Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Random Weekly Items

My sister sent me a TikTok video. 
I do not have TikTok downloaded nor do I wish to download it. 
I did watch the video and it just made me angry.
Some 20-something was whining about old people.   
I don't recall doing that when I was 20-something. He called them names (or me names) I was so foolish that I respected them, even if I disagreed with them. More often than not I didn't agree with the older generation but I didn't call them names or at least I don't recall doing that.

Now this kid was lamenting about The Draft. He heard there could be another draft coming soon. He was chomping on food while talking to his camera, which only made him more annoying to me.

He said there was no way 'they' could make him go to war or enter the armed forces if he didn't want to. Isn't that what an entitled snot would say? He actually said, "I mean in the '40s there was nothing to do. So that's why it was no big deal for them. I have things to do in the 21st century." 
Then he lists these things he has to do and I could have just drop-kicked him.

After I watched it I texted my sister and said, "This is the type I'd love to see drafted. He'd be killed by his own platoon soldiers"  
I think that is called fragging. At least I recall that term during Vietnam. 

I remember the draft. I was lucky that it stopped in early 1973. That was the year that my high school boyfriend's number was called and we watched it on TV while in school. Immediately after that, it was stopped. Whew is what we felt.  

I told my sister to stop sending me these awful videos. These kids make me angry. They have had everything handed to them and they don't even appreciate any of it.
Entitlement is ugly.
______

Rick is chomping at the bit to drive. I fear this day.
I was the passenger when he had his stroke while driving. 
When I have to drive on the same street to the area where he had the stroke it's like PTSD. It makes me so uncomfortable and I find myself holding my breath. Unfortunately, it's where my primary doctor's office is. So I've been on that corner a few times since the incident. The last time I realized I was holding my breath so I let it out. But it feels awful. I know, I know it will pass as time goes on, but how long? I'm impatient you know.

I think that when he drives again I will be feeling the same thing.
When they say he can drive and I do believe it will be soon, I will be a wreck if I'm not with him. I won't be great when I'm in the car either but when he leaves and I'm not with him I will be a wreck until he gets home.
How do I make that go away?  It's going to be difficult. But if they let him drive he has to drive. He has lost so much and I know this will make him feel so good. To have his independence again. I get it from his point of view. But from my point of view, it sucks.

I am off to take Rick to speech therapy.
Okay, this will be nice when Rick can drive, but...

8 comments:

Olga said...

Youth, as always, really is wasted on the young. This entitlement thing is just rampant. I am glad that I am old enough to see that my children are reasonable adults and did not turn into helicopter parents. I do blame the parents.

Mr. Shife said...

I think Olga nailed it. The young people might be just a little too entitled and have too high of expectations. Hope Rick continues to heal up and can drive himself to speech therapy soon. Take care.

Cruisin Paul said...

I know Peg everyone around me were worried when I decided to drive again. Once I got behind the wheel of my car, everyone relaxed a little better. Rick will be fine as long as you relax a little. I know it will be difficult but I'm sure he'll do fine.


Cruisin Paul

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I didn't see that video. I would have had such bad feelings toward the kid, not to mention putting me in a bad mood.

As for Rick driving, it is gonna be hard for you, for sure. I marvel at how sanguine my sister is when her husband has ANOTHER fender bender. Mind you, their car beeps when you are too close to an object. Doesn't seem to really help though. I think that you are right, though, that scary as it is, it will help Rick.
Nina

Kathy G said...

Take comfort in knowing that the medical team won't release Rick for driving until they know he's good and ready, for fear of lawsuits if they get it wrong.

Julie H said...

Having a child at draft age is really scary (more than one if they would make girls go too). They called so many times trying to recruit him and I would say stop calling and remove my number. The last guy actually argued with me and told me the schools by law have to give them our number. It old him well he's 20 now and this is not his number so don't be calling me anymore lol.

My daughter sends me stuff about boomers all the time saying "grandma" about my mom. Most people are just being light hearted but some of it is so uncalled for.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, I used to hear my parents say that phrase and now I understand it! And I too, blame the parents.

Mr. Shife. Soon, I hope soon for his sake.

Paul, see newest post. It affected him.

Nina, oh my the car beeps and your sister still is calm. Good for her! As you can see from my newest post. My insides were a hot mess.

Kathy, the dr said it was up to the therapists. He got the final clearance this week from OT.

Julie, but there isn't a draft anymore so why would they be calling your son now? To see if he'd like to join? Because they said on the news that most young men are fat and in horrific shape they are not getting the kind of men they need. I see that daily so I understood but there is no draft or your son would have no choice at all. So that is all so interesting to me.
Yes, I see those boomer things and they are usually funny, this was mean spirited and frankly not even correct.

April said...

They called my number for years for my son to join. Drove me crazy.