I read an article because the headline grabbed me.
It was, "Should We All Be Dressing Up for Flights Again?"
My first thought was this was an older person like myself writing this.
So I went to the bottom of the article where they give you that synopsis of the author. Oh I was wrong, a young person in their late 20s. I have to say I was shocked yet happy. But then I hadn't read the article yet.
Over all she and I were on the same page.
I remember when flying was such a luxury and you weren't herding on like cattle. I remember when you got really nice meals, desserts and people showed some class in dress and behavior. Those days are long gone.
I am blaming it on deregulation. The death of the airline industry if you ask me but you didn't. It made the fares cheap, no more government regulating fares, no more waiting for approval for an airline to get a route, etc.
Fares were as cheap as riding a bus.
Remember People's Express? Talk about herding cattle.
So we now have cheap seats and people began dressing like they were on a bus or worse.
I firmly believe if you dress well, you behave a certain way. It's been proven with school children. If made to dress a certain way they sit differently in their chairs and they do partake in school more. No coming to school in pjs or short shorts. I would have hated it as a kid to wear a uniform but I'm old enough to remember I couldn't even wear pants to school so there is that.
Over time the dressing well became obsolete in airports and on planes.
I see many people in pajamas and slippers walking through a concourse.
I see people in all forms of dress and undress. Dress like that and trust me when I say, you will not be bumped up to first class.
I get it you wish to be comfortable on your flight. You can still do that with your ass covered and no pajamas. I'm not saying a man has to have a jacket and tie on but jeans and a nice shirt would be a nice change.
When I worked in the airline industry I was fortunate to be able to fly for free. BUT we had to dress a certain way. We all bitched and moaned but we did it. We were flying for free. Trust me the wench at the gate would look you over and if you were not up to snuff you didn't board. I only saw that happen once to a woman who was not wearing hose. To me, that's just ridiculous but this was the 80's. Working girl kind of clothes were the standard ensemble. Business clothes or no boarding.
The first time Rick and I went to Montego Bay Jamaica I suggested he wear a jacket and tie, nice pants etc. He asked why.
I said, I know you paid for your ticket but if you dress that way you can sit in first class with me. You can't be dressed in shorts etc.
I knew the girls at the tickets counter at ole Eastern Airlines in Cleveland. I went behind the counter and saw there was space available in first for us. I asked the ticket agent, Angel (and she was) if she would put us down for 2 seats in First. She obliged.
We drank champagne and Rick told me he could get used to this. I laughed and said Oh I know! When we arrived in Jamaica, we grabbed our bags and went through customs. It was hot as hell. He was in a nice pair of slacks, a nice shirt, tie, and jacket. I was in (get this) nylons, a skirt, a blouse, a blazer and heels. I too, was dying from the heat. As we stood in line he bitched, "That guy is in shorts" "Hey that woman is in a sun dress"
I said, "Yes, and ask them how much they paid?" I know you paid for your airfare but this all-inclusive 5-star resort is only costing us $35 a day for both of us and all food, drinks, water sports - EVERYTHING. So suck it up.
After this fabulous week, Rick decided he could dress any way they wanted him to because he loved this. He said as we left, somehow he was going to get back there.
Fast Forward 5 years and when we were thinking of getting married we knew we wanted to 'run away'. So we went back to Jamaica to the same resort and got married there and had another fabulous week.
Only this time we had to pay for it because I got laid off.
Only for a short time, but nonetheless, it was when I was getting married so I had to pay.
Didn't matter this place is our happy place.
8 comments:
I don't even have nice clothes anymore lol. No one really dresses up ANYWHERE that I go.
No jeans and a golf shirt? Are you one of those that wears pj's on a plane?
Yup, we used to dress up to travel, to go to the doctor, to church - quite frankly I don't miss it at all. I'd rather be comfortable. And no, I don't wear pj's - I've never owned any. I've never understood getting dressed to go to bed. As a kid I wore nightgowns, as an adult I slept nude, now that I'm old I wear an oversized t-shirt. Comfort - first, last and always.
I think everyone is misunderstanding me. I think its great to be comfy. But maybe the word decency would be more appropriate.i last wore jeans and a sweater and my favorite sketchers. I no longer wear "church" clothes but my Tit's are covered, I've combed my hair and bathed ,I am wearing shoes, not slippers and my ass is covered. We all can be comfy without looking like we rolled out of bed. Make sense?
First class with leg room! Rick should have been very happy for that.
oh I wear jeans but that's about as exciting it gets unless there is a wedding and then I have to go shopping lol
I certainly don't dress up but I do have some respect for myself so I don't look like a complete slob. It is definitely a lot more Wal-Marty - definitely not a real word but that is all I have left in the tank today.
I get what youre saying. I would never leave my home feeling like i would be embarrassed of my dress if i could help it . I may not always be appealing but will give it my best try. The effort alone is important!
Post a Comment