Friday, September 2, 2022

Annoying Habits

Quiet holiday weekend here.

Rick is working on a commissioned piece that he wants to complete. I wish to finish my bathroom. I can finish it all today except behind the toilet. I was short some beadboard so need another piece damn it. And painting behind the toilet is not a fun process. I can barely fit in the area to get the baseboards painted and I cuss a lot to myself while doing this. 

I got an inexpensive shower curtain for this bathroom. 
In my old home, the master had a glass door. 
The 3rd-floor guest bathroom had a shower curtain. 
My last shower curtain was used at our old home on that 3rd-floor guest bathroom. I got that shower curtain from Pottery Barn in the early 2000s. 
It still holds up and it is very pretty but it no longer matches.  
Because it doesn't match I was looking for more online. 
OMG, the cost of a shower curtain is ridiculous. Not the liner, the actual curtain, the pretty outside part. 

It was $79 and far more for a shower curtain. Most were around $109. 
I know I never spent that much at Pottery Barn years ago. 
So then I went cheap. I started with Target. As I strolled past a boatload of $11 ugly ones I found one I liked. I looked at the price, $54.  Is it just me or is this a lot to spend on a shower curtain and I'm out of touch? 
I did all the cheapies, Walmart, target, kohls, etc. I settled on a $15 on-sale curtain from Kohls's that looked nice online. I was hoping to spend around $30 so this being on sale was a choice. I put it up yesterday and it looks like a cheap $15 shower curtain. It does not hang well. You know like a cheap dress or skirt. The "drape" is the issue.

Now I am just disappointed but it will have to do for now. Geez, when did these get so expensive?  I feel like my parents right now, so out of touch with the reality of prices. My father thought a bag of groceries was $15-20 or less. Once when I was visiting he got upset when my mom said it cost $50 when she got home. It's only 1 bag what are you buying he'd ask? 
That is how clueless I am feeling about this.  Oh well, the bathroom is no longer that glow-in-the-dark bright turquoise that the former owner loved; that is all that matters at this point.

Today is also a fun day for cleaning my fridge. Rick does not notice or do this kind of thing. While I was down for the count I noticed, but just didn't have the energy. So today that will be tackled along with washing the kitchen floor. It's embarrassing how much food Izzy was getting and it was unbeknownst to me. Speaking of Izzy, 2 nights ago we both had dreams of her. Similar dreams too. God, how we miss this dog.

In other news - 
There were 3 times yesterday that I got happy about something and was about to bop around and move my arms in a way like I was cheering and realized I couldn't on this damn ankle. This occurred 3 x throughout my day and I thought what the hell am I doing?

Then I went into the kitchen and said to Rick, "Before all this ugliness of chemo and 'roids did I bounce around a lot?"  After his 3 minutes of howling laughter and snorting, he shook his head yes. Then he walked to me to hug me and said, "oh my God I've missed you!"  I didn't get it. Apparently, I have not been animated and I am normally very animated so he says. 
Then he reminds me of the time I was given this card from Tom Wilson who was watching me at the other end of the bar. 
Okay, but I was telling a story I say to him. 
Yes, but that is exactly who you are Margaret.  YUK.

When he calmed down he said, you do this, and he imitated me. 
"I do? OMG, how often do I do that?" 
"All the time." He can't stop laughing at me. 
I do? Why have I never noticed this about myself? What a pain in the ass I am. 
He said, "you've always been that perky person bopping around, you never sit still." 
"Really? Well, that's fucking annoying."
He laughs again and says, '"No, that's you"
"Yeah well, it's annoying!"
This morning I almost did it again and I caught myself. 
He saw me and said, "go for it" 
Nope.
He said remember how your Uncle Angelo would say, "Peggy's here" just like the man on Everybody loves Raymond? 
Yes, I do remember.
Well, it's that kind of energy of happy happy happy.
You've been so miserable you forgot about happy.

I don't completely understand but now that I know of this annoying trait I will be very conscious of it and try to stop it. He finds it endearing. I find it annoying. Why has no one said anything? I asked my cousin who called me to check in on me. He laughed just as hard as Rick did and told me, "oh my goodness your energy is something that I love about you. It's not like your arms are in the air. You just are a bit bouncy and perky. 
Hmm...
I told him I'd take it ONLY because there is nothing left on me that is perky.
That at least made him laugh this time.

Yes, my Uncle did this each and every time I'd walk into a room. I don't know why but he did it from the time I was a kid to the time he passed away.
I never asked, I just knew if I walked into the house or somewhere he was this is what I heard. One weekend I drove up to PA to visit him in the hospital. I knew it may be the last time I'd see him alive.  There he was in his hospital bed and when I walked in he did this again. 
God, I loved that man. He was always smiling and happy and given his life circumstances at times he was remarkable.
Now, I'm going to go out and tackle my day and try very hard to not be annoying.

8 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Energy, bouncy and perky are adjectives we would all like as labels. You are a natural so go with it--especially as you feel better. And that you have an original Tom Wilson is a treasure. I read that link, what a night to remember.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Patti it really was a glorious night. What I didn't say in the piece was the bar was all men and Joan and I thought we hit the jack pot. But it was a gay bar unbeknownst to us. Tom found that hysterical that we didn't know, but we were both new there. I have been so lucky in my life. With being in the travel industry I have met some fun and interesting folks on my travels. Tom was one of them. As for those labels, I'm not seeing the nice but Rick insists once I'm completely out of my chemo/roid fog I will be just fine bouncy and all. Those adjectives just remind me of boobs. :-)

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

When I redid my bedroom in the old house I had the shower curtain stick piece shock too. But I ended up with one that was almost $200, an artist painting transferred to wonderful cloth. I loved it so much I took it to my new place and have it hanging in my door-less closet opening. Hold your noise to the price and buy what you like. Curtains make a such a big statement in the room and you'll never be happy with a cheap one.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean you Rick and I all know I won't be happy with this one! :-)
I'm going to be on the lookout for what I like. I mean we look at it daily, it's in my hall bath so if I had company they too would see it.

Mike said...

"It does not hang well. You know like a cheap dress or skirt. The "drape" is the issue."
I've been told that before.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Omg.are you and Rick on cohoots?

Olga said...

That is such a cool story about Tom Wilson and your entertainment value in the bar! Re-emerging perkiness has to be a really good sign, too.

Julie H said...

Oh that is so cute, so nice when people are excited to see you! I get that occasionally at the bar. It is kind of embarrassing but at the same time I love it haha.