Leap Day did not have me leaping into the Spine Clinic that is for certain.
I did not leap when I left the Spine Clinic.
As for this moment in time I can not leap.
I was told many many times that this could take up to 2 weeks to be out of pain. I was told that in the first 24 hrs, I may feel great but then as the lidocaine wears off I may have some discomfort.
I was also told you can do this 3x in one year. Sometimes people need 2 back to back. He said I may due to all the scar tissue and all around problems. The dr said, "Let's see how you are in a couple of weeks."
I can tell you that I feel less heaviness in my left leg and it tingles and burns far less. Like 25% less. I am not having stabbing excruciating pain in my lower back either, just regular unrelenting pain.
So is it pain-free yet you ask? Hell no, not yet.
When Rick had his shots in his shoulder a couple of weeks ago they told him the same thing. It took him 3 days before the pain began to go away.
So I too will wait. I am not a patient person, so these 3 days will seem like a week to me.
I think my next step is to get a Neurosurgeon for my back.
I see the writing on the wall.
I saw an Ortho when I thought this was hip pain. He was smart enough to realize that this was all back related and after my MRI everyone knew it was back related.
So if I need surgery I want a doctor I have seen before. Discussed my back and future therapies before surgery or jumping into surgery. Having had a couple of back surgeries I know that it's scary as hell and I had immediate relief after each one. But this time it is different. Scar tissue, stenosis, protrusions, horrible arthritis, and severe degenerative issues.
I had none of this back in '84 or '97.
My belief is to discuss this with my doctor. If I have to have surgery he is already aware of what I've done thus far, what my MRI looks like etc.
I am hoping I do not need a referral. Normally with Medicare, you don't need referrals but who knows.
________
My mom was talking on the phone with me just the other day and she told me how she can't get down to clean her baseboards anymore the way she wants to. I suggested a mop across them. She said it didn't work as well as her sock.
I laughed and said, "Your sock?"
She said, "Sure. I put on an old sock and held myself up on the wall (oh that's safe ma) and put my foot across the baseboards. My foot got into the crannies and it did a good job. I threw the sock then in the wash. But damn it I did it. I didn't do all the rooms, I got tired and needed to sit down. But I'll go back to them."
Well after that crazy conversation, I decided to buy my mom a cleaning lady for her birthday. (15th) We made promises years ago no more gifts.
We need nothing. But she needs this. She is 82. (stepmom remember dont start the math)
She had knee surgery within the last 12 months. I would do this for her but I don't live up there. Those that do, don't do much to help her and she would NEVER ask for anything more than a ride to the doctor or the grocery store. She wants them to offer. I understand that but they never do. Except to grocery stores and doctors.
I called a friend up in my hometown. They gave me the name of a cleaner who is also a friend of hers. This person is going to clean the 1st floor of my mom's home. This is going to be a surprise. She will learn this when she gets her birthday card in the mail.(early)
I had to give the cleaning woman the sq footage and hell if I know. I gave her what I guess would be half since she is not doing the 2nd floor which is 3 more bedrooms and 2 full baths. If she needs more she will contact me. She didn't do Venmo or Paypal or accept debit or credit cards.I had to send a check. I did not buy checks for 15 yrs. Now suddenly moving here I need checks for everyone. What is that about? Anyhoo....
This nice woman is going to do baseboards and a full spring cleaning on the 1st floor. At least that is what I paid for less windows. She doesn't do windows dang it.
Mom lives alone with a cat. She does not go to the 2nd floor because of the stairs. Since her master is on the first floor she doesn't really need to go to the 2nd floor. She has 1.5 baths on the 1st floor. A master, a guest bedroom, a kitchen, a living room, a dining room, and a great room and laundry. So I asked if she could do all of this where she 'lives' for the most part.
Those are the baseboards she sees. Those are the rooms she is always complaining to me about. Will mom get mad at me? Probably. She will tell me this was unnecessary and all the things a mom says. I will tell her tough, she is going to go to breakfast/brunch with another sister on Saturday morning and come home to a clean home.
Her daughter, my sister, from the West Coast is coming the following midweek so she won't be stressed either that she has to do this or that before they visit...At least I hope.
10 comments:
People actually clean baseboards?
I would love it if someone sent a house cleaner over to my place!
How nice! I need to clean, sand and repaint my baseboards. We had red baseboards before and the gray paint we painted over them is not holding up :(
Ah, baseboards - I use a swiffer duster with the extendable handle - works well but I love the sock idea! Clever.
Yes Tony people actually clean baseboards. :-)
Kathy, wouldn't you though?
Julie, you didn't prime the red first did you? Prime then paint, it won't peel off. Sand, prime, paint In that order.
Grace, she made me laugh and when she told me she was holding on to the wall I feared she may fall. But God love her she did it and then took a nap. She only did the great room but that sure is big. You'll have to try the ole sock. :-)
I bet your mom will really like your spring cleaning gift. I know I will. Regular cleaners don't do baseboards and deep cleaning. As for windows, the window services are reasonable around here and plentiful.
I had to laugh at you complaining about having to start using checks. I have the opposite problem. People around here are starting to not take cash or checks and that's all I've used until two years ago.
"she told me how she can't get down to clean her baseboards anymore the way she wants to"
Do WHAT?! Your mom needs something else to do to take her mind off baseboard cleaning. Or send her to my house. She could stay busy for months.
Some of us are of an age where we were taught to clean everything every weekend (or, Fridays if one were not otherwise employed) and to clean baseboards, lintels, etc. When I mop a floor, I sit on my butt and use an old rag, a small bucket with ammonia/water in it, and a brush - and I do the baseboards at the same time. At age 86, I don't do the scrubbing bit as often as I should, but I do collect "used" kitchen towels (mine are black and they are terry) for a couple of days. Before throwing those towels in the wash, I fold them into approximately 1 square foot size, sprinkle with water, and skate myself around the kitchen floor, starting with the outer perimeter and working inward, to dust/mop - THEN wash those towels with other cloth stuff.
You are a wonderful daughter/d-i-l to get the cleaning lady in. A couple of years ago, I checked on having a cleaning service once/month. One company would contract to deep clean the house the first time out, then they sort of deep clean one room (along with normal cleaning for rest of rooms) each cleaning session. They had a waiting list, so I went with another company that they recommended - that did NOT do the deep cleaning the first time. After the 3-person crew whizzed through the house in 2 hours, I said, "Never, again." It was like having a tornado whip through.
Good luck with all your medical issues. It does not sound like fun!!!
CC
Oops! I wrote "d-i-l" instead of stepdaughter. CC
Cop,I hate that hurry through. Had that once. They didn't clean well at all. I could do that. You sure are a trooper at 86 doing all that!!
Post a Comment