You have all heard me moan about not having a talent. Everyone around me has so many, and I just want one damn it.
Kathy over at The Second Half of My Life made poker chip sacks to store her husband's poker chips. She had a really clever idea. I am envious of people with talent of any kind. Being short sewing would sure come in handy and save me money at the tailor.
I can't sew. God knows I have tried. I enjoy knitting, but I'm not great.
Everything I have tried, just makes me realize I'm not really good at anything.
My high school boyfriend/1st husband was an athlete. I am so not.
He wanted me to jog with him in the mornings. Back in the day when there were no sports bras. He would wrap me with an ace bandage so I'd run with him. God, I hated it, but I did it. I was young and stupid.
Then he wanted me to learn tennis so I could play with him. Apparently his racket was da bomb and I just didn't get it. So I tried. Oh how I tried. He got angry at me and said I wasn't trying hard enough, no one is this bad.
Yes, there is, me.
He gave up in utter disgust. But that had nothing on golfing.
He was in a bowling league. I lived in a town of Beer, bowling, and bingo.
I don't enjoy any of those 3. My ex even bought me my own bowling ball with my name engraved so I could go bowling all the time with him.
Oh he had many a 300 game. His name in the paper etc. I couldn't get past a 110. Usually less. I was great at the scorekeeper and they didn't have electric ones at the time.
He also liked to golf. Again, I tried. "Put your arms closer to your body," he'd yell. Okay, but you'll see that my boobs get in the way then. He laughed when he saw that it was what happened, and he just threw his hands in the air and said, "Okay, I give up." Whew. I told him I could get a breast reduction, and he said, "No, you don't need to golf." HA
He taught me how to water ski. I was pretty good at that. But the only reason was that I hated being bitten by fish, and I didn't want to be in the water.
Yes, you heard me bitten by fish. More on that later.
He was a good baseball player. Never made the majors, only the minors.
Thank God he never asked me to throw a ball. I am certain he knew better.
Then I met Rick. He can build anything. (before stroke) He can make things out of nothing. He can do everything but plumbing. Before he went into the white collar world, he was an electrician in the 70s. So he can do that too. So I have this man who can do anything he tries and does it well.
I want to feel that, just once.
I'm very good at being clumsy. I am very good at reading.
Woo-hoo, great skills, right?
I am not an athlete, and even if I were, I couldn't do most things with this chest. And speaking of chests - Simone Biles.
I love Simone Biles. Everyone asks her if she is going to retire.
I know the answer is yes. How do I know? She just bought herself a new pair of Boobs. If she doesn't retire, I am certain it will be an adjustment for balance and the way she throws her body. So, to me, after seeing her, and she looks great, I believe she is retiring. She's done it all and is the GOAT, so whatever makes her happy!
Now, back to water skiing. Everyone was amazed at how fast I got this and how well I did. I didn't blame them, knowing how pathetic I am at most things. But again, I didn't want to fall into the water, so being above it was all I needed to do, and it worked.
The first husband would get so mad at me and yell, "Nothing is biting you for God's sake, Margaret."
I gave up trying to explain.
Fast forward to Rick in the water with me.
I'm telling him how those little fish bite me.
He laughed and said, Fish don't bite, Margaret. He was laughing at me big time. I wasn't going to argue because no one believes me.
Years ago, when we were at our lake house, we went for a boat ride one afternoon.
We anchored the boat in a cove and jumped out and put some lawn chairs on the sand. After a bit, we were both warm and went into the water. I was only waist-deep.
Rick saw a fish come up to me and break skin - a sunfish! I jumped and yelped, and he said, "OMG, I saw that. It drew blood."
"No shit, Sherlock," I yell as I am leaving the water to go back to my chair on land.
He sits down next to me and looks at the mark.
He saw the blood. The bite isn't big, but it will always break skin.
He just kept saying, "I can't believe this. Those sunfish will always make bubbles around the hair on my legs, but I didn't know they could bite".
"Now, do you believe me?"
"Yes, I do, and I'm sorry I made fun of you before. I told you that you were sweet meat"
Oh brother.
I told him he needed to call my ex and tell him for me.
