Monday, September 11, 2023

I'm a Geezer

As you know with good news comes bad.

Suddenly Rick's heart rate plummeted to 40-44. He had such shortness of breath all weekend. We wondered if this was the medicine. The weekend was very bad. He looked gray. He couldn't walk well, he was so tired and he had such shortness of breath. He was grabbing at his albuterol inhaler constantly. (he has asthma)  

While he was napping I went over all his medication list from the hospital. 
There are 2 inhalers advised that he was not using. I grabbed them from the medicine cupboard.
When he woke up I went over all his medications once again with him. 
I suggested he begin using the ones sent home with him that he poo-pooed and said he did not need.  He would claim he only needed his albuterol. Spiriva is one of them. I told him it wouldn't hurt to use it. He did. He felt better in a little bit of time. This morning he used it again before his eye exam. Oh my goodness he was getting better.
Still having issues. 

So off to the doctor again tomorrow for an Echo to see if anything else is causing this and maybe a pulmonary doctor. Who the hell knows. I am so overwhelmed these days. And I feel for Rick. He is doing great and something will set him back again. It's frightening for us both.

Saturday I had an appointment for my haircut. 
I arrived 10 minutes early and they asked me who I was and of course, I told them and that I was there for Tonya. They all looked at one another. Apparently, Tonya doesn't work on Saturdays. 
!@#*%$@#!#$@!$  

Well, that's my luck of late so what a surprise. I am 4 weeks overdue for a cut. I need a haircut. But I never know what last-minute shit is going on with Rick. Like we had tomorrow off until 2p today - but now he's having an ECHO and seeing the doctor so I can't do shit. 
I may have to grow my hair long. HA

I have been watching more TV than normal since Rick can't do a lot in the evenings. I have noticed that a lot of commercials have music I like from my era. Yes, we all know Bob Segar's, Like a Rock for Chevy commercials. 
When I heard AC/DC on TV I left the kitchen to see what was on the screen. Imagine my surprise when it was a commercial for Walmart. 
AC/DC in a Walmart commercial? I happen to love AC/DC and the song Dirty Deeds, but it was surprising to hear it on a TV commercial.
Then I googled it and they are using a great many of AC/DC songs. 
I have to say that was a big surprise to me that the big fat right-wing corporation would use those songs. I realize it's their marketing company that is choosing these songs but they must approve it, right?

Then I saw a Fiber One snack bar or something like that with a Scorpions song, Rock You Like A Hurricane. Yep, fiber will do that to you. 😉
I think all of this is the official sign that I am very very old. 
Like a few years ago when Bon Jovi was the grocery store music and I was singing along to Wanted Dead or Alive in aisle 5 when I realized this is a grocery store, next step Peg is the elevator music. 😲
How funny that would be to hear Dirty Deeds in an elevator or Aeorsmith's Love in an Elevator. 
When I was a kid commercials were all old people's music. 
So it's damn official now, I'm apparently a geezer.

17 comments:

Jamie Ghione said...

Last week at Lowe's, "Karma Chameleon" came on, and that same night on "access Hollywood," Boy George came on to discuss the origin of the song. What are the chances?

Mike said...

I have a normal low heart rate, about 56. After my heart problem, one of the drugs they put me on was clopidogrel. It dropped my heart rate down into the low 40s so they took me off of it.

Ami said...

I've noticed 'my' music in elevators and in grocery stores for quite awhile. I don't usually sing along, but it's pretty amusing to see my chunky hubby dancing in the aisles when something he likes comes on. He used to be afraid to look foolish. LOL

Sending good thoughts your way and Rick's. Hope you can find a stylist who, you know, works when you need her!!

I have an appointment on Saturday myself. About a week late.

Cop Car said...

You can't be a geezer if such new music is from your era - lol. In my youth, our ads were often:

Pepsi Cola hits the spot
12 full ounces, that's a lot
Twice as much for a nickel, too
Pepsi Cola is the drink for you.

Our music was by Glenn Miller or Patti Page or Ella Fitzgerald....

Needless to say, I only recognized one of the songs that you mentioned.

Carry on with the daunting task of keeping up with Rick's problems and everything else. Long hair for the older set became a "thing" during the height/depth of COVID-19. Good luck!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jamie, wow, that's almost creepy, but cool.

Mike I am sitting in the waiting room fir Rick's echo. Seeing doc to go over meds next.

Ami, I love that he dances in the aisles!

bluzdude said...

One thing to remember about AC/DC and Walmart... A couple of albums ago, AC/DC released an album that was only available at Walmart, via an exclusive deal. So they've had their hooks into them for some time, which probably smoothed the way to use Dirty Deeds. (And yes, it grabbed my attention to, hearing that riff in a commercial.

Regarding "grocery store music," I had to laugh a few years back, when I was shopping in a neighborhood where the median age is fairly high... anyway,
Don't Fear the Reaper" came on in the store. I was like, "Is this a message to your clientele?" You might want them to fight a little harder to stay upright, if you're gonna make your sales numbers.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cop, ok you win. You're a bit older than me. 😉
I went full on salt and pepper during covid, I really didn't want to grow it too. Hells bells.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bluzdude, I did not know that about AC/DC and Walmart. Interesting. Guess that's why they use so many of their songs. But your grocery store story with Blue Oster Cult playing is hysterical!!

Cruisin Paul said...

You know Peg, guys like Rick & I will continue to have problems in our lives. I had just finished having my Cataract and I fell bad. I was worried about my eye Hopefully it's OK. You know that guys like us have great wives who love & at times get angry with us. We are very lucky and Mary Lou would say You're damn right.


Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, Yes he sure continues to have problems and today we found more at doctors. And you do have a great wife!

Julie H said...

I'm right behind you in the music department. I hear stuff from my time at the store all the time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, weird right?

Olga said...

I was in traffic once and I heard loud 70's music playing from someone's car at a stop light. I looked over at this old man and wondered why he was listening to that instead of, oh I don't know, maybe Frank Sinatra. Then I saw the Vietnam Vet sticker on his car and realized he was surely my age. AAAGH!

Hope Rick is on the mend. Don has all these niggling problems, nowhere near what you have been going through. Still, it makes me truly amazed you hang in there -- even if it's by the fingernails.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga this is funny and I've done it!! So has Rick. When he says, that guy is so old and we find out he's two years younger than Rick. :-)
Olga, I say I'm fine but...
I sure hope Don has passed his kidney stone.

Cruisin Paul said...

Let's not forget about you Peg. You're an angel also.


Cruisin Paul

gigimon said...

Hi
A nurse should have educated you on the medicines; albuterol is a rescue inhaler and spiriva is a maintenance inhaler and needs to be taken daily. Some people like to take a puff of albuterol before their maintenance inhaler as they feel it opens their lungs up better.
I am so sorry you are still struggling.

gigimon said...

Also sometimes a low heart rate like that causes shortness of breath because the heart is not pumping properly nor efficiently leading to decrease blood and oxygen to the lungs