Monday, September 19, 2022

Beach Time

After six months of laying around, you'd think I wouldn't wish to do any more of that. HA, being at the beach is my nirvana. Some hike, some run. I need to be near water. I would prefer to be on a boat, or a raft, or a paddle board but on or around water is a must for me. It may be a Pisces thing but I've always found my peace at water's edge. It calms me. It is good for my soul.

It was a cooler day of 85 so we thought it would be nice at the beach.
We packed up a cooler, camera, and other things one needs at the beach. We have had these Eddie Bauer chairs for years. We had them at the lake house, we've used them for outdoor concerts, etc. But these have not been outside of their canvas cases in 2 yrs. We were surprised they were still intact but a few things missing or rotting like a plastic piece that fits around the drink holder. But all in all, they were fine for today's use. But this is their last year. We got them at Costco in 2001 so we got our monies worth out of them for certain.

We got situated and Rick immediately went swimming. The water was very much like hot bath water which he found horrible. I would have preferred it a bit cooler but not much. It was more like a pool than a lake. I like a pool 😁
We were at what is normally a guarded beach. Since the season is over there were no lifeguards. But they had bathrooms here so that is why we went to this area. The area we always went to with Izzy was remote but I brought water to drink and then having to pee is an issue for me because no, I will not pee in the lake, a pool, or the ocean. I'm weird I know. 

There were a few people on the beach. 2 young women on a blanket. 
An older couple like us in front of me. 
A family behind me with a little child who yelled, mom, mom, mom, MOMMY, MAMA, MOM MOM, MOM, MOM, MOM, MOOOOOOMMMMMYYY!  I was ready to answer this little kid myself and pretend I was his mom. How can you ignore this? I guess only a mom can.
Finally, his mother came to the water to see what he wanted. 
Honestly, this kid was a bummer. After yelling in English he began yelling in Spanish. Rick called this kid "birth control" and of course, I laughed.

Then another family came in with a child who screamed so much I had to turn around. I didn't want to look for fear the mom would think that I was judging her but for the love of God this kid sounded like he was being abused. No abuse happening, just a tantrum to beat all tantrums. That poor mom. It was 2 families of moms and their kids. I'd have a drink after that one!

I grabbed my book to try to get lost in the sound of the water lapping on the shore and a good story and ignore the shit around me. I realized my book was on the top of the cooler. It was not quite behind me and not quite next to me. It was between both chairs in an odd way. I leaned to the left and I went down!  As I leaned to the left my whole chair came with me. 
My broken ankle got twisted in the straps for the footrest. 
Now, I am laughing like crazy! Each time I tried to get up it would rock me back. I did a full-on crunch and held it while trying to get my foot free. Remember I am sideways on the sand. No luck. I was howling and Rick heard me while doing his laps. 
He yells, "Are you okay?"
Oh, I don't know, I'm laying sideways with my legs in the air like a turtle on his back what do you think? I gave him a thumbs up. I mean I was fine I just needed to get upright. I wasn't hurt, my glasses that are under me may be hurt but I wasn't. If I hadn't been thrown into a fit of laughter I think it would have been easier. How could you not laugh? 
The more I tried with my legs and arms flailing it was funny to me. But there I was laughing and on my side with the chair upside down and not a soul offered a hand to help me up which I found odd. Rick is still doing laps. I was down like this for a solid 5 minutes easily. If I saw an old bat on the beach like this I'd want to laugh too but I'd still go over and ask if I could help him/her. At the very least I'd yell to the person and see if they wanted help. I'd also help a young person even though I too would probably laugh. Boy, I bet they videoed this though to show others to laugh. 

Finally, Rick is out of the water coming toward me. I think to myself I can just lay here and wait or just try one more time. I counted to 3 and Viola. 
I got untangled and got myself upright just as Rick got to my chair. Oh, I was still messing with the chair but I was now standing.

He was laughing and said, "you were laughing and I could hear you out there and it made me look up. how the hell did you do that?"  
I explained and he just laughs and shakes his head. "Ah, my clumsy wife." Then he said, "none of those men came over to offer a hand?" Nope. 
He sits down in his chair and states the obvious, "we've really gone downhill, haven't we? I'd help a person of any sex or age what is wrong with people?"  I have no answer to that Rick. It was all fine and it was damn funny.

