Friday, October 18, 2024

FRI-YAY

 Happy Friday Blogger Buddies.

I want to address a couple of comments I got in my email regarding Rick being stuck in the chair. I was asked, why not just put his legs over the arm of the chair and jump down?  Good question. We tried this. This was where his stroke issues with his bottom half were an issue. He also was certain that 6'2" 240lbs would break the arm of the chair. 

Trust me we tried. He asked me if I thought I could do it later after getting out of the chair and I said I could even with this pain because my legs are only 25 inches long. It's just a quick thing to whip 'em around and then I'd have to use my abs to get out because of my shoulder so in that case it may take me a bit. I have a keg over my six-pack you know. 

Also if he were to scoot to the end of the chair and get his foot down to the floor he doesn't have the strength to get up from that position all the time. Oh, trust me we tried so much of that too. 
He was cursing the stroke after every try. 

I can only assume how difficult this is when you were so able to do everything without thinking on one day and barely anything on the next. Add in a sprinkle of male ego and you get a very frustrated man who thinks this should be easy and yet he can't do it. He gets frustrated and angry at himself and the situation and I feel like I would as well. 

But thankfully he can also laugh at himself. I remind him how he couldn't do much of even walking last year so remember that. 
At one point I was sitting on the floor after trying to assist and he was in the chair, we were quiet for a minute catching our breath from laughing. 
He asked, "Will you still love me if I am pee-pee boy like that stinky kid in school?"  
I burst out laughing that he broke the silence this way. I said, "Yes I'll love you but I won't get close" 
And we were back, back at the tug and pull, pushing, and getting this big guy out of the chair. We won't forget that night. I heard him tell his friend this on the phone and he was laughing. So all ended well except for the lack of sleep for either of us. But the best part of retirement is we had a nice long sleep during the day. Can't even call that a nap, it was that good. 

I'm having a good day so I want to accomplish some things today that I have been unable. Chores actually feel like something good. That should fade soon enough.

So what are your plans for the weekend?
Here are a couple of mine.




12 comments:

Abby said...

Well, I already figured you two had tried "everything" to get Rick out of that chair. I'm glad you can laugh about it and sleep it off!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Being able to laugh at yourself makes a multitude of things much better.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The more I age, the more this is true Jean.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

We have never lost power. In the 23 yrs or so in No.VA all our power lines were below ground so weather power outages never happened. Everything is different here and a learning curve for sure

DB Stewart said...

Thumbs up to laughing at yourself.
Weekend plans? Not sure if it's premiering in Canada too, but I want to watch Anna Kendrick's new Netflix film, "Woman of the Hour." Yikes.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ooh I saw the preview to that. I remember that story. It should be good.

Julie H said...

That just sounds so awful with him being stuck. Scott is a big guy and there is no way I'd be able to move him.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

😂

Ami said...

We have a lot of conversations about mobility around here. Both of us have stuff going on. Parts that don't work like they're supposed to anymore. I can sympathize and empathize. Also, when we had extra humans living here and one of them sat in the bathroom a LONG DAMN TIME due to some issues he has, I peed in a mason jar in my room more than once. Tell Rick it's not so bad and that he has better equipment for that purpose than I do. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

haven't all guys peed in a jar? :-)

Mr. Shife said...

Laughter is the best medicine. I guess Friday can't get here soon enough for you, Peg. It should be a good series.

Julie H said...

Checking in! Hope you are doing ok!