Thursday, October 31, 2024

Miss Me?

Thanks to those who reached out. I am fine. Well, I'm lying but it could be worse, how's that? But it means so much when others think of me so thanks for dropping me a note.

I seriously got upset with my neurosurgeon and just gave up on his attitude.
The injection this last time only made me far worse. I mean to tell you I can barely function. It's also inhumane to me that I am not given pain medication.
Take Tylenol they say. I swear if I broke my neck they'd say, take Tylenol. ARGH! It doesn't do anything at all. 

So I text my doctor through the portal as they request. I asked him
about the pain management clinic downstairs in his office. I repeat how this injection just a few weeks ago made me far worse than ever. The sign in the lobby stated it was Duke Pain Management. He said it would take a year to get in. He suggested I try outside of Duke. Or are you just looking for pain medication?
But before I saw his email response above I said to Rick, I think I need to move on. So I did.

I googled for info and I asked my primary doctor and a few others on my neighborhood app.
Several folks including 2 doctors, my internist, and believe it or not my dentist who has a family member who went there. I called and discussed my issues. I was to see them on Thursday at 11am.

Of course, then I have to google this doctor and clinic.  Does he have any malpractice? What are his grades? I spent a long time doing research. I liked what I saw with this doctor. 

I ignored my Duke portal for several days and just Wednesday night I read his comment or question to me - or do you just want medication is that what this is about?  OMG that makes me so livid. They treat me like a drug addict.

I wrote back and said that would be most helpful. but more than that I just want relief in some form. He said he couldn't give me any opioids. 
Does America not have something other than opioids? For the love of God, it's just inhumane. Do they think I'm faking it? My God look at me, I've aged 10 years in the last 2 years. I am in constant debilitating pain and asking for pain relief puts a big red flag on my chart. 

I have a sister who gets all kinds of shit. But she has had a drug issue for most of her life. She has offered me some Percocets but I won't take shit from her. I never know where she got it, is it really Percocets or fentanyl?  Nope don't need that so I live in pain. This is their answer to the opioid crisis? 

Thursday at 11am Rick drove me to the pain management clinic to see Dr. Li. He was fabulous. He LISTENED to me. He felt the hip / groin pain was something else. He gave me an injection and I felt better within 10 minutes.  I can walk better as well. Now the other pain in the back/hip/leg to toes is something he wants to see on an MRI as well as Xray. He will be sending out requests to send my films to him. 

He believes all my shots were in the wrong place. He also thinks if it is what he is assuming a spinal cord stimulator would help me more than an ablation. So while I sit here they are contacting my insurance, getting everything approved to move forward. I can't even begin to tell you how much my groin doesn't hurt and that is so damn good!  Now to fix the rest.

There is a lot more but this is boring enough. 
Let's just say I got some pills. I have taken one. We shall see when it kicks in how I feel. Right now I just need a nap.  Or maybe this medication makes me sleepy but I only took it 15 minutes ago. Either way I am doing what I was told. Taking it easy the rest of today. But I have a feeling tomorrow I will be going gang busters with 40% less pain.

I no longer wish to watch this much TV. I want to be outside where it is glorious out. 70s sunny and cool breeze. This is Peggy weather!!  Tomorrow.
At least I no longer have the pain of watching my lousy baseball team play defensively like the Bad News Bears. Geez it was ugly. They are lucky they got that far, they haven't been that good all season. I honestly never thought they'd get here. They stunk and they did not play like a World Series team so they deserved this. But I'll be sad to see Soto go.  I know, I know, it means nothing to you. 
But that has been my sad little world from the ugly chair over the last few weeks.

I have hope today. I haven't had much of that.
Let's see how long that lasts.

Gee, Spoken like a good cranky curmudgeon huh?

15 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

So sorry you have to go through all this!

Kathy G said...

Actually, I have missed you.

I'm glad to hear that your treatment seems to be headed in the right direction. Sorry to hear that the World Series sucked so bad. If the Cardinals had made it there they would have looked the same way.

Julie H said...

I'm so glad you found a different doctor to help you! I'm amazed at how they won't give you any meds. Someone must have put that you are a druggy in your file or something. So weird! We get more for simple stuff here.

DB Stewart said...

Let's hope you're back in the right timeline now. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Yes we missed you girl! I’m so glad you found a doctor who LISTENS.Can they not do a blood test that indicates if you have drugs in your system, and then give you some pain meds if they are so worried about drugs? It’s unconscionable you had to be in such pain. Crossed fingers that you are on the best road for healing. Sounds good so far. đŸ˜„Rosie

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thank goodness you found Dr Li -- he sounds like a keeper! Glad your pain has lessened and I hope in time that Dr Li can eradicate it with the proper diagnoses and treatments.

Anonymous said...

Will you be able to, or have the energy to, share with your old doctor things that are now helping you, like getting the shots in the right place or getting a better diagnosis? I understand if you just want to move on. And I’m so glad that you can! Don’t overdo it now :). Olivia

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Just my turn. :-) But me too. lol

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Seems to be Kathy. Yea, a heartbreaker all season. always next year as they say.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I was told by a nurse when Rick was in the hospital that NC is very strict on this issue. I guess so. When Rick got them it was 6 at a time. He had a stroke, he had pain, he can't walk and they wouldn't do it for him either.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks DB. I am determined to!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh I have blood drawn all the time. It's a NC thing. When I had my surgery earlier this year I got 5 percocets. I had my sigmoid colon removed. I was thankful for the 5 and honestly didn't need more but they are weird here. Maybe there was a big opioid crisis here more than other places. Who knows. I too, think I'm on a good road finally!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I already went into my portal and told both the neurosurgeon and the doctor who did the injections.
I told them I had an injection at a Cypress Spine and Pain Clinic. I told them I felt they needed to know where the shot went into me and how I have NO PAIN in my groin or the area of my leg around it. It was in an entirely different place than where you were injecting me! Being in the wrong spot entirely and not even on my back could be why I had more pain after your injections and why my pain never went away. I also thanked them for their work with me but that I have officially moved on. I am feeling great for the first time in a very long time.

Abby said...

I certainly hope this is the right corner you've turned. Either way, sounds like it's good you got the heck outta Duke!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I do not have pain that makes me think leaving this world is better, so for me it's a win, only step 1 but it's a good start.