Saturday, January 21, 2023

A Different Event.

Since moving here we haven't done as much as we'd normally do. 
First the trauma of the move and finding where to put 2300 sq ft of stuff into a 1300 sq foot home. Then the dog was ill and died, then I got sick and that was a full 6 months of nothing. So when I saw this local event being held at the local Yoga Studio on Thursday night I thought why the hell not?  
I'm feeling better every week and I want to do stuff. 
Money is always our issue these days but this didn't cost a thing so why not give this a shot? 

It was listed as an event for sound therapy, Reiki, and there would be free wine. Well, I thought I've always wanted to try Reiki and free wine is always a perk so why not? 
What else did we have to do on a Thursday evening? 

I did not think Rick would wish to go but I asked him. He laughed and said no thanks. Then a day later he said, "You know what I'll go with you what do I have to wear, and do I need to find my yoga mat?"
I told him to wear whatever is comfortable and since it was 75 degrees Thursday he wore shorts and a T-shirt and I pulled out our yoga mats. I told him to not make smart remarks because he may think this is all new-age bullshit. If he is going with me he can feel that way but keep it to himself until we are out of class is that a deal? He laughed and agreed. 

We had to be there at 7p. Because we were not 100% sure of this location we left a bit early and we're glad we did. We knew the street but we just couldn't find the building to #104 on this street. We saw 101 and 105 but no buildings for 102, 103, or 104.  We were in an alley of sorts, the road was a dead end off the main street. We'd turned our car around and tried again.

Then we kept seeing the same cars and people walking with yoga mats aimlessly so we pulled over and asked a man who we saw on the corner when we first made the turn off the main street. He laughed and said, "I think we need better signs" (like I haven't been saying this I got here!)  He directed us. A couple was walking and saw our mats and asked if we were going to the yoga studio. So they followed us. Before you know it we had a line of people following us and we had no idea what we were doing so we found that very funny. 

We get there and they were very unorganized. Couldn't just walk in. Apparently, the registration was not only on the Eventbrite sight it was on their yoga studio website and she had to keep toggling back and forth to get our info and to be sure we signed up because there wasn't a lot of room. Then she just said, the hell with the Eventbrite site just give me your info and I'll start again. Oh my goodness.

The bitch that I am, finds this so unorganized and so unnecessary. If you own this yoga studio, which the woman doing our intake info does, she should have gotten the names from the Eventbrite site and put those in her spreadsheet prior to the night of the event. This way there would not have been a wait to get in while she typed new data into her computer. C'mon, I wanted to yell, you knew about the event for 4 weeks or more, get it together! This was such a cluster the way she did it. We began 30 minutes late because of her being so unorganized.

Okay, we get inside and there are way too many people for this small room. 
But Rick and I set up so we are sitting on the floor against a wall. They said upon opening the doors to grab a place to sit cross-legged on the floor. I prefer to lean against the wall for 2 hours than just to sit cross-legged on the floor in the middle of the room so we grabbed ourselves a couple spots against a wall. If it wasn't sitting all night then no problem but we just weren't sure what the hell we were going to be doing so I chose to sit upright with the wall behind me. 

The Reiki person who held this event in the woman's Yoga Studio introduced herself and tells us what to expect for the evening. The sound was for your chakras.
I did not find the sound soothing and at one point one of the bowls made a sound that hurt my ears so I stuck my fingers in my ear. Rick found that odd but hey, I'm odd. I did not like it. I know everyone else seemed to enjoy it and found it relaxing. I found it anything but relaxing and very annoying. 

Then Reiki. God, I thought this was utter bullshit but after one gets over all the new age shit it was remarkable. We had a quick 5-minute reiki session apiece. Normally it is an hour or longer. But for the class to learn and with all of us to have a turn if we wanted it, this had to be done this way. Those who were not lying on the table were to do some of what the reiki master did. The person on the table sets the intention. For example, a woman got on the table and said she'd like help with her anger. Okay.
We all cupped our hands together over her. Rick got a jolt so hard he moved his body back. I looked at him and he made a face that I knew was going to be a good story when we could talk.  There was also a woman who got on the table and I couldn't hear her intention so I don't know what she wanted to be helped with. But again, Rick got goosebumps and I saw the hair on his arms stand up. I saw him shake his head. I should say I felt this and opened my eyes and watched him shake his head and I saw his arms at that time. When it was over he told the Reiki master what he felt. She told him after the event he should study Reiki.
He laughed because he was the biggest skeptic about all of this "new age shit" as he referred to it.  Hey, I was happy he went with a somewhat open mind. We both were very skeptical but figured what the hell. Still skeptical in all honesty. But things happened that I can't explain.

