Thursday, October 9, 2025

Best Advice

 It's been a week since my last confession.

HA. That is from my Catholic upbringing, and I can assure you, if you didn't get that line, you are lucky because you didn't have 12 years of catechism.

Rick and I were enjoying the evening on the patio when the discussion of the best advice ever given came up.  I asked Rick what the best advice anyone had given him was.  He immediately said his father gave him 2 - 
*When hired, do more than what they're paying you for.
*Always use the best tools you can afford.  

He laughed and asked if my dad had given me any advice. He laughed like crazy after he asked this, knowing full well there would be no good advice from my father. Nope, not my dad.  I had to really think about this. 

I couldn't think of any mentor, boss, friend, acquaintance, etc. Then I remembered my mom telling me something before she died. 
I smiled and Rick said, "Think of something?"  
Yes, but I'm not sure you could call it advice.

I reminded him of me telling him that when my mom was dying, I was home alone with her. She was bedridden at the time. I was sitting on her bed with her. I was 13. I remember the smell of the room, her skin, and how I felt. 
It is so vivid. If only I could remember where my keys and phone are like I remember this day.

On this day, my mom told me all she wanted to tell me before she left this world. It was a lot, and I cried through most of it, but I remember every single thing she said.

This one thing to me is like advice.
My mom was holding my hand and told me to always respect my father, but when he tells you that you can't do something because you're a girl, don't listen to him.  I want you to believe in here (as she hit her chest) that you can do anything you want to do. So don't talk back to him, but always remember he is wrong on this topic.  You can be anything, Peggy, remember that. She said it 3x while rubbing my hand. She asked me if I understood, and I said I did. 

Now that is no big deal to most. But if you knew my father, it is a huge deal.
You see, to him, I had the lovely choices of being a nun, a secretary, a nurse, or a teacher. Then I was to get married and have babies and not work outside the home. Cater to a man.  He actually told me once that I would find great fulfillment in taking care of a man. HA, fulfillment.
Oh, that is so not Peg.

Rick asked if I thought that was really advice?  
Yep, I do.  As a teen, when Dad would say my head was in the clouds or that this wasn't for girls. I would prove him wrong. I never disrespected him, but if I could find a workaround, I would show him I could do this. I had to walk a fine line. So yes, I do think that advice has served me well. I won't let anyone tell me what I can and can't do. I am not fighting authority per se, but as soon as you tell me it's not for a woman, I'll show you you're wrong. Until I was 41, I was always respectful of my father.  I never said anything I wanted to say.  I kept it inside. If you did try to talk to him about this stuff, he would shut down, so I just let it go. 

At 41, my father told me I was a disappointment. We (Rick and I) were celebrating a big success I had with my career. Rick was so proud of me. My personal cheerleader.  My father belittled him and said, "so now she wears the  pants in the family?"  
Rick just laughed.  Then my father said, "if she's making that kind of money, then you are the henpecked-something or another  - I don't recall his bullshit. I do recall the word henpecked though.
Rick said, "George I don't care how the money gets in the house, just so it gets in the house. I am damn proud of her; she's worked her butt off for this, and you, too, should be proud of her. I'm her cheerleader and you should be too."
He huffed.

Later, when my stepmom and Rick were on the patio, my father said to me that I wasn't really a woman because I didn't have children, and I put my career ahead of children and my marriage.  I lost it on him!  I started by telling him I didn't wish to be disrespectful, but he was being disrespectful to me. Then off I went.  Never was this discussed again.

But the whole time he was telling me this garbage, I kept hearing my mom in my head telling me, Don't listen to him, you can be whatever you want to be, Peggy.  I may have lost one cheerleader, but I got another one, thank goodness.

What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?



13 comments:

Cop Car said...

Yay, Rick! I'm sorry that your father was not supportive, and happy that you received such good advice from your mother. Yah, Mom!
My best advice did not come to me as advice, but as input which had the same effect. In looking for a job after spending spending about 8 years as a stay-at-home (not by choice) mom, I was told by a guy who interviewed me that I had 3 strikes against me: 1) My undergraduate degree had been awarded 8 years previously, 2) I had no experience as an engineer, and 3) I was female. Because of him, I soon had an MS in Engineering Mechanics which opened so many doors for me (along with the change in federal laws that came out in 1976 - just two years after the MSEM.
Similarly to your stated feelings, the easiest way to get me to do something was to tell me that I was could not do it - that I was not capable.

bluzdude said...

I've had some great advice over the years:
1) Dad: Don't waste an opportunity.
2) Boss: Start where you want to end up. (Meaning, when determining if something you want to do is feasible, start with the premise that you're going to do it, then work out what has to be done to get there.)
3) Dad again: The best response to a practical joke is to turn it around on the joker and make it look like it worked too well.

Note: I'm happy you're holding up so well amid this October of Great Disappointment. Maybe Canada Should win the World Series this year.

Abby said...

Wow, I thought my dad was misogynistic, but your dad blows him out of the water! Good advice from Mom, clearly it was important for her to tell you that before she died.
My mom basically gave me the same advice, but in little bits over the years.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

How i love your Dad. Yes, im rooting for the Jay's. If they win they won't have to go to the White House. So here's to Toronto winning😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah, I wish she could have given me it all in little bits over the years. And yes my dad had 5 daughters and didnt understand us to say the least.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cop, you are impressive! Sadly things haven't improved a great deal since 60s/70s

Barbara said...

I love what your Mom said and knowing your father - and you - she was absolutely right. He would never weaken the rigid beliefs of what you needed to be (his variety) of happy and you would never not fulfill the challenges that drove you. Those words of your Mom's were the perfect advice to guide you in the years ahead.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara she did not wish to go anymore than I did. She was packing it all in you know? She was only 44. I was stuck on her like glue for 13 years. Then I was on my own. But she taught me a lot in those 13 years. :-)
I didn't have kids but if I did I'd be just like my mom. So instead I am a terrific Aunt. :-)

DB Stewart said...

Thank you for sharing this. I suspect it will help many people (as it does me).
Advice? Hmm...the first thing that came to mind was something I saw Robin Williams say in response to this question: "never eat Mexican food and stand beside a flame" lol.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well that is good advice🤣

Paula C said...

Best advice? Don't depend on anyone but yourself. Never just take someone else's opinion as fact, do your own research. Both have served me well.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Boy I understand this. Why was that generation so tough and rigid? But, we survived and thrived. I wanted to be in radio and my father said girls can't. Guidance counselor told me women drone, no one would listen! Crazy right? I survived😆

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oooh, great ones Paula!!!