Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Power

We were watching a baseball game Tuesday night. In the bottom of the 8th, the power went out.

Great. I got the battery candles and flashlight, and we waited. The energy company said it'd be on by 1:30 a.m. Great.

What wasn't great was that Rick was in the ugly chair, which is not a manual chair. Since we needed electricity, he could not put the chair down. 

Rick's bad wife couldn't stop laughing. We tried. Oh how we tried various ways to get him out of this. Sounds easy, doesn't it? Do you know how difficult it is to get this big man out of a chair? Add his new physical issues since the stroke and we just couldn't do it. But boy we laughed a lot.


Then he had to pee. I suggested a mason jar. He was adamant we had to get him out. Bad back, bad shoulder and I'm trying to lift 240lbs. 

He was free! It was 3:30am. 
Power was back at 5:18am. 

We still don't know why the power went out. No storms, calm day.

I haven't been to sleep. Rick is in bed and out like a light. 

I expect to accomplish nothing today.
A long nap is in my future. I hope.

21 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Trapped by a recliner! Put THAT on a bingo card!

Abby said...

He looks pretty comfortable, like there are worse places to be stuck. Once you have to go to the bathroom, however, no place is necessarily great.

Mike said...

Ricks Christmas present... https://www.amazon.com/ProBasics-Patient-Lift-Hydraulic-Heavy/dp/B07SK4KHTP/

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

The older La-Z-Boys used to have a back up battery for power outages. I keep a fresh battery pack in the pocket along with the remote because those batteries are only good for one time. I feel your pain. My newer La-Z-Boy does not have the back up battery and I worry about outages when I'm in it and I make sure if there is a storm outside that I'm not using the leg lift. If it happens again you could call the fire department who can bring out a portable power pack to get the chair down. That's my back up plan but it depends on me remembering to keep the phone next to my chair when I've got my legs up.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

🤣🤣

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OOh but that was my bed.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I didn't know they had backup batteries. I have to look into that further since we lose power once or twice a year.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

HA HA Not yet, but close.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Makes sense to have the battery backup ~ I hope it has one, because it's all fun and games until you've gotta pee. :-)

Kathy G said...

I'm pretty able-bodied and can't get out of a reclining chair with a raised footrest. Maybe get a male urinal in the house for emergency purposes?

Cruisin Paul said...

That happened to me twice. I tried to get out and the chair just about flipped over to me. Eventually I had to move. Guess what? I had to pee. You tell Rick I know what it's like. LOL
I had to sleep in my chair one night. IT was OK but I like my bed better. Enjoy life my friends

Cruisin Paul

Julie H said...

One of my neighbors used to post she was stuck in her chair when the power went out. So crazy!

Mr. Shife said...

Did he make it to the bathroom or did the mason jar come into play? Enjoy your nap.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

He made it to the bathroom...just barely.

bluzdude said...

I always said those things should come with an ejector seat! Aim it right and it could launch him right into the bathroom!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Now that would be fun for me. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It is crazy Julie

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

🤣 happy weekend Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh so true

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I found the one we brought home from the hospital. AFTER, of course

DB Stewart said...

Ha! A wholly unexpected energy-crisis consequence. Also, this felt like foreshadowing to me. *struggles to get out of chair*