Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Company

I have company coming. Dear Lord.
Look I am happy to see people but honestly, it's never a good time when it's sprung on you.

My cousin's kid is in Florida and driving up this way and stopping by. Her mom got me something when I was in the throes of my medical nightmare this past year. She is bringing the gift her mother never sent. Her mom would text me and say I just walked by your gift on my dining room table. I'm thinking of you does that count. It made me laugh. of course, it counts and I don't need any gifts!! Her mom has been ill and will be having surgery so she doesn't need to worry about me.

But her daughter messaged me this a.m. that she would like to come by on her way north tomorrow around 10am. 

Let me tell you what we did the last couple of days.
We had a room where the door was shut. It had boxes that needed unpacked. It had pictures (walls) it had everything I didn't get to before crashing. 

Now I am better and I want that done!  Paint and put the bed together etc. We pulled everything out. I have no need for twin comforters and duvets since I sold the twin beds. I wish I had these at that time I would have made her a deal to sell those with the beds.
Anyhoo we pulled everything out. Some things piled in the hall.
Most are in the foyer/living room. I have a throw-away pile, a sell pile, a what the hell do with do with this pile? Stacks of books that I may ask the library about (cookbooks) The list is long and it is spread all across my house. Will it get done by 10a tomorrow? Not likely. It is what it is I suppose.
Thankfully she has been to my other house many times and she knows I am not a hoarder or messy so she will just have to deal with it. She was warned. 

I just don't care for people just stopping by. I mean a friend for a quick visit or something but honestly my family always has to stay overnight.
I told her we have something Thursday night. That got us off the hook.
And we do. Which I am sure will be a blog post because this event we are going to is definitely new age and different. 
Anyway -
I mean she gave me a day's notice I suppose that is good but...

I feel like this a lot lately. 

7 comments:

Julie H said...

We used to just drop in and visit people all the time when we were younger. NEVER anymore lol.

Gill - That British Woman said...

Even with lots of planning, I am not loving people dropping in anymore!!

Mike said...

Have Rick sneak out and load her trunk up with "stuff".

Janet said...

Does your library have a description of donations they will accept? As long as the books are neat, clean & sellable, they wil accept them. Just don't want old dirty or torn books. The will add any to their collection any that looks to be something people want - new novels, best sellers, etc. The others become part of their book sales, with the money used to buy new books.

Also, do you have access to a ReStore store? They are part of Habitat for Humanity & will accept many home items that thrift shops, won't. So rugs, chairs, tables, shelves, sheets/blankets in original packaging & never used, artwork, etc.

Janet said...

oops. Should have said "This is what my library will accept..."

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Toward the end of my career I had an assistant who was a millennial. I am serious when I say that I still often think, "Oh, thank goodness I don't have to work with her any more" now that I am retired. The thing that really gets me about the quiet quitter types is that they certainly took advantage of extended hours, for example, when it was ME working late to accommodate them. But now that THEY'RE working? Oh no. I loved my job and put everything into it - I totally agree with the woman's post. I took pride in my job and wouldn't have done it any other way. I only wish that there were still some workers who felt the same way. It has been a long time since I've encountered someone who showed pride in their work. I also sense that with all of the tech company layoffs, some of these folks might learn that their attitudes haven't won them any fans among the executive suite.

Nina

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, us too!

Gill, yes, why is that? Society change? Aging change me? I wonder.

Mike, good call. I think we can do this!!

Janet, thank you. Called the library and they will take all my hardcover books. I go on Friday to drop them off.

Nina, I think you may have read two posts at the same time because your comment is listed under the post on Unannounced Company. The one posted Work Ethic is the one you are talking about here. And I agree with you. We are a dying breed those of us who take pride in a job well done!