Friday, October 11, 2024

Remote

Each time I receive a spinal injection it takes around 10 -- 14 days to kick in.
Sometimes after it is far worse. That is what happened this time.

I slept, and I use that term loosely, because I was in a bad way. I couldn't sleep, can't lay, can't stand, I'd run away if I could. Thursday morning (4am) Rick said to me that he heard my bare feet scurrying across the floor to get to the hall bath. He went on to tell me that he was a bad husband and debated whether he should get up and see if I needed help. But he was so comfy he decided I'd yell for help if I wanted it. 
That made me laugh.
He couldn't help me and I would have felt just awful to make him be up at that hour so he was fine staying in bed I told him. No guilt.

The only position where the pain was not making my eyes roll into the back of my head was in Rick's ugly chair. All I needed was a catheter. yes, of course, I'm joking....sort of. 

Rick asked if I needed anything before he went to the garage shop. He got me ice water and kissed me on the head. He surrounded me with things he thought I'd like but he left the remote on the table not near me. 

It was all fine for the first 30 minutes then I realized I could not change the station.  I could not reach the remote control.  I watched things I don't normally watch like Paranormal Caught on Camera. 

That tells you my level of pain. I'd rather sit through this stuff than attempt to get the remote because it will hurt me so much.

I couldn't take another ghost, I got up and did a interesting walk to the table and shuffled back all the while making noises because Rick wasn't in the house. I can't make them when he's near because he will feel bad and want to help and he can't help. Why is it that it feels better when you make a noise and make an attempt at what you need to do than if you are quiet and do the same? 
Or it's just meπŸ˜„

15 comments:

bluzdude said...

I believe you. I saw a study once, long ago, that showed that when people in pain swore emphatically, it actually helped reduce the pain, or at least the perception thereof.

Now you guys gotta start keeping your cell phones with you, so you can notify him next time you have a remote emergency. Or walkie-talkies.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bluzdude, yes he leaves me my phone should I need him and when I called, it rang, on the table next to the remote. Lol

Nina said...

I feel so bad for you. Your post took me back to when I ruptured a cervical disc. Pain pills didn't touch the pain, nothing did. I have always despised whiskey but was taking pain pills and chasing them with whiskey, in desperation. I hope this passes quickly and you get some measure of relief.
Nina

Mike said...

I posted this joke a while ago...
Some of my friends exercise every day, meanwhile... I'm watching a show I don't like because the remote fell on the floor.

Julie H said...

That sounds so miserable!

Abby said...

I certainly hope your misery doesn't last much longer. Two weeks?!
Feel free to swear, up AND down.

Ami said...

I am so sorry that you're in this amount of pain. I wish I could help somehow.

About the remote... back in 1984 we bought our first brand new television. The eager young salesman at Sears was pretty happy to show us several different ones. We settled on one that had a good picture but GREAT sound. As we were agreeing that was the one we wanted, Eric said, "Wait! I want one with remote control!" I laughed and said, "Honey, your chances of controlling it are already remote."

The salesman thought it was hysterical. Eric rolled his eyes at me. Not for the first time. Definitely wasn't the last.

Cruisin Paul said...

I'm so sorry hearing that you have so much pain especially at night. My wife is having pain in hear legs at night also. I hope things go well my friend.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

ooh I despise whiskey so I do Gin. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It's now my life and no joke! πŸ˜‰

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

it is. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh I don't swear it's more like, ow ow ow and then a moan or groan kind of thing. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Me too! That's a good one!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This too shall pass. Hope you're all doing well in Canada!!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I hope you don't have to wait the full 2!