh so hard! Doctors appointments are the story of my life these days too, LOL

Kathy G said...

The older I get the worse I get at fasting.

bluzdude said...

I always pig out at zero hour, before a required fast. Otherwise, I'd probably faint before the appointment.

DB Stewart said...

Which reminds me...why is it called fasting? It should be another f word and I don't mean famine (although that's better too).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm sorry!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

obviously me too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

12 hrs was 3 a.m. - because I thought of that. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

That is a good question!

Barbara said...

I love that meme. So true. I feel you on the fasting blood tests. Luckily, because I get up late, afternoon appointments aren't so hard on me except for coffee. No one should have to face a packed waiting room without their morning coffee.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I love that meme. It speaks the truth.

I never eat breakfast and often not lunch either. So fasting is not a problem for me except they always try to schedule for first thing in the morning, before I even normally get out of bed.

Mr. Shife said...

Glad you survived the LabCorp labyrinth, and may future appointments be named after whichever version of you is currently caffeinated. Enjoy those victory meatballs and java!

Cop Car said...

If you are asked to "fast", please ask that "fast" be defined. When I go in for blood work, I am told it is OK to take my early morning medications - with water or coffee (which I do not drink). Your mileage may vary, but it might be worth asking for clarification, if you have not already done so.

Mike said...

The meme is me and Claudia. Although Claudia has OTs and PTs coming to the house right now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Agreed!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I prefer 1st thing in the morning!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

🤣 Thx!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I did ask because my appt was at 3p. Sadly only water

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Coming to the house is sure helpful I would think.

Abby said...

Came by to get caught up, glad you got in before the lunch break!
I'm usually okay with fasting if my appointment is early morning - so most of the fast is sleeping. But 3pm?!