When we moved into this house, the former owner who was dead, left behind with her children all the warranties and items she had installed, etc.
When it came time last year for the roof we looked up her paperwork and since it was under warranty and it was their poor workmanship it was covered.
I was so very happy she left all that for us. I did the same to the new owners of our house. Rick laughed at me but he sees now that this has been helpful.
They purchased an appliance package of GE appliances. We knew they were the cheap route but they were new black stainless steel. We both knew these were awful but we couldn't afford another 10K for appliances so we had to make due. But as we have come to use them we hate them all the more. The dishwasher sucks big time.
It's loud, it has a lousy layout inside and it doesn't clean as well as our old one up north. But I saw on her paperwork it was only $600. A good dishwasher will run you upwards of $1300.
So we were not too surprised when it stopped drying the dishes this past week. Even with black Friday coming up we knew we couldn't afford another dishwasher.
Since we could not afford a new one we had to go the route of repairing the 2 yrs old crap. First, it's GE. Never have had good luck with any GE product. 2nd it was the low end of the GE appliances. So we have junk.
I called a couple of places and of course, no one returned my calls.
The 2nd to the last place I called at 4:45p I assumed wouldn't call me back until the next day. But to my surprise, the woman called me back.
I went through a lead-generating service. It was called Appliance Repair and listed the appliances they fix, LG, Samsung, GE etc. Then you put in your zip and those who service your area will come up. She called almost as soon as I filled out the form. We used something similar back in the day for our business.
She was so darn nice I was taken aback. She asked if by chance I knew the model. I told her I had the model and serial number. She said it sounds like a heating element but she wanted to check. She put me on hold and came back and said that's what they all feel is the issue, however, we don't have that in stock for that model. She told me they would order it and they would get back to me to schedule. She asked if I had more questions, I did.
I asked if she had a general idea of the cost. She apologized and said, "I'm so sorry I should have told you that already. It's going to be around $300." Okay, let's move forward. By now it's 5pm.
Within 30 minutes I got a text from her. She told me this was her cell and she apologized for calling after 5pm. She left the office when she was called and told that she could get the part here quickly and to get me on the schedule. She asked if I preferred Wednesday or Thursday. Could either of those work for us? WOW. That is what I was thinking, WOW. Customer service?! I haven't had that since moving here. But her demeanor, pleasantness, and social graces made me know for certain she was a transplant and we need more of them.
I picked Wednesday between 9 - 1pm. She repeated that 9-1 means the arrival time. I chuckled and said, "of course," She said, "Well you'd be surprised so I like to explain so there are no miscommunications"
She explained to me that the tech would call when he was heading my way. We went over the address and phone numbers.
I thanked her and then text back, 'You aren't from here are you?'
She wrote back, No I am not.
Come to find out her family moved here 11 years ago.
When they started their business they had experienced and heard all about the horrendous service and contractors/repair people here. They were determined to show them you can be successful, busy, and provide good service. I told her this was so damn refreshing!!
I miss this.
She thanked me. She was from Buffalo NY. I knew it. I mean as soon as you meet someone you know, northeast? midwest? It is so obvious.
They smile, they talk to strangers, they provide great service.
I was so thrilled.
When I stopped texting I told Rick what was going on as far as appointments and scheduling and parts.
He said, "Oh my God they aren't from around these parts are they?"
I said, "Now that's just sad that you think that"
He said, "Oh come on you must have too."
I laughed and said, "Oh, not only did I pick that up quickly I said that to her"
He gasped. "That could have been bad if she wasn't you know"
I said, "I had no doubt, I was 100% sure she was from somewhere else she was just so damn nice and friendly"
Sad isn't it?
12 comments:
I love hearing this because I really thought customer service was a thing of the past!
I can confirm that folks from other parts of the country know that this is true. I live in PA and cannot count how many times people offered me jobs over the phone when doing business with me by phone. One of our state legislators who had never met me in person tried to talk me into moving to Harrisburg to work for him. Couldn't go because of family obligations, but it was always ego boosting (and a great thing to be able to tell the owners of the company!)
So glad to hear that you are beating Betty!! Keep it up.
Nina
Although we have our share of clunkers here in the Midwest they are outweighed by individuals and companies that are polite and professional.
Glad to hear you found a 'unicorn' in your area. If I were you I'd refer others to them, and let the company know why.
I agree with Kathy. I've had few clunkers but not many.
That's great! It is wonderful when you find a company that actually cares!!
Yvonne, you got that right!
That's so funny! Jess lived somewhere up north for a bit and everyone that worked there was just horrible and miserable. Even at the Wendy's drive thru. You could tell they just hated life.
Julie, I think you meant Jesse lived in the south. She lived in north carolina right?
Yes she did but she also lived up north in CA which is where they were nasty.
Ah, gotcha Julie. Sorry I'm old and confused!
I am glad it went well for you and there's still hope when you call customer service. Take care.
I truly hate it when appliance breakdown but you were so lucky to be gifted the warranty info.
Post a Comment