Monday, January 9, 2023

Pharmacy

I have certain pharmacies I can use that are in my insurance network.
Sadly CVS is the place.
For whatever reason, I have been picking them up instead of mail order and I can't change mid stream unless the doctor sends a new Rx. 
I am seeing my doctor on the 7th or 8th of Feb and I'll have her be sure she does it correctly this time.
There is a price difference too - $3 if I go inside, $0 if mailed.

If there is an issue I have to go inside the CVS store.
Sadly there are always issues. And you can't use the drive-through. Some days someone is there, most days not there or they tell you to come inside so now I don't even bother with the drive-through.

Now all of my medications are covered except my thyroid medication.
It is not covered by any insurance. (it's not a big pharma drug is the reason why)

I had one refill left. I called to have it refilled. I went to pick it up and they said it wasn't available. But I did this 3 days ago, now I am getting low on my meds.
They tell me to come back. I came back on the day I was instructed, now having no pills left. I waited 20 minutes in line. Then the snotty young thing with dirty hair told me that they didn't have it. 
I asked, "You don't have it filled or you don't have the medication?"
She said,"yep"
OMG

So again I ask, do you have the medication in stock or was the Rx not filled yet? Again, she says, 'yep' and snickers.
I told her to cancel the Rx and she said okay and walked away.

I went to Walgreens across the street since it's using Good Rx. I stood in line for another 15 minutes and then got frustrated and left. I got in my car and looked up the goodrx.com site and saw that Walmart down the street has them. I then drive to Walmart.
I asked the pharmacy tech if I can transfer this Rx (showing her the bottle I had with me that was empty) and she said, "certainly" 

Then she proceeded to explain.  We can call CVS for the transfer, but they never answer the phone. We will text you and email you when we have it filled. You may also want to try asking them to transfer it as well.  
I tried to call CVS but no one answers.
I waited another 2 days for the transfer. Thankfully I had the pills in a higher dosage so if I cut them in half with my pill cutter it'd be the same amount. So that is what I did for two weeks while waiting for my Rx.

I went to CVS and told them I was trying to transfer and before I could finish she had me pulled up in her system and said, "we've already transferred it so there is nothing I need to do from here." I thanked her and go back to Walmart.

Walmart says they never got it. So she says to hold on. We both dialed them. They picked up for me. I said I had just been in there and was told that it was transferred but I am at the other pharmacy and it wasn't transferred.  She then proceeded to tell me that their fax was down that is probably why. (I doubted that) So I said, "here you can speak to the pharmacy"  I handed her the phone. The person in front of me says 2 words and then looks at me, "they hung up on me" 
She said dealing with CVS is pure hell, you may wish to call your doctor to just send a new Rx into us. 

I email my doctor and tell her I feel like I am caught in the middle. CVS won't transfer and is the most difficult to deal with. The CVS pharmacy says they got it, then they never got it, fax is working, but now the fax isn't working and they won't speak to the Walmart Pharmacist, can you please send a new RX for 30 days until I see you? Can you please send it to Walmart  - I gave her the address and phone number of the pharmacy.

Within minutes I get an email from WALGREENS telling me that my Rx is not covered by insurance but ready for pick up. 
OMG, now my doctor called the wrong place. 
I show this all to Rick and he said, "so now the doctor isn't helping the situation but piling onto this mess"  Yep!

I wrote back to the doctor and said that I appreciated her doing this on a Sunday but I did say WALMART as you can see in the earlier email thread. 

She apologized and immediately called the correct place.

All of this is for a lousy 30-day supply of thyroid medication.
I'd hate to think how this could affect someone who didn't have a higher dosage to cut in half for the last 2 weeks or if it were heart medication etc.

I called Aetna who is my service provider for prescriptions. I want all things done via mail so I don't have to go in there and there are a couple of the Rx's I couldn't change on my profile online. They helped me make the change to the ones I could. She asked why I was doing this. I told her. She apologized when I was through and said she hears this way too often. I told her I will likely go to another insurer next enrollment period because dealing with CVS is not worth it. She asked if someone called me would I share this. I said sure!

