For some reason, the song by Delbert McClinton that says, "I used to worry 'bout being rich and skinny, til I wound up poor and fat," This song played in my head as I pretended I was still 35 and making $$$$ and was not chubby. Ah, but I wound up poor and fat and OLDER than my mental capacity can grasp.
Look, I know my chronological age. But honestly, I feel like I'm still 35.
Then, of course, my age hits me in the face. HARD.
This week I got glasses. Not readers, glasses. WTH?
This week I got hearing aids. What is happening?
Why does a 35-year-old need either of these?
My ENT doctor said my ears looked great. Big deal, they look great.
But they aren't great. Rick said," But you have cute little ears."
Oh, please, they are not cooperating. Cute means nothing, buddy.
Because my hearing loss is moderate, he suggested that over-the-counter would be fine for me. He and the audiologist felt that I didn't need the ones he sells just yet. He said I should have my ears checked in 2 years. He gave me 2 companies over the counter that he recommends.
I also checked BBB and Consumer Reports, and both of the companies he recommended were the top 2 on both lists. So I am getting an over-the-counter type, which is far easier to buy than the big deal ones, money-wise.
Glasses and hearing aids. All in one week. Talk about my age hitting me in the face. I am going to go back to being delusional.
Next, it will be antidepressants.
26 comments:
Antidepressants only come when you're in your dementia years and you are far from that. You may have gotten hearing aids and glasses in the same week but I'll bet you needed one or the other for a long time but didn't want to admit it, so getting them together was a choice. Nothing makes a person look and act older than their age than not hearing well so one way you can look at it is that you're shaving years off the way other perceive you by getting aids.
Some of us were on the antidepressants years ago. Then came glasses. Now it's the hearing aids. Oh, and I've lost my sense of smell.
Jean, 🤣🤣. I don't recommend having your eyes checked in the same week as your ENT visit.
I've had glasses since I was 15 so nothing exciting there lol. Glad you'll be able to hear though!
I'm still hanging on to my contacts, but when I'm sewing or embroidering I wear my readers in addition! My hearing is ok, although I haven't had it checked in 6 or 7 years, so I probably should. For me, it's the hip and knee pain. I am going to physical therapy for the knee, which has been bothering me for about 6 months or so. I am beginning to feel it, and I really don't want to!
I'm so much in denial I didn't even know there were over-the-counter hearing aids.
Next up...contacts!! I'll wear readers.
Liz, that smell thing is a big symptom of other things. What's your Dr say about it?
We shall see after they arrive. Last night while watching TV I knew he did not say the word c--t. I laughed and asked Rick what he said. I told him what i heard and Rick said mine was funnier. I even had on cc. My deafness can be humorous at times
Well, online. Now you know when you get older. You're welcome😁
I can barely remember having normal vision. Wore contacts for decades, but eventually went back to glasses (which turned into no-line bifocals).
Reality checks can be rough alright, LOL.
Kathy, yep, that's what I got. I'm thankful I can see with "betty" that dam mass on my retina but I still would prefer contacts.
I won't mind after the antidepressant step.😁
Despite the shock (relatable), you're doing it right! Scientists have linked hearing loss to dementia, so I say turn them up and punch old age in the neck.
Which hearing aids did he recommend? I have a friend in need. Me, I'm already on the hard stuff and there's no getting better.
For me it was going on cholesterol and BP medications. I was like, "Gah! I'm OLD!"
I feel young but my body tells me , you idiot , you're old, very old. I ue to bowl, play golf and many things but I today have walk with a walker without it I fall plat on my face. I look at my Camero and when I use to zoom, zoom but today just look at zoom , zoom. Oh God, I want my youth back.
Cruisin Paul
if only that were the only way I could get dementia! But I'm gonna let y'all know once I receive them!
Jabra or Ambien. I'll probably go cheap and do Ambien first. I wish insurance paid for this., but who knows how long I'll have that with you know who.
Ah Tony, that'll do it too. Rick eats cheese while looking for the bacon and his cholesterol is naturally 162. Not fair.
Me too Paul. I want my 25 yr old body and my 25 yr old face and my income at 41 all while retired. Gee is that too much to ask for?
Been wearing eyeglasses since 1950 - they are part of my face, not my age. Started wearing hearing aids after a bout with COVID-19 in Jan 2023 (weird aural effects in right ear started 2 days after other symptoms of COVID-19 surfaced) that left me with really strange hearing in right ear and reduced hearing in left). Hearing aids have not yet become a part of my head.
I like Peg's advice about timing healthcare visits strategically.
Please email me the name of the two hearing aid companies. My ENT is trying to talk me into them also.
Mike, done!
I have worn glasses since I was 19 so that shouldn't make you feel old. As for hearing, thank goodness there's aids to help. I know I have issues with hearing but not needing hearing aids yet. Please give a review since I am sure at some point I will need them.
Post a Comment