Rick has a doctor. appointment on Tuesday, and Wednesday is preop blood work etc. for his pacemaker and later that day we meet with a lawyer because we've been ghosted by the contractor doing the bathroom. Long ugly story. Thursday is the pacemaker insertion. We have to be there at 5:45am. Seriously wish they could do this shit at normal hours. Oh well. Friday appears to be a free day except to be here for my pacemaker patient. We shall see. In the meantime, an oldie for the newbies and an oldie for the more seasoned readers may wish to skip. Have a good week everybody.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3, 2013
Cake and a Little Somethin' Somethin'
When I met my husband, he told me he didn't care for sweets.
My first thought was, "Hey, great more for me!"
On one of our early date-type nights, he asked if I wanted to share a dessert.
Are you kidding me?
I said NO, I prefer my own dessert.
He laughed and said, "No woman has ever said that to me."
I asked him, "Did you notice what I ate? (salad, dressing on the side)
I prefer the dessert to the meal."
As the years have turned, he has begun to enjoy something sweet.
Or as he recently referred to it, "a little somethin' somethin' "
A few weeks ago, after a nice dinner and a glass of wine, he told me he needed a little somethin' somethin'. I turned around and said, "NOW? And since when do you talk like that?"
I assumed he meant sex. Oh silly old me.
He began to laugh so hard that his face turned red when he realized what I was thinking.
He walked over to the kitchen sink where I was cleaning up the evening’s dinner and he hugged me. He said, "Oh you are so funny, woman. I swear you dye your hair blond."
ME? What would anyone automatically think when they hear a little somethin' somethin'?
He clarified for me that what he meant was that he was looking for something sweet.
I again said, " ME? NOW?"
I now knew full well what he meant but I had to be a ball buster.
"Oh, funny woman. I meant sweet as in a piece of candy or cake or something like that."
He continued on about a cupcake or a piece of cake.
I said, " I have Jello."
He said "No."
I asked, "Would you like me to make a quick cake like a box? I have one."
"Would you?"
I said, "Okay. I'll do it."
Hey, a box cake is easy peasy so what the hell?
I just hate having a cake around because -
1. I can't have gluten and
My first thought was, "Hey, great more for me!"
On one of our early date-type nights, he asked if I wanted to share a dessert.
Are you kidding me?
I said NO, I prefer my own dessert.
He laughed and said, "No woman has ever said that to me."
I asked him, "Did you notice what I ate? (salad, dressing on the side)
I prefer the dessert to the meal."
As the years have turned, he has begun to enjoy something sweet.
Or as he recently referred to it, "a little somethin' somethin' "
A few weeks ago, after a nice dinner and a glass of wine, he told me he needed a little somethin' somethin'. I turned around and said, "NOW? And since when do you talk like that?"
I assumed he meant sex. Oh silly old me.
He began to laugh so hard that his face turned red when he realized what I was thinking.
He walked over to the kitchen sink where I was cleaning up the evening’s dinner and he hugged me. He said, "Oh you are so funny, woman. I swear you dye your hair blond."
ME? What would anyone automatically think when they hear a little somethin' somethin'?
He clarified for me that what he meant was that he was looking for something sweet.
I again said, " ME? NOW?"
I now knew full well what he meant but I had to be a ball buster.
"Oh, funny woman. I meant sweet as in a piece of candy or cake or something like that."
He continued on about a cupcake or a piece of cake.
I said, " I have Jello."
He said "No."
I asked, "Would you like me to make a quick cake like a box? I have one."
"Would you?"
I said, "Okay. I'll do it."
Hey, a box cake is easy peasy so what the hell?
I just hate having a cake around because -
1. I can't have gluten and
2. It is my kryptonite.
Also, it will be hard and dry before it is ever finished with me not eating any too.
So, as I begin to make Mr. Man, a cake. I remembered I had this recipe for a 5-minute cake to make in a coffee mug. It is the equivalent of a nice-size piece of cake.
I mentioned to him that if I could make him 1 piece of cake instead of a whole cake, "Would that work for you? "
He responded with a happy, "Damn, that would be perfect!"
So, I pulled out that old email copy of the recipe and made him the 5-minute cake.
I put cool whip on top and handed it to him.
You would have thought he was given the other somethin' somethin'.
He was such a happy camper and moaning so.
When he finished the cup of cake he said, "That was perfect. Just enough."
This past weekend we went grocery shopping.
Bringing Rick to the grocery store is always a mistake but I did it anyway.
As I was looking at my list, he was putting in butterscotch morsels and peanut butter morsels in our cart. I asked him if he was planning on making something.
He laughed and said "NO!"
"So why did you put those in the cart then?"
"Well, didn't you use chocolate chips in the mug cake recipe?"
"Yes, I did."
"I thought you might want to try peanut butter or butterscotch with the cocoa this time."
"This time?"
"Maybe this time you can make it yourself Rick it's simple."
"Maybe I could but it tastes better when you make it Margaret?"
"How old are you for god's sake?"
"57".....and he says this so proudly which makes me laugh out loud.
"It's my birthday"
"It is not your birthday until May."
"Because you love me then?"
"Not right now Bucko"
"That's okay you'll love me again later" he laughs.
Seriously this is our exact conversation in the grocery store.
Just another reason why my husband should never ever go to the store with me.
I printed the recipe this morning so he can make himself his 5-minute cake.
5 minutes total to mix up in the cup and bake it!!
I think at age 57 he can make this himself, don't you? (OK not for his birthday!)
Stay Tuned to see if he makes this.
Also, it will be hard and dry before it is ever finished with me not eating any too.
So, as I begin to make Mr. Man, a cake. I remembered I had this recipe for a 5-minute cake to make in a coffee mug. It is the equivalent of a nice-size piece of cake.
I mentioned to him that if I could make him 1 piece of cake instead of a whole cake, "Would that work for you? "
He responded with a happy, "Damn, that would be perfect!"
So, I pulled out that old email copy of the recipe and made him the 5-minute cake.
I put cool whip on top and handed it to him.
You would have thought he was given the other somethin' somethin'.
He was such a happy camper and moaning so.
When he finished the cup of cake he said, "That was perfect. Just enough."
This past weekend we went grocery shopping.
Bringing Rick to the grocery store is always a mistake but I did it anyway.
As I was looking at my list, he was putting in butterscotch morsels and peanut butter morsels in our cart. I asked him if he was planning on making something.
He laughed and said "NO!"
"So why did you put those in the cart then?"
"Well, didn't you use chocolate chips in the mug cake recipe?"
"Yes, I did."
"I thought you might want to try peanut butter or butterscotch with the cocoa this time."
"This time?"
"Maybe this time you can make it yourself Rick it's simple."
"Maybe I could but it tastes better when you make it Margaret?"
"How old are you for god's sake?"
"57".....and he says this so proudly which makes me laugh out loud.
"It's my birthday"
"It is not your birthday until May."
"Because you love me then?"
"Not right now Bucko"
"That's okay you'll love me again later" he laughs.
Seriously this is our exact conversation in the grocery store.
Just another reason why my husband should never ever go to the store with me.
I printed the recipe this morning so he can make himself his 5-minute cake.
5 minutes total to mix up in the cup and bake it!!
I think at age 57 he can make this himself, don't you? (OK not for his birthday!)
Stay Tuned to see if he makes this.
________________________
Update - 9/26/23 - he makes this all the time for himself. Well at least prior to the stroke.
2 comments:
My Melissa used to make those!
Julie, they are yummy and quick.
Post a Comment