And get this, the good Rx price was higher than the negotiated rate with Walmart so now I only have to pay $12. Better than $25.

I was a pharmacy tech in high school for 2 years. We didn't have computers and the job wasn't easy but my goodness you could train a monkey to do better than what is going on at the local CVS!

17 comments:

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I'm not sure if you watch Sunday Morning....yesterday they had a story about Mark Cuban, who has been very successful in his endeavors and now is a multi millionaire. He has created Costplusdrugs.com which does not look to making much money on his end. I checked one of my meds, and even with insurance, it would be 12.60 through Cost plus drugs instead of the $30 I'm currently paying. I'm going to ask my provider to send them an Rx when I'm 3-4 weeks out from needing a refill. Maybe it will save you on your prescription, since it's not covered.
Good luck!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yvonne, that is my favorite show, Sunday Mornings. Yes, he is a billionaire and yes Rick gets 1 drug from his pharmacy because it is over $100 less that way!! He is looking to make insulin cheaper too. Fingers crossed. The only med I pay for is Np Thryoid and he doesn't have it yet. Oh I've looked. all because it is not big pharma.

Anonymous said...

Change out the names of the prescriptions and this exactly duplicates my recent experience between CVS and Walgreens. CVS had my script for a week but never filled it. Grrr. I have my doctor prescribe a 90-day supply instead of 30, and now I'm in the habit of getting it filled a full 10 days before I run out, just to balance our their incompetence. I mean, I get that burger joints can't find people to make a good burger now, but our prescriptions?!? Infuriating.
Nina

Gill - That British Woman said...

it's always flipping complicated isn't it. I use the Walmart pharmacy here in Canada and they are pretty good, but we have a different system than you do in the US.

Janet said...

I'm sorry you're having such problems with CVS. We've noticed that some are better than others. We had a few problems with the one we go to, but after my husband spoke to the pharmacy manager & the store manager, we seem to be able to get most things correctly. We've moved to another county (just across the line) & there's a CVS 2 blocks from us, but we haven't changed locations.

Just the thought of having to "school" the new pharmacy on our medications, is a drain. Most everyone knows us at the CVS we go to & we can usually wait until someone we know is available, if we're going to have questions. (It's also a larger CVS, so usually have the medications in stock, the close one is small, so might have to order stuff.)

Also, don't know if anyone else has this issue, but we had to give them a false phone number (we use THEIR fax #), as they'd auto-call all hours of the day or night to tell us our medications are ready. The bad part is our medications are supposed to be "fill on demand", not "auto-fill". At least this way, we can go online & see what other issues we might have, such as them calling Dr. for refill on old prescription, when the new one is sitting there with several refills. WHY?????

Jamie Ghione said...

I chose to use the Safeway pharmacy since I get most of my groceries at that store. They text me to let me know when my Rx is ready.

Anonymous said...

Janet, your comment reminded me of why I originally left CVS. They called me relentlessly to fill scripts, but the clincher was the day when they called and woke up my dying mother who was sleeping peacefully. I moved pharmacies and had not gone back until recently when I needed a new prescription filled while I was feeling pretty sick, so I chose the nearest pharmacy, a CVS. Never again.
Nina

Julie H said...

My husband just switched from Walgreens to CVS. Our WG is now only open until 7pm and not on Sunday. They now also charge 3x what they used to for his medicine.

Anonymous said...

How frustrating. I'm happy to say I have never experienced similar issues with either Walgreen's or CVS. I transferred my prescriptions from Walgreen's to CVS simply because their new location was closer to my home. I pay no co-pay for my current prescriptions and to them calling about re-fills I changed to auto refill status which has been working just fine for me. Maybe customer service is better here because there are multiple locations in my area and they try harder because customers have more options.

Hopefully you will have good luck using mail delivery. My insurance carrier offers the option of mail delivery but I see no reason to change, especially considering the track record of the USPS.