It was a glorious day. I don't know why laying around at the beach doesn't make me feel guilty but laying around my house does. Rick was doing laps inside the taped-off area for swimming. He swam back and forth a great deal. Guess who was sore by that night? But since he has very bad arthritis in his feet (just saw dr. for it) walking is bothering him a lot. He has been skipping some mornings of his daily walks of late due to this pain. He needs to exercise he says but nothing is appealing to him. I suggested swimming. 
He loves to swim, which is good for you and less harmful or painful on his joints. But he poo-poos me all the time when I suggest going to the Y. 

Friday night after things settled down the soreness crept in for him. 
But he said it was a good sore. I understood that. Then he said as if no one has ever said these words before. "Maybe I should look into the local Y and see about swimming several days a week. It would be good exercise and help with the feet issue." 
All I said was, "You think so Rick?"  
He laughed. He knew.

So this week we are going to check out the local Y that I have wanted to see about joining and see if there are any classes or things I'd wish to be a part of. I think we can get a 7-day free trial so we may start there. 
I know during the day it should be a pool of adults or fewer people. 
I know if there are a ton of kids he won't want to go.

That is Rick down by the water setting up our chairs as I am walking back from the restrooms. 
This was the other older couple in front of my chair who laughed along with me but sure didn't offer a hand. 
Rick resting after a few laps against that yellow thingy. He did so many laps I was going to tell him he didn't have to do them all in one day! He swam along that yellow line and the posts.
There were several posts like this. He did 4 posts as 1 lap and then back again. I sat on my fat butt and watched.
Here's my Big Guy 

It was a very nice day. We think we'll go back this week but mid-week not a Friday. Hoping fewer people that way. Less screaming children at the very least. 
If they aren't your kids, screaming children are not fun for R & R. 

10 comments:

Ami said...

I *work* with kids and can't stand the screaming. Our rule is that we can scream if we are hurt or scared. Otherwise, no. And no, you aren't scared if one of your friends is chasing you on the play structure. I'm glad you're getting out and about. Regarding the feet, I have arthritis in mine, too. A thing that changed my life was getting orthotic inserts from my podiatrist. It's a pain in the ass to get used to them, but wow. Even when I've been on my feet all day they heal up overnight. I had reached a point where I thought I'd be watching life from a wheelchair. No joke.

I sent you a card like the end of July... guessing you didn't get it. Let me know, it was hand painted. ;)

Cruisin Paul said...

It's great that you & Rick had a chance to rest for a change. I wish I could go to a beach or a pool but I can't for now. Sorry for that yelling kid. Things like that really affect your day. See ya Peg..


Cruisin Paul

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you didn't undo any progress on the ankle. Probably your laughing kept you from getting any help but still---
Had to smile at "birth control". Thought a similar thought last time in doctors office. A young boy--about 4-- was screaming in the waiting room. I was feet away and no--he was not hurt. He just had a voice that made the windows vibrate.

Julie H said...

Even when they are your kids they aren't any fun when they are screaming haha. How fun to have a lake like that. All our lakes are disgusting now that I know they are all filled with ag run off lol. Who want to swim in manure water. It amazes me how many people don't offer help. And if you call them out on it you're a Karen.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

The beach is my happy place too.

Mike said...

We have free memberships to the Y through our health insurance.

Mr. Shife said...

My wife and kids completely agree with you about the beach being a happy place. They love it and whenever we go to the coast, they are in heaven. Hope the next visit is better and no screaming kiddos.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, I sent you an email re: card. Will send another so to not bore everyone here.

Paul, is it too cool up there now to swim?

Patti, My ankle is swollen beyond belief right now and I'm wondering if I did do something to cause this. Oh well. It is what it is.

Jean, 😊

Mike, you must have United health care. The Y asked us about that. We do not. Our supplemental is Bankers LIfe and A and B is just medicare. But they give a great discount for seniors so we shall see.

Mr. Shife, it makes us feel bad because kids should enjoy the beach. So when they are acting up neither of us wish to shame the parents or get upset because that is what kids do for heaven's sake. But we did wish for a quiet day that day. But hey it made for a topic on my blog and that damn mom, mom mommy kids reminded us of a commercial we see all the time for an animated show. So we did laugh...at first. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, ok your lakes sound gross. I think I'd stay away from them too.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I love the beach, but not when it's so terribly hot. But we live so far away from any beach, that it would be a road trip to get to one.....and I'm done with road trips this year! Lakes are just not the same. There is a cabin we can stay for a day or two that has a beautiful little stream a few steps away, with a really nice deck. Might have to go there soon.