Friday, September 1, 2023

People Watching

I posted this on Facebook as I sat in the waiting room for 3 hours Friday morning.  We had to be at the heart and vascular center of WakeMed by 8:15am. Since retirement that is way too damn early for us.

Rick tossed and turned all night and I am now a very light sleeper. 
If I hear him get up I am awake to be sure he doesn't fall on the way to the bathroom etc. If he can't sleep, neither do I. 
At 5am we decided to just get up. 

He could not have coffee or food after 11 p.m. 
Apparently, caffeine reverses the effects of this nuclear dye. 

Anyway here are my observations while sitting for 3 hours.


While sitting in the waiting area as Rick is having his nuclear stress test I am people watching. The waiting area is a sea of white hair. Everyone is talking loudly because they can't hear well. I am hearing more personal things than I need to know. I realize this is my future and it's not pretty.

As the morning goes on I am still observing people. 
Young people are dressed like shit. One gal is in her pj's, with bed head and fuzzy slippers. Apparently, there is no time to shower for the public. 
The elders are dressed well. 

A group of 3 women are sitting together with their hats on dressed well and laughing. They are so damn cute. Their laughter fills the rooms. (didn't wish to be obvious that I was snapping a photo. At one point they all had their heads back really laughing! I wanted to join them)


Young men in pants falling down their ass or worse dirty shorts with dirty t-shirts. Older men wearing dockers from the '90s with nice shirts. 
You can see the generational divide by who takes pride in their appearance for public consumption.  Fascinating. 
This is what one does with 3 hours of time spent in a large waiting room.

Now we wait to see what our next step is. I am not a patient person. 
It's gonna be a long weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys can find fun things to do over this long weekend. It's always hard waiting for test results. I think Netflix is loading up some new shows for September, so maybe you can find something to binge watch.

I loved your observations about people in public spaces. I was in a DQ recently and ended up choosing to eat my cone in my car on a hot day instead of staying in their AC restaurant because a young man was wearing pajama bottoms that were falling down around his thighs, leaving him sitting on the restaurant chair in his underwear. I'm pretty hard to gross out, but that did it for me!

Nina

Terra said...

I like how those ladies are nicely dressed and enjoying laughing together. I hope the test results are what you want.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Oh, I have noticed this penchant for not even bothering to dress in something other than pj's. With fuzzy slippers. In the grocery store with their mom's. I guess mom is tired of fussing with her about clothes? My Mom would have marched me right back to my room ~ but then, I would have never dreamed of shopping in my pj's.
It is the same at my previous work place. Anyone over 50 was usually dressed casual but nice, jeans and a button down shirt with boots, etc. But the young women? Wow. I tried not to stare but I was fascinated and a little repulsed by those choices.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nina, that is a way to ruin a perfectly good ice cream cone. :-)

Terra, I post the test results as we get 'em.

Yvonne, my mom would have done the same. She used to say, is this how you want to present yourself to the world? Normally I'd listen but I was being deviant this time.
when she asked me this, One time I said yes. I was going to a country club swimming pool birthday party. I wanted to wear cut-offs over my bikini with this T-shirt. My mom kept telling me to wear this or anything but cut-offs.Not the right place she said. She kept saying look where you're going. I was convinced she was full of it. I was only 12 or 13. (Just before she died.) I went as I wanted and I was so embarrassed. Everyone had a cover-up, not cut-offs. It may have been 1969 but my friends all looked so nice compared to me. The only thing I did right was my big floppy '60s hat. I came home and told her she was right. No cut offs at the country club. :-)

Mike said...

Any results yet?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yes Mike. See newst post.