Friday, January 19, 2024

Man down - Man Flu

My husband has had a stroke. But that is nothing compared to the common cold he now has.  He was easier to deal with in regards to said stroke than this damn cold he just got.OMG.

He had an appointment for a follow-up with his primary care doctor Thursday afternoon. The young and cute Dr. Alison.  I was happy his appt fell on the day of this big bad cold. 
He was showing signs that he was getting sick as of late Wednesday. No fever. Just looked like he was getting sick and the barrage of moans, groans and helplessness gave me a clue.

I got up this morning and left our home at 7:45 to get to my doctor's appointment. I got home and proceeded to remove my nice clothes to put on my retirement uniform, leggings, and an oversized sweatshirt.  
He rolls over and says, "Oh are you getting ready to leave?"  
I laugh and say, "No, I've been to the doctors and I'm home already"  
I was home by 8:45, the office was 6 minutes away.  

He gets up shortly after this as I was sitting enjoying my coffee. 
The whining began. You know this is the worst cold ever in the history of colds and men. Honestly!

He says he wants to cancel his dr. appointment later in the afternoon.
Since he is feeling awful, I point out that this may be a good time to take that appointment and tell her how you feel.  He whined some more.
Oh no, he's going to the dr and if she can give him something to shut him up I'm all for it.  
Bad, bad, wifey.

At 3:15p we arrived at his appointment. He was called back just as I sat down. Oh my, early and everything!
He comes out and tells me it's just a cold and as we drive home he feels me in on the rest. All the while moaning and holding his belly like he's gonna die. 

The traffic was at a standstill. He is upset and moaning that he has to use the restroom. I do a U-turn and head to a shortcut I think will work. I ask if he wants to stop at the Sheetz Gas Station and use the bathroom. 
He bit off my head.  I am fuming. I have no tolerance for him when he's like this. Stroke, yes, a common cold, hell no. But I am quiet because if I say anything I will flip out, best to just keep my mouth shut. No sense in starting a fight. Just get his ass home and maybe he'll take a nap. 

He is sighing, he is moving about in his seat, he is moaning. I get him to our back door and run out of the car to open the door for him. I get back in my car and put it where it belongs and think, maybe I should just sit here for a while in silence. HA HA

I go inside and he wants an Imodium, he wants water, he is dying. 
OMG, you'd think this man has never had pain. He had a stroke
This he complains loudly and nonstop for? 

I am having an issue with my hip and it's been ongoing for a couple months and getting worse. I can't sleep in bed. I can't walk standing tall, I am in excruciating pain. Don't get me started about bending. Yet I make it work. 
I don't moan to him. Hell unless you see me you wouldn't know (can't stand up completely straight)
I do not tell people. I do not say much to him. I am dealing with it and hopefully soon (feb 7) I see another orthopedic surgeon for answers.
If I behaved like him he would tell me to rub dirt on it and shake it off.
(and he has uttered those words to me when I had a torn rotator cuff!)
But if I said that to him OMG, WWIII, and he would be so pissy.
He is so easygoing until you get him sick, then look out.

So remember that nice post I wrote about him - this is the flip side.
A friggin' common cold and it brings out the worst in him, always.
I do not care for sick Rick. 
Stroke Rick is fine. Sick Rick is a big fat whiney-ass baby. LOL

Man Flu or Man Cold, either way, what a bunch of wussies.
I'd like to give him a few days of my worst cramps during my cycle. 
Or my pain before surgery this past June. Oh, he would never have been able to deal with that, not even for a minute.
He would probably jump off a bridge. 
Why are men made this way?
You know how you always hear, 'this is why men don't have babies'
I believe if men had babies, abortions would be legal.

12 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Sorry for your loss, Margaret. Your tribute/post to her is lovely.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, thank you. I was in a panic at first when i saw the word loss on my Man Cold post. Ricks alive! Oh that made me laugh. I then realized you left this comment for the previous post as I finished reading. Thx for the giggles too.

Julie H said...

Mine is still sick and still complaining but not too terribly loud since I had it first lol

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, he was tested for covid and it is not covid. He's not coughing. I had fears of the coughing that you've been writing about. That would make him worse. LOL

Bohemian said...

Here's hoping your Man gets Well so you can have some Peace. The bad Wifey paragraph had me cracking up, Men just don't make good Patients and can be big Babies when they don't feel Well. Sorry about the Stroke tho', hopeful he does not have any lingering effects from it? Strokes can be so debilitating. And Caregiving can really suck the Life right out of healthy Partners.

Abby said...

OMG, I just went through this with my husband - absolutely pathetic. I just avoid him, but heck if I didn't end up with the (common cold!) virus too.
It's a good thing I'm the one who birthed the kids.
Hope Rick (and you!) are better soon!

Mike said...

Tell that hose head to wash his hands and keep them away from his mouth and nose!

Cop Car said...

My observations are just a tiny bit different from Bohemian's. At home, a man is a horrible patient; but, in our family at least, the men become darling patients in a healthcare setting, charming all of the cute female staff and taking great pleasure in the attention they are getting therefrom.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bohemian, Yes my husband had a stroke 7.5 months ago. I've written about it all too much. He handled all of that with grace. A cold; he is a pain in the arse. He is doing well. He has lingering effects as you say, but he's alive. Well enough to whine about his cold right?

Abby, I am attempting to avoid at all costs.

Mike, I will tell him that and call him a hose head. :-)

Cop, That is EXACTLY my husband. Oh how they loved him in the hospital and the rehab hospital. Charming as all get out. He flirted with all the nurses. Oh I am familiar. Never whined and if he was upset about something he did it with such charm that it disarmed them. Me? He doesn't care. I told him I monitor your meds, you better be nice. LOL

Linda said...

Oh how I get this! Mine had a tiny abscess in a tender region. He hissed, he moaned, he gritted is teeth, on and on and on. I didn't bother to tell him that I birthed 4 children, 3 of them causing either the tearing or cutting of the exact same region. And you know what I did? I got on with being a mom, nursing, diapering, working. Yup. Man babies.

Keep your head up lady ♥

Ami said...

There's an old (pre-internet) joke about this issue.

The husband is always very dramatic about any ailment he has, telling his wife to 'get the Merck Manual' every time he feels the slightest bit off.

She finally has had enough, and when he tells her to get the book AGAIN, she makes a big show of looking up his symptoms.

"Are you overtired?"
"Yes!"
"Is your tummy sort of cramping?"
"Yes!"
"Any difficulty going to the bathroom?"
"Yes!"
"Bloating?"
"Yes!!"
"Frequent urination? Feeling overly full with a small amount of food?"
"Yes!Yes! What have I got?"
"Ovarian cysts."

Olga said...

Man with cold symptoms -- you have my complete sympathy.