Monday, October 14, 2024

Rental Car

We picked up our rental car on Friday. 
Rick was very tired from the gym and he asked that I drive.

The car rental gal brought us to the car, showed us how to turn it on, etc.
It is a hybrid.  We are leaving it on gas.  But she said, as you can hear, it is silent, but it's on.  Okay, I got that.  My first thought was - geez this is huge. 

Now to get in this car. The running board was at my knees.  I grabbed the steering wheel to help hoist me up. Honestly, they make these cars for Amazon people.
It is a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I used to have one and I loved it. 
This car not so much.

I drove home with my tippy toes. Once I got Rick inside and fed I went back to the car.  I attempted to move the seat to reach the pedals, which was rather important.  
I had to drop the steering wheel to see over the dash and not through the steering wheel.  I finally got the seat, the mirrors, the steering wheel, etc all where I needed it to be to drive. I hit #1 to save it.  This will allow Rick to be number 2 so he doesn't have to spend all this time changing my settings. Besides, Rick can't get his leg in the car with the seat that far up so there is that bit of fun.

But it's a rather jerky car until you get the feel of it. The way it 'kicks' into the mode to drive is jerky. I have driven it enough now to know what to do. However, Rick has only driven it once and he hates this vehicle.

So while looking for a new car, Jeep was on our list, and will not be now.
It's too high for one. We need something that can adapt to both of us. 

Speaking of high - The rental car company picked us up to get the car.
They picked us up in a Dodge Ram truck.  That running board was at my mid-thighs. I tried to get my foot up there and would laugh. 
Not as flexible as I once was. I attempted this 3x and if there had been something for me to grab in that back seat I could have done it. But there wasn't. I was flailing.  We both were laughing in our driveway. This was not helping my pain and yet I couldn't stop laughing because this was crazy!!
Thank God Rick did not have his phone on him or this would have been on America's Funniest Videos.

The driver apologized and told me they don't usually use this vehicle for that reason but it's all they had today.  Finally, I told Rick to just push/shove my ass in the back seat, please.  He grabbed my ass and pushed me into the back seat on my belly.  How adult of me. But, he got me in there. 
Then it was quite the jump down to leave this truck. 
I was quite the feminine site. My mother was rolling over in her grave.

But to add awkwardness we couldn't figure out anything inside the car and we couldn't stop laughing at how dumb we were. We got it so I could drive us home and then we thought we'd deal with it all at home.

A long time ago there was a commercial for Travelocity or one of those types of sites. This young woman was attempting to make a hotel reservation for her parents.
They were in a hotel and slid off the "chairs" that were concrete and they couldn't figure out how to turn on the shower etc. Everything was difficult for them.
That's what Rick and I felt like right at that moment.

Our car is so old we use a key to start it. This had a push button.
And we are so used to a stick to put it into drive, park etc. 
But this has a button for your P R N D.
I kept reaching for a stick. 
We were given a key fob but aside from opening the back hatch and locking the doors, I wasn't sure of its overall purpose because I could still do both of the things I mentioned without it. 

So thinking I had a handle on this car I didn't see the need to bring the fob. 
I went out to the car to pick up Rick. But the car won't start unless the key fob is in range. Okay, that would have been a good thing to be told.

I go back into the house to get the fob that I brought inside. 
But where did it go? I know I put it with my keys on the corner of the island.
I tore apart the house!! Rick is waiting for me and I can't leave the house.
Okay, retrace your steps one more time Margaret. 

I retrace. I even went into rooms I was never in to look for the fob, but it wasn't to be found.  Now my back is rearing its head and so I lean over the kitchen island for a reprieve of pain and I see Rick's shoes that he never puts away sitting at the end of the island. I look down and see something shiny.  I bent down and looked in his shoe and eureka! 
The fob had fallen into his shoe.

I hightailed it out of there to get Rick. He asked what took me so long. 
I told him. He laughed and said." you didn't know you needed that to start the car?
Oh Margaret, good thing you're cute."

HAHA, funny boy. 

Now we know we won't be buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Well unless that is if I grow about 6 - 8 inches taller real quick!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Peg. It’s obviously been a long time since last you drove a rental. In case no one told you, if you know the right incantation, you can extract a metal “key” from the fob. Of course, figuring out where to stick the key is worthy a PhD project.
You are too accepting, BTW. First thing I would have done is reject the Jeep as a rental, insisting upon a smaller vehicle (another Jeep model may qualify?) I admire your perseverance. Cop Car

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh I asked. There was nothing but a small shriners type car that Rick would not fit in. We made it work

Mike said...

Don't lose that FOB. They can cost up to $500 to replace.

Kathy G said...

Key fobs have been around for a while. Hubby's mid-2010's Prius has one. Since he bought the car used I'm not sure if that was standard feature or an upgrade.

Nina said...

I think i will need to keep my 2017 Subaru Forester forever! It has a physical key, and my favorite part of it is how easy it is to enter and exit. I cannot manage those ginormous cars that require a ladder! My sisters both have cars with fobs, which is supposed to make life easier. But neither of them can EVER find the damned thing - kinda defeats the purpose.
Nina

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

A ladder would have been swell Nina!

Ami said...

One of 'my' kids told me I should get a Jeep. I told her that I like my cars to actually run. When my car had to be fixed after the accident, the rental car place picked me up in a very tall truck. I actually hurt my knee getting in. Dumb shits.

Hey, at least your life isn't boring, amiright??

Ami said...

Well, trying again. My first comment I think went to spam. Blogger is stoopid. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Honestly I'd like boring.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami they are here but they don't automatically post. It's 11:50p and thought I'd check before turning off phone. I have to manually push them.

bluzdude said...

Sweetpea and I have the same problem with car seat settings. She's your size and I'm Rick's. If she has is set for her, I can't even get in. And unfortunately, my car doesn't have that 1/2 memorized setting option. In fact, I'll deeply considering trading in my perfectly fine, low mileage car for the same model, only upgraded one trim level to have that option.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

We had that option on our previous jeep but since then we haven't. Then after this rental it only reminded us of the need for this.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I'm used to the key fob because my sister's car had one when we took the big road trip. I think they're a pain, and I had to remember not to leave it in the car, haha. I've been known to sit at home (or at the car rental) to browse the instruction manual. The radio? Forget about it!

Julie H said...

My friend started her car, went back in for something and then when she got to town she realized she left the fob at home. Couldn't get the car to restart. Doh!