Saturday, January 14, 2023

SOLD

I read a Toronto online newspaper. 
I read a few weeks ago about a couple who went on a vacation/holiday and came home to find out their house was sold out from under them. 
Someone pretended this home was theirs or a realtor was involved in the scam,  I am not certain, the story was convoluted. But nonetheless, this is in court and the owners of the home are not allowed into their home.

Friday morning I read there was another house sold in Toronto but in the nick of time, this was stopped and discovered. In this article they named the realty office that was involved. It did not mention if they were involved but it was left as something they were looking into but didn't think so right now.

How does this happen is what I want to know?

Are the agents involved or hoodwinked? How do the scammers know the people are not home? So many questions. Are there showings? Photos for online? 
It's a head-scratcher, isn't it?
I do not like my new house in NC. But if someone sold it from under me I wouldn't be happy either for a multitude of reasons.

Have you heard of such a thing? 

10 comments:

Olga said...

The chutzpah of some people is mind boggling. What a terrible thing for the people who come home from vacation and find their homes occupied by new "owners" and themselves homeless.

Julie H said...

I saw one where someone was on vacation and someone moved in. They couldn't kick her out but they came up with some weird scheme and got her out. So crazy.

Bobi said...

I have heard of this but always wondered how it happened so I googled 'deed theft' and there's quite a lot of info. Seniors are at risk and Zillow is one culprit with their "for sale by owner" option. Sounds like a quagmire but thanks for mentioning, knowledge is power, eh?

Side note, this happened a few months ago...

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/squatters-maryland-prince-georges-county-investigation/65-ffb59191-8d60-4b04-8721-02750208ee23

Ami said...

I guess the moral of the story is never leave home.

I know there are scammers here who find an empty house and advertise it at well below market value as a rental, draw up a lease and take cash from as many people as they can to 'rent' it to them. And then no one knows who it was and they've lost their money.

What a strange and angry and mean spirited world we live in.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, it's just crazy and honestly the level of mean and disgusting just keeps getting worse doesn't it?

Julie, they had to be watching the place or he/she/they posted it on social media that they were traveling.

Bobi, do you live in that area? My friend won't tell anyone when she's on vacation because of this. But if they are watching it doesn't matter they know.

Bobi said...

Not that exact area but we get DC/Balt tv stations. We don't tell anyone when we go on vacay either but hubby says it's because I'm paranoid. (I plead the fifth!)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami Sadly your last sentence I agree with 100%

Mike said...

St. Louis County now has a service we can sign up for for free that watches out for that exact situation. Yes, I've signed up.

What I've heard about in the past are rental scams. Someone finds an empty house on the market and lists it for rent. They collect the first month's rent and the deposit then they disappear. The unsuspecting dup finds out when the relator or owners show up.

Abby said...

I've heard of similar things. Freaking scary.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, this is so scary to me. Also scary is that your state voted for what is appropriate for women to wear at work in govt. please tell me I read this incorrectly!