I wrote a very nice blog post and it disappeared. Since you can't see it I will tell you it was funny and poignant about friends. HA HA HA
I'd write it again but I toiled over it for a long time and I don't have it in me nor remember it verbatim. I hit something and it was gone. The back arrows did nothing this time. I tried it all. Ah, blogger! So instead I went into the living room and had a hissy fit and wished I could pour myself a drink.
In other news -
Remember that Occupational Therapist Rick just can't crack?
He has called her the beast in the past and well, still does. But the beast is no longer scary to either of us.
She is a very large woman. No, not heavy but large.
She is Rick's size. Broad shoulders and has hands the size of Rick as well. I feel very diminutive next to her. I don't ever feel that way trust me!
She has been slowly warming up to him. She loves his T-shirts with words on them and one week he wore his loving dogs over humans and she made a fuss over that one. Then he had on a sweatshirt that said Never Walk Alone with an outline of a man walking alongside a labrador like Izzy. She went crazy for that one too.
Then one day he was talking about his wood creations. She told him that she loves spalted pecan. He didn't tell her he had spalted pecan.
So when he next saw her he brought a spalted pecan bowl.
She loved it, turned it around, rubbed her hands all over its smooth surface, complimented him on it, and then handed it back to him.
He said, "No, Karen this is for you. It's for all the help you've given me."
She cried, hugged him, and said she just couldn't believe it.
When he got to the lobby he whispered to me, "I broke her"
I laughed and asked how and he then went on to explain her reaction to me in the elevator.
Ever since she has been laughing at his jokes and talking more etc.
She has really helped him a great deal even when she would never smile. She is smart as a whip and she will be the first to tell you that. LOL.
I've warmed up to her but then I don't work with her either.
This past Monday she walked out with him into the lobby and began to tell me an exercise she'd like to see me help him do at home to gain some more strength in that hand/arm. I so wish I could remember exactly what he said to us in the lobby but he ended with, "Well Karen, Peg is mean to me"
That made Karen and I both laugh. Karen asked, "How do you deal with him, making you laugh all the time?"
I said, "Well Karen, trust me you don't find him all that funny after a while"
That made her chuckle.
Rick said, "See what I mean Karen? She's as mean as a snake."
As we walked to the elevator he said, "I broke the beast babe"
"You're proud of that aren't you?"
"Yep. It was my mission"
"Shouldn't your mission be to listen to her and get better?"
He shrugged and laughed.
She got his shoulder on his left side to move above his head without excruciating pain. So much easier to get dressed now. He is now even able to sleep on his left side and actually get sleep.
She has gotten his left hand to have more function.
She's tough but she's good.
Getting her to be warmer, smile, and laugh makes him happy above all else it seems. He's excited because she "plays" with him now.
I think this crazy man has his priorities screwed up.
But then what do I know, I'm as mean as a snake.😊
8 comments:
He broke the beast! Kill them with kindness... or in Rick's case, laughter. Good job.
Kindness and laughter -- so badly needed in the world on every level!!
He enjoys winning folks over, nothing wrong with that! I'm sure it's less excruciating to go through pt if you feel the person knows you better.
I always write my posts in Word and then copy them over into the Blogger template, so that gives me a permanent backup. But I still "out-finesse" myself sometimes.
Couple weeks ago, I was taking an older post to adapt for Facebook and spent about an hour painstakingly wordsmithing and editing it. Then I wanted to sit on it for a couple hours because I don't like to post anything during "business hours."
Next thing I knew, I was cleaning up my desktop for the day and deleted the doc without realizing I hadn't saved it. Much profanity commenced. I never did go back to it.
LOVE IT! I used to love to get the mean cranky old men at work. They'd love me by the end haha.
That was a great and generous gift to give her. No wonder she cried to feel that appreciated.
Way to go, Rick!
Great story, Peg.
Excellent work. Not every find someone like her to help with pain.
Post a Comment