Rick got on the table and he set the intention for his heart. When her hands were over his head his eyes are closed and he can't see any of us. I kept my eyes open since it was him. I wanted to watch it this time. He got a jolt to his chest that was odd and he opened his eyes and then closed them again. When he got off the table he told her he opened his eyes because he wondered who was touching him. No one was touching him that is the point. He said it felt like someone hit him in the chest. Weird stuff. Do I understand it all? No, I do not. All in the person's head? Who knows.

It was fun though. It was interesting. It was something new. 
Afterward, we each had a small glass of wine and mingled for a short bit. 
I felt so tired and I wanted to go home.
I came home so relaxed I could barely stay awake and it was only 9:30p. 
I sat on the sofa and I could feel that I was going to fall asleep. So I got up and went to bed at 9:45p. I just couldn't keep my eyes open. Even today my shoulders are down and I feel so light and less stressed it's odd. (I'm writing this on Friday morning) 
I feel like I'm on island time. I am relaxed and chilled as I normally only get after 2 weeks in the Caribbean. 😉

I don't know what the hell all that was. It was interesting and it was sort of fun.
We got out and met fun people who knew nothing about this just like us. So it was nice to be out of the house amongst people who were not annoying or gross like the woman in my CVS earlier in the week. 

I do want to share that the gorgeous black woman sitting next to me made comments all evening that made me giggle. She came with a friend who was sitting on the other side of Rick. She said she thought this was all 'horse shit' but her friend asked her to come along. She ended up loving the sound therapy. I guess it was just me that hated it.
When this man got on the table she made a comment about how fine he was. She was funny. I told her I didn't see a wedding ring and she winked at me. I saw her talking to him later when everyone grabbed a glass of wine. So if it was horse shit for her at least she looked like she made a new friend. I said goodbye to her and said, 'go for it' he sure is handsome. She giggled.

But it's still all a bit of a head-scratcher to me of what the hell I just did and witnessed. But I am not saying I won't do it again. I honestly don't know if it's in my head or what but I am so damn chill today, Friday after all this was done. 

Ever have Reiki or a sound bath therapy session?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I've never had this experience. But I did once attempt to visit a local Reiki studio and left because I couldn't find it (sensing a theme here). Based on what you've said, I will give it another go. I had a massage in Santa Fe years ago and the masseuse asked if it was ok for her to work on my chakra - I said sure but didn't notice any big changes afterward. I'm a pretty normal-ish person with a long corporate history, so I am probably in your range of skeptical.
Nina

Bobi said...

I have a friend who does Reiki. Years ago, my back was aching at work, really bad day, and she says, 'let me Reiki you.' And I'm like, I took a bunch of pills and nothing is working, what can you possibly do? Hugely skeptical, I sit backwards on my office chair and she proceeds to stand behind me. I said, well, aren't ya gonna touch me? She said no, that energy was going to come out of her hands. So I'm sitting there with her behind me feeling stupid, pissed and my back still hurts like hell! Suddenly, I start to feel heat in my back and I know she's still not touching me. Then this warmth spreads and my pain starts to subside. I couldn't believe it! Maybe 10 minutes later, my pain was almost entirely gone. I still don't understand it, but several times since then, I've been in severe pain and she has come to my house and done her Reiki thing on me. I'm a believer and she does it for free.

Mike said...

Reiki Rick... It has a "ring" to it.

Anonymous said...

Your account makes me want to experience Reiki! Olivia

Bohemian said...

Have never had it, and probably wouldn't be skeptical of receiving 'something' out of it. It has intrigued me since you wrote about your experiences and being skeptics, but receiving what seems like Positive benefit from having gone. I'd like to try it. I used Eastern Medicine and Tribal Medicine most of my Life and found it to be way more beneficial and less intrusive than Western Medicine and I Trust it more... so all of this would be right up my Alley, so to speak. The Man used to mock my ways, until he NEEDED them when Western Medicine gave up on him and I did my "Voodoo shit" as he jokingly Calls it... and, lo and behold, he got results and Healing that was Miraculous according to his Medical Specialists who had just given grim prognosis and given up on him. They can't explain how or why he got better when he should not have even survived or should have been in a vegetative state of Being... so, I do Believe there are Mysterious ways of Healing that we don't yet understand completely, or only in part, and I'm All In so long as Healing and Positive Energy is evident and benefits any of us.

