Wednesday, October 29, 2025

False Alarm

My eye appointments are in Durham, NC, at the Duke Eye Center.
I live in Garner, NC. That is 32 miles away.

My appointment was at 9:45am.
It was pouring rain so we decided to give ourselves plenty of time and leave at 8:45.  An hour to get there.  We thought if we got there early, we would just stop at the coffee shop in the lobby.

The rain wreaked havoc on the city.  Honestly, I don't know that I will ever get used to this.  It's only rain people! 
But there we were on I-40 just sitting.  Then we saw ambulances trying to get through. We were at a complete standstill.

Firetrucks, police, and ambulances.  This meant a bad accident up ahead, or at least we thought so.
We sat in the traffic so long that I was convinced we were not going to make it.  And we didn't.

We finally began to move at 9:30am. I called the doctor's office at Duke.  I told them we were at least 30 minutes away.  Can I still come in?  Nope.  So they rescheduled me for next Monday.  Great, let's hope it's a sunny day.

I don't understand why I couldn't come in.  They always make me wait. They always are at least 30 minutes behind, so I thought I'd just let them know I was running late and they would be okay. But apparently not how it works.

It could be worse. I could have been in that accident, and I hope all are well.

So instead of healing today, I am cleaning bathrooms and making chili.
Oh yeah, I think that is better, she says with dripping sarcasm. 

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Dang. I hate that for you but at least you could get back in without a 3 month wait. And I agree, if they are always running late what difference would it have made. Idiots.

Abby said...

What a pain. Maybe others with the appointments got caught in the traffic jam and totally botched the schedule?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It also took forever to turn around. Such fun. Yes, I thought id have to wait months too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yes, a pain in something other than my eye🙂

DB Stewart said...

This is why deep breathing only works for so long.

Kathy G said...

I think it's better to know in advance that they wouldn't see you than to be turned away after you got there.

Julie H said...

I just went to darts. Thought it was Thursday allll day but it's only Wednesday haha. Guess I'll do that tomorrow night now.

Cruisin Paul said...

You should have said that You are a freind of Trump and maybe then they would say just come in.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nope, never gonna work here.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

We even watched the traffic before we left. No accidents!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Julie that's funny. We've done that!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Good point

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh yes!!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Some of those traffic apps are no good. We used Waze during a trip, and it took us waaaay out of the way, for really no good reason.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ive tried them as well. We both have. We don't feel they help that much more than the traffic app from my local TV station.