Now he understood why I could ski so well. Rick couldn't ski for shit.
I finally could do something he couldn't. It was a nice feeling for a change.
I was offered a job as a stager right before we were leaving N.VA. It's something I would have LOVED to do. She was sent to our home by the realtor to stage and change anything that needed to be changed.
She walked through the house with me and said, "I wouldn't change a thing." She asked if I had a designer. Nope, I did this.
We went back downstairs and asked if I had ever taken design or staging classes. No, I just enjoy that type of thing.
"Would you like a job?"
I said, "My God, I'd love to do that, but I'm leaving the area."
She then said, "If you decide to stay here or come back, please call me. Youre very good"
She made my day, month, and year. So maybe I could have gotten good at that, who knows?
I was great at my corporate job. I know that, and I was paid well for it.
But it's not a talent. I'd prefer to sing, but that's hopeless except in my car, sitting in traffic.
One of these days I'll find one, but time is running out.
What is your talent?
17 comments:
I'm absolutely useless at sports too, so I know how you feel. I bowled a 110 once -- it was my best game of all time! Other than that, I was the Gutter Ball Queen.
Probably telling stories. I studied under my Grandpa, who could have killed on the Catskill circuit as a storyteller.
As an athlete, I was a decent all-around sandlot player... good enough to have some big moments and not to be an embarrassment, but not so good that I would dominate a team. Granted that was all back in my teens and twenties. And maybe playing pickup hockey in my thirties. OK... shooting a puck with elevation... that's something I could do while many of my teammates could not. But most of them could skate much better than me, so there I am, back to average.
Debra, my bowling twin! The only time I enjoyed it was moonlight bowling. You know after midnight, lights out and everyone was buzzed. Hey it was the 70s.
Tony, you are correct in your story telling! As for only average, to me average is better than sucking. π
Thanks for the shout out, but I'm sad you feel talentless. After reading here for a while I suspect you're a queen of snappy comebacks, which is something I cannot do.
Kathy, I don't think being a smart ass is a talent. π Just ask Rick. lol. But thx
I know exactly how you feel about this. I'm no good at sports or singing. I really intended to be a Rock Star, but I didn't get the required gene. I do have my garden, and any plant that is determined to live gives me a sense of accomplishment. I do have my crafts and I am good-enough at some but not great at any. I am still searching for that one thing I am great at. So, yes, I do know how you feel.
Barbara, im sorry. Its a club that neither of us wish to belong.π
You're a great story teller & writer you can add that for your talent. I'm a little good at a lot of things that don't have to be perfect. I tried water skiing once and I was horrible at it.
Thx Julie but I'm not good enough for it to be a talent to me. Did you get up on the skis? What made you horrible?
I'm sure you were talented at your job, even if I don't know what it was before the contracting biz. You strike me as someone who pays attention and likes things done correctly.
I've had natural athletic abilities in some areas - small boobs help in that regardπ. But I never got the knack of gymnastics. And I'm a math nerd.
Biting fish?!?
Abby, I was a cheerleader with these sweater puppies and I would wrap them with an ace bandage. Crazy huh? I am horrific at math and yes they bite me! As for being anal retentive , it helped me in my job. It was Customer Relationship Sales. I was a senior sale executive in Travel Industry software and contract negotiator. How's that for a mouth full? I like it because it wasn't sales like wham bam thank you ma'am. I may have to write about this. thanks for the idea. No one in my own family understood what I did.
You do have talents, even if they aren’t wrapped in a bow with a label. You have a knack for storytelling and self-deprecating honesty that makes people feel known and seen. You have an eye for design—so good, professionals tried to hire you on the spot! You clearly excelled in your corporate life, and anyone who loves reading as much as you do knows that’s a superpower all its own.
You, dear blogger, can tell a damn good story. Your talent is entertainment.
A check is in the mail ! I may have to hire you for PR. That was nice of you.
DB, wow coming from you that is a big compliment. You and Mr. Shife I must send you both money! Thx for the compliment. My husband said I should have been a stand up comic. I could never do that but I get it.
Only once for a sec. The ski's kept flipping up behind me (with my feet attached lol).
Post a Comment