Julie H said...

This gal that lives by me did Reiki and was doing free sessions but I never went. Now she got long covid and has been super sick. I love talking to this gal though she even said she could talk to me for hours. I wish I would have went now that sounds great! I'm weird with sounds too. All my kids like to sleep with a fan on and I'm like the fan is too loud lol.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nina, I am not normal-ish but with a long corporate history and I am no longer skeptical.🤣

Bobi, I need this friend!

Mike, I like that !!

Olivia, when there is a freebie like this go for it. Got nothing to lose.

Bohemian, My last primary doctor before moving here believed in eastern and western medicine. I found great help with acupuncture and other things she had me try. All better than the drugs like percocet that made me ill. I also have two friends who are empaths and one a medium. So I am a believer of energy and healing. I've learned a lot from them.

Julie, YES you should have but next time you get the opportunity give it a go. I love to sleep with the fan on. I also love to wear my head set and listen to waves crashes on shore it relaxes me and I can sleep very well with that kind of "noise"

Abby said...

That sounds so cool, Peggy! Thanks for sharing. I've never tried Reiki, but would love to check it out. I'm going to watch for a similar "introduction" near me.
I typically respond negatively to most kinds of "sound therapy" too. I can't stand any ASMR I've tried, and find buddhist bowls, "beta waves", etc. annoying if anything.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I have never even heard of Reiki or sound therapy. I doubt the sound therapy would be something I would enjoy....some sounds really bug and annoy. I would be interested in the Reiki though. I'll have to see if I can find a session close to me.
Very interesting!

Anonymous said...

I guess I should have explained a little more. While I was pretty firmly planted in a corporate environment for more than 30 years, I had a boyfriend for a long time who was a male midwife. He delivered babies in hospitals, so he had a somewhat western perspective, but he was also involved with a LOT of things that seemed pretty out there to me. I have arthritis and have used massage, ointments, etc., because I don't want to go down the prescription medicine route, and I rarely even take an Aleve. I have even had a massage therapist use cupping therapy on me, which is kinda fringe. I guess what I meant by normal-ish is that I had to be able to "present" to the corporate types as a more mainstream person than I really am!
Nina

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nina, gotcha. We all had our corporate faces didn't we? I've had cupping. I didn't get anything from it, that I was aware of. Massage, acupuncture both of which I love and acupuncture has at times been a blessing.

Gill - That British Woman said...

never experienced Reiki, but that sounds really interesting. Great read.......

Ami said...

Until reading your account, I didn't even know what reiki is/was.

I'm skeptical of a many things, but when I was healing from the multiple surgeries, one of the treatments was acupuncture. I didn't think it would help, but I showed up for my first session anyway.

During treatment, the knee got very warm. And for about four hours post-needling, it felt noticeably better. Every session was the same, so...

I can't imagine enjoying the noise, though I'd like to try the reiki now that you've explained it a bit.

Grace said...

Sound therapy is a no for me - I've been subjected to it - and the "sounds" they used irritated the hell out of me - it was Eastern in nature and that is one sound pattern that I have little tolerance for. "Psychic healing", for want of a better term, can be helpful. I have never received it but I have given it. I regret not taking Reiki training when it was available to me. And acupuncture is Da Bomb - especially for pain management - I love it. Western medicine is not the be-all and end-all, holistic medicine has a place in the healing practice.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, I am glad to know in an odd way that this bothered others as well. The sound annoyed the hell out of me and I don't think that was what they were going for. :-) The doctor I left in McLean was top of her class in western medicine but she did it all in her practice. She helped me with acupuncture and opening my mind up to all that there is to offer in both worlds. I loved this woman. Sad I had to leave her behind. I teased her and asked if she'd move to Raleigh with me. She said in her retirement yes she would but she was far younger than me by 15 yrs.damn it!

Mr. Shife said...

A big no for me regarding Reiki or a sound bath. Maybe it is something I can look forward to when I am retired. Looking forward to hearing how things go when you visit again.

Olga said...

I love a sound baths I there's a unicorn around to ride, I'm on it! They are not for everyone though.
I have found Enentbrite to be one of the scourges perpetrated on the world by the millennials.