Monday, September 4, 2023

Medical BS

Did you all have a nice holiday weekend?

Late Friday, around 5:30p we heard from his cardiologist regarding his test. It was via email (portal) and he said he'd call Tuesday to discuss and schedule another cardioversion. But it showed us the films, we saw all the notes and he left us a very long email. 

Ricks A-fib makes him tired and has Shortness of breathe. He was slow moving and not doing much this weekend. I know he wants this over. I feel so bad for him. He did one thing in the yard and that was it for him. Just 2 weeks ago he coukd do it all.

I just want to scream.
Let's replay this shall we?

Rick got a severe lung infection and he coughed so much, so hard, he went into a-fib.
He had a cardioversion and was immediately put on a drug call Flecainide. His heart never went out of rythmn again. 
 
We moved here and new cardio man took him off of it saying he did not need it anymore. Rick came home and was thrilled. We discussed how I felt this was a risky move. Rick poo-poo'd me saying I'm not a doctor and his cardiologist man said it was okay and it all made sense. 

Rick soon had a stroke from a-fib. I wanted to kill cardio man for taking him off.

When he had his cardioversion a few weeks ago the first thing I asked the Dr who did the procedure, will he be back on flecainide immediately? He said to consult our doctor. Argh!

At drs appt I made a big deal about this and I was poo poo'd again. Not necessary everything is fine, they said.
Ha- He goes back into afib, again. 

The doctor who said this above was the PA of the afib doctor. I didn't like her anyway. So we went to the cardiologist in this group. 

After testing they were extremely happy his ekg and pictures of his heart under stress and otherwise were all normal except afib. Cardiologist said this was all best case scenario.

He was immediately put on flecainide. Sometimes it goes back by itself with the drug. Otherwise cardioversion and contine the drug flecainide to keep it in rythmn.

Rick stayed in rythmn for 13 years until he went off the drug 

So what does all of that tell you? He needed flecainide and that damn PA wouldn't listen to us. It's pitiful that we have to fight so hard. 

So Tuesday we should have a plan. Rick can return to PT & OT. 
Derek, his PT man, called us Friday night. He was concerned and he knew Rick had his stress test that day. He said he and Karen (OT) will be a bit more gentle, and monitor signs, heart rate etc.

So there ya have it. Medical nightmare number 131.
Fun huh?

6 comments:

Bobi said...

Unbelievable! This is so disgusting and scary. I'd like to think your experiences are simply an anomaly but I know better.🙁

Ami said...

I'd try to find a way to slap them with a lawsuit. I'm not a person who thinks litigation is the answer to everything, but jesus h christ.

My dad, about 10 years ago, went to a new cardiologist. His old one moved away and he had no choice. The guy looked at all the medication Dad was taking and changed ALL of it, overnight. And BOOM, A-fib. He nearly died four times in the next few days until someone had the bright idea of changing his medication back.

It did a number on him, though. That was the beginning of his slide, and he's about to reach the end.

Fucking idiots... why do they even go into medicine if they're that goddamn dumb?

I'm really sorry this happened.

Mike said...

Rest up, number 132 is just around the corner.

Olga said...

It's a crazy world out there. I think medical personnel are so cowed by insurance oversight that they are afraid to prescribe. And then some doctors are just not as up to date or as smart as we'd like to think.
I was talking to a woman who knew her husband was having a stroke and the EMTs in the ambulance transport knew he was having a stroke. When he got to the ER they put him in a wheelchair and sat him in the waiting room for an hour. You know, because time is of the essence during a stroke.

Julie H said...

Scott always says they call it "practicing medicine" for a reason. Freaking horrible.

Cruisin Paul said...

This awful Peg. Isn't there one intelligent doctor that realizes that Rick needs help. Unbelievable. I'll pray for you both. Maybe God can hep the doctors?


Cruisin Paul