Hi, I'm an idiot.
As I mentioned in a previous post my doctor's office canceled my appointment with the shoulder/ortho doctor twice. They suggested another doctor since I wanted to see someone quickly. We discussed the time and I recall saying around the same time would be great if possible. She said we can do that. End of call.
They text me a reminder & to confirm and they said the address and time again. But the idiot I am didn't bother to read it. I pulled a "rick"
I hit the yes to confirm and went about my life.
I get there at 10:45am Tuesday morning for my 11am appointment.
I check in and she says, your appointment is now at 2pm. Oh no!
I take out my phone as she is searching the computer.
I see clearly that it stated in the text to be there at 1:30 with a 2pm appointment. I sighed. I'm an idiot.
I tell her that I see what I did. She said, yes but we canceled on you twice and I see that she has you down for 11a with Dr. D. which says canceled but wasn't removed, and then they put you in here for 2p with Dr. M.
So it's no one's fault, we all screwed up it appears.
Wow.
I told her that was very generous of her because I'm the idiot here.
I asked her if I could just make another appointment and not sit here until 2pm.
She replied, "Would you be willing to see Dr. M's P.A. (physician's assistant)
I told her that I'm not having surgery today so that is just fine.
She then said they could get me in at 11:15AM.
I told her that was fine I can wait that long. Whew.
I did not want to drive back home and come back.
I was called back at 11:10a. Great! That never happens.
While getting dressed in the morning I assumed they would want X-rays.
So I thought instead of my normal underwire bra I should wear a sports bra with no wires. As I am getting dressed and putting on my sports bra, my husband comes in and inquires, "Aren't you going to the Drs? You never wear a sports bra out of the house."
Good God people when it comes to my all boobs this man is sure observant.
If I had asked him to look away and tell me what pants I was wearing or if my hair was on fire he'd have no idea.
I swear boobs are eye magnets for this man.
I digress...
I am brought back to a room at the doctor's office and she gives me a gown and tells me to take off my bra with wires. I told her I wore my sports bra for that very reason. She said, good deal, keep it on! Hey, I'm old, I've been through this before. I prefer to wear something under that dreadful gown.
She tells me to tie the gown at the top and side. I say okay and she leaves. Well, I am fighting with this gown. And it hurts like hell. I can't feel the string/tie and just before I am about to take it off to see it upfront she walks in.
She comes in and says, "Having a hard time?"
I said, "it's not nice to mess with the patients telling them to tie this behind them when they can't move their shoulder that way and I can't find a tie string." She laughs and tells me to turn around and she'll do it for me.
Then in the sweetest southern accent says, "oh dear. I'm so sorry, the tie is ripped off no wonder you were struggling. I'm so sorry. That hurt too didn't it? Ooh, I'm so sorry"
I said, "I was beginning to think you guys were messing with me"
She laughed and said, "Oh honey, Not yet!"
I went for X-rays and had my pictures taken.
They take me back to the room.
A beautiful redhead comes in who I swear is a child. She is gorgeous with Julianne Moore's red hair and green eyes. She was so nice. We viewed my X-rays and she believes this pain is a very bad case of arthritis. Gee great.
She showed me the "shards" as she called them. That even sounds painful. We went through why she felt this and showed me things. It was not anything with my rotator cuff which I already knew because the pain was in a different place but again I'm no doctor.
We decided that a shot of cortisone was going to be a good place to start along with Rx anti-inflammatory drugs. (YAY, YAY, YAY)
She asked if I did anything recently to cause it to hurt more. I said yes I was painting yesterday but quit early and made my hubby finish because it made this bark and last night it had a heartbeat.
She said no painting, Drs orders for 3 days. Okay if I must.
She saw that I had been on chemo and steroids and she asked about that. She said I bet nothing hurt when you were on the steroids. Well...I didn't feel great with them and chemo but I know you mean my joint pain. Yes, I had no joint pain in my hands, feet or shoulders as I normally have but as soon as I stopped it all came roaring back unfortunately.
Physical therapy she told me wasn't an option for this. (again, YAY!)
So I got a shot.
It felt great but once the lidocaine wore off I am hurting a bit more right now. But in a couple days, it should be great if this is the issue. I hope so. I know you can't do many cortisone shots because it will weaken the joint area so I hope it works and lasts a full year. It would sure help me to sleep.
If this doesn't do the trick I know next will be an MRI which I HATE.
It's like being buried alive.
In all honestly once I turned 51 it's been a medical crap shoot. WTH?
As I told you Dr. Tall Tan and Gorgeous told me at 51 that the warranty was out on my parts. This was all normal. It doesn't feel normal.
But here's the good thing. I am learning my way around Raleigh just by going to my doctor's appointments.
Now isn't that just damn sad and pathetic!😀

11 comments:
You should post your X-rays here so we can diagnose you too.
Wait, you found a medical office that has professionals staffing??? Well!
I hope the shot helps you. Not fun. I've had them in my knee. Won't do that again. Ughhh.
What is it with men and boobs?
Never mind, we all know.
Love the sentiment at the end. My husband is pretty funny, too. I love your blog and I’m always thrilled when you’ve posted a new entry. Can you tell I’m a newbie here?
I hate that warranty running out thing -- bad enough when it applies to refrigerators.
From the few times I have been in Raleigh, I'd say being able to find your way around is quite an accomplishment.
I wouldn't be surprised if hospital gowns were designed by the Spanish Inquisition (which nobody would expect, obviously).
Last time I needed one, they toss me the gown and say, "Put this on," and then leave. I open it up and believe me, this thing had no similarities to the human form. I had no idea what was supposed to go where.
Eventually, the guy came back in, saw me standing there staring at this thing, and goes, "Oh, you have to snap these two parts together to form an arm hole."
I'm like, "You never said there was some assembly required." This thing should have had a big IKEA schematic up onh the wall, for guidance.
And like you said, the last thing someone with a shoulder problem should be doing is trying to reach around their back to find a string that moves away from their hand with every reach.
Mike, I'm sure you'd be able to read them but I didn't get them.
Anon - welcome! This next week is crazy so you may read some older posts before you found me if I can't get time to write. Thanks for coming around it's very appreciated!!
Bluzdude, YES I've had that type of gown and like you stood there and wondered what the hell this piece of fabric was. I actually laughed out loud alone in this room. Apparently, I was heard in the hall and someone knocked on the door. They asked if I was okay. I said yes but I could use your help. I held it up and said tablecloth? coat? what the heck? She laughed and said, no one told you? Nope. I thought it was a test I couldn't pass and instead of a catscan I was having a mental test. I think they are sadistic bastards and they play these games to amuse themselves all day.
Ami, shocking right? But it was enjoyed and appreciated. So far after less than 24 hrs it does not have a heartbeat but still have some pain in another area. We shall see.
I have to tell you Peg, men love boobs. I love boobs even though I'm 73, I still love boobs. Maybe it's because I'm Italian. LOL
It's great that you were able to get someone to help you. Take care of yourself my friend.
Cruisin Paul
Paul it has nothing to do with being italian!! It's all straight men. Rick is Nordic and Scottish. Only raised by an Italian ADOPTED mom.🙂
Well, I'd say that appointment went well - other than the fight with the gown. Arthritis, yuck. I hope the shot does it's thing for you.
51 does seem to be the "magic" age.
Abby, sad that's it's true isn't it? 51 begins the decline for moi. fun stuff. Tearing a meniscus in gentle yoga says a lot to me. Pitiful and funny.
Post a Comment