Ami said...

I had to use CVS when I worked for the asshole brigade. That was our prescription choice. They were dumber than a box of hair. Seriously.

I hate getting prescriptions filled. It seems like nearly everyone behind the counter is pretty close to hair IQ, too.

I won't use Walgreens, I've had too many bad experiences with them.

Sending sympathy your way, it's a pain in the ass to deal with shit like this.

Mike said...

I get a couple of higher cost medicines from Costco of which I am a member so I have a Costco card. The Costco price is less than half the price of my insurance price.

bluzdude said...

The whole industry is a exercise in planned frustration. I'm having a similar problem with Express Scripts (mail order) right now.

They keep doing this thing where I have RXs with 4 refills. These are maintenance drugs for BP, cholesterol, and A-fib. When I try to get the 3rd refill, they refuse, telling me the RX is expired. (it isn't) so I have to bother the Drs to send another RX.

This time, I emailed them asking why, because when I try to click the button to "Add to Cart," I get an error message on all three RXs, saying they're unable to refill.

Three days later, I get an email, explaining how I can go about refilling my RXs by using their online system.

I responded by asking them if they could have a real person answer my actual question rather sending an automated message telling me something I already know. I'm still waiting for that response. I'll probably have to break down and call them, which for me, is always a last resort.

Where do the drug suppliers get off dictating the terms of my medical care???

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow I hit a cord with this post didn't I?

Anonymous, It all boils down to no one wants to take responsibility or pride in their work. I don't care if you are cleaning toilets, clean them well. Customer service? provide some!

Gill - oh yes you do. :-)

Janet - we had that auto call shit happen too. We even went online to remove our number. I will share this with Rick to put in their fax machine number. That's funny. We tried making up a number and it told us it was invalid. So this tip may just work!!

Jamie, I can't use them with my insurance.

Nina, Ah, more CVS nightmares. I do hope someone calls me as they asked. Boy they are gonna get an earfull.

Julie, I hope it works better for you.

Anonymous, Rick has always gotten his via mail and there has never been an issue, but now that I said that I am sure we will.

Ami, fun isn't it?

Mike, yes I've used costco but their price for my thyroid is $40 more than goodrx so I am sticking with good rx. But I too always check costco. Whatever I save in Rx's I will spend in the store so there is that. :-) We used them a great deal for our dog. They had the best prices on dog Rx's.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude, Rick has Express Scripts as well. I do his online stuff because he gets so damn frustrated with them. He too was trying to fill something the other day and it said invalid when he knows he has refills. I actually called their 800 number to get it straightened out. But it took 2 doofus's to help me.

Olga said...

I'm sorry but I just see life as far more complicated now that we have all this helpful technology in our lives. It's all just turning me into a crabby old lady who just wants to become a hermit.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, agreed! And if someone would pick up the phone all of this that took 2 weeks could have been completed in less than 15 minutes. nobody wants to work I don't care what anyone says. It's not even the money. Their attitudes are so awful they just don't care.

Anonymous said...

I think it’s that the whole medical situation has become a for profit business, and is being managed as such. Employees are not treated with respect, and are only there to make money for the bottom line (and therefore top executive bonuses). The corporation doesn’t care about employee retention, or customer satisfaction (where are you going to go?). Employees are stuck, as are we. I feel it’s the same everywhere. Look at how nurses are being treated. Crushing work, no money put into more nursing schools so that more people are trained for nursing. Instead, wait till there are thousands of unfilled positions, then import people who other countries spent the money to train. Those countries lose their skilled people, but US corporations gain employees who have no recourse. If the imported make any demands, their visas are not renewed. Top Executives get bigger bonuses, and non rich kids here (including immigrant children) don’t get educated in our current system, more people are imported and the cycle continues. The rich in their flag pins talking about patriotism,meanwhile live in their protected communities, with good services and can’t understand or care about anyone else. The non rich complain about each other, and fight each other, while the top executives get richer